Rogue.Andromeda.AV Trojan

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
Trombone

Rogue.Andromeda.AV Trojan

Post by Trombone » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:42 pm

The Rogue Trojan Rogue.Andromeda.AV got me well and truly last weekend. For the first time when replacing a faulty Graphics card I decided to use the "update driver" option in device manager. The download seemed to proceed normally but at the time I thought it a bit long. This is where the Trojan hitched a ride and settled on my system with sudden and disastrous results.I have 2 large capacity HDDs each with 4 partitions.The Trojan dug itself in on drive J:\ the final drive on the second HD. On rebooting the computer after the installation of the "new driver" it was impossible to start Windows.Just endless bios start and run to Windows where all goes to black. The boot menu presented all the options but no option was able to be initiated.The virus was removed eventually and the system seems to be OK. I did find a reference to the rogue in HKey_classes_root\*\shell\AV after the dust had settled and deleted that. I just wonder how it decided to settle on J:\(Is there a re-director still hiding ??) and I think it better to leave Wizards alone and download/install drivers manually. Be warned as I have a full set of armament "protecting"my system (all updated daily) and was still caught in the blink of an eye. The August issue of PcUser has a timely article about this affliction which was very helpful.

Good luck! from a walking wounded trombone.
Regards Bone