Spam Block is ilegal

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Your legal advice would count for more if I could understand it. Why don't you drop the legal advice and tell us all why your friend has been inappropriately treated, so that it can be rectified? I doubt if anyone wants your friend to be blocked without cause.

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 pm

thank you for deleteing my post nice to know you care about the truth! my friend was blocked with a total redirect for hosting an email server with its own smtp server as we are want larger email attachments.

looking forward to your reply

faithfull truthfully mishka

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:07 pm

mishka wrote:my friend was blocked with a total redirect for hosting an email server with its own smtp server as we are want larger email attachments.
Your friend should learn how to setup the email server correctly then, as spam should not be possible in a mail server setup correctly, in an environment where the users can be trusted, with appropriate measures in place.

Google "Open Relay", as this almost certainly will be the cause of the spam block, and failing that "Virus scanner", the other cause of spam block.

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:13 pm

i was the one that set up the email server. i am an IBM platnum member and work for ibm. i have been installing email servers for the last 4 years and i assure you that no one other than an active directory user, could send an email as this is a test server and has not been fully implamented. There are a total of 2 users on that server sent 9 emails in total while yes they were silly messages to our other acconts they under the antispam act do not count as spam.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:16 pm

The second point applies, Virus sending spam emails.
We'll have the spam email with headers in our system, if your friend is concerned, they should contact us so we can review and confirm the spam email (some mail servers put their host name in as well).

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:19 pm

seccond rule does not apply as this is not a system on a dmz and has adiqite anti-virus anti-maleware and a very very good hardware firewall with rules to prevent spam in and out of our systems!

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:21 pm

mishka wrote:adiqite
As previously advised, you should ask your friend to contact us (residentialsupport@exetel.com.au), spam reports don't magically appear, and for the IP address to be blocked, it would have been involved in the spam trail, and the connection therefore blocked.

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:26 pm

how about your magical line of we will charge you for a report if you require proof?

and "miricals do happen!" just not in the australian Telecommunications Industry.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Why is your friend hosting a mail server on a residential connection?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:44 pm

IBM is a great Linux supporter, and I've found its people to be quite professional. Could you set up a Linux based mail system for your friend, and kiss Windows malware goodbye? You'd be unlikely to have an open relay by accident either.

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm

if you go to the top and read you will see why. but just for you

A. larger email attachemnts!

B. no email limit!

C. the server is a test server for a connection to be set up at a later date!

D. what does it matter if a residential customer wants there own email server?

E. Why is it exetels bussiness?

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Dazzled wrote:IBM is a great Linux supporter, and I've found its people to be quite professional. Could you set up a Linux based mail system for your friend, and kiss Windows malware goodbye? You'd be unlikely to have an open relay by accident either.

The app we are useing is linux based we are testing it as aposed to exchange and other microsoft based servers. we just needed somthing to link with active directory it is on a seperate machine and is running linux joind to a windows domain to allow active directory user accounts as the email accont

edit: sometime in the near future we will be trying the same server on a windows machine to see if it works better.

edit 2: as stated in other posts it also runs its own smtp server that requires authentication that has an auto block for 24 hours preventing mail form an ip that gets there cerdentials wrong 3 times.
Last edited by mishka on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:53 pm

If the charge for the report is what you are disputing, we'll just find out what host details are recorded in the spam report.
We can't do anything for the specific, unique issue applying to this service, and as you aren't the account holder, neither can we discuss it with you.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:53 pm

there are no restrictions on running mail servers on Exetel, I've had multiple servers on Exetel connections for years running their own mail servers, some doing large volumes of mail, one was blocked once because an infected machine on the network started pumping out spam and rightly so, it was generating around 500 messages per minute, once the infection was cleaned up the service was restored and hasn't been an issue in the 18 months since then, in my experience you don't get tagged for minimal amounts of mail, it takes quite a large volume before this happens

mishka

Post by mishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

i will login to the server now double check the logs and edit this post to tell you my findings.

logs show a total of 9 emails and 140 failed login attempts that is it.