Spam Block is ilegal

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby jokiin on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 pm

mishka wrote:i will login to the server now double check the logs and edit this post to tell you my findings.

logs show a total of 9 emails and 140 failed login attempts that is it.


is the server the only machine on this connection?
User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
 
Posts: 3421
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby SysAdmin on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:08 pm

We don't block people for no particular reason. If you need us to track down the original report then your friend will need to put in the request for it (as the owner of the connection).

Andrew
SysAdmin
Exetel Staff
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 am

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby mishka on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm

the interesting thing is how off topic we are i was mostly complaining that the total ban is unessorsery you could just set up a firewall rule that will stop port 25 if more than for examples sake 6 emails per minute are sent block the port that is the problem not the whole connection. and no it isnt the only machine on the network but once again somthing would show up on the firewall logs if there was a problem and the firewall logs are clean. but yes if a system is spamming your network protect your self and block the port.
mishka
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 am
Location: brisbane

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby JasonM on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:20 pm

It takes more resources to block a port of a connection, and the issue may be left unattended (viruses for example).
Blocking the connection is less resources (we don't need firewalls blocking port 25 for X user only), instead, the IP is changed, and connection booted, block page displayed.
JasonM
 

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby jokiin on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 pm

mishka wrote:the interesting thing is how off topic we are i was mostly complaining that the total ban is unessorsery you could just set up a firewall rule that will stop port 25 if more than for examples sake 6 emails per minute are sent block the port that is the problem not the whole connection. and no it isnt the only machine on the network but once again somthing would show up on the firewall logs if there was a problem and the firewall logs are clean. but yes if a system is spamming your network protect your self and block the port.


if it's not the only machine on the network then I would be having a close look at the other machines, regardless of what the firewall logs indicate, the problem is likely anywhere other than this mail server you've just setup, I send and receive hundreds of emails per day through my own server, you would not get blocked for the handful of emails you're talking about
User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
 
Posts: 3421
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby mishka on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:31 pm

My friend has sent a support ticket for further information on the weekend so i will be leaving the rest in his hands thank you for all your reply some were helpful others were not
mishka
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 am
Location: brisbane

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby phoenixx on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:31 pm

I run a windows based mail server - but even I am not crazy enough to trust active directory-
are your permissions :specific users, "all users", "computers" or "everyone" there is a difference
is your relay setting SMTP or IP restrict open relay (hello spams from spoofed ips) is your smtp authenticated encrypted, or plain text, do you run NAT port forwaring, or port map redirects
is your nobody, support or guest account enabled, are you running any hacks to allow you to run things on the system account
was active directory installed during installation or enabled after the fact. There may be local users accounts still in there somewhere you cant see anymore but mysterously still work.
(i have a client with a server with active directory half installed somehow, the users somehow are both local account and active directory, but adding a user to either doesnt work.. figure that one out)

If your mail server is linux calling in to an active directory, are you running a cut down linux distro that allows root login with no password..

are you using exchange, outlook or internet explorer... at all. Nuff said there..

Sure you may get everything up there right.. but geez man, look at all the crap you have to check through just to run a mail server using Microsoft *laugh* security. There are too many things that can go wrong and let someone in. Use something simple, self contained with a central enrypted user database, dont spread your mail server out over half your network. Otherwise you have a nightmare tracking spam problems like this.
phoenixx
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:13 am

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby mishka on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:50 am

i assure you that active directory does not controle the email server you have to make the mail boxes for each user the email server askes active directory can this user login. yes root has a passoword i hva checked everything i needed to. i would also like to point out i would not touch exchange with a 40ft pole if i didnt have to damn clients this is a tes to get rid of exchange from a network that i manage. though exporting the mail boxes will be a nightmare its worth it in the end.
mishka
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 am
Location: brisbane

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby mishka on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:51 am

as for your active directory / SAM issue thats a new one to me how did you manage that?
mishka
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 am
Location: brisbane

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby thomashouseman on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:31 pm

James wrote:Why is your friend hosting a mail server on a residential connection?


Why the hell shouldn't he?

I've run one for the almost 6 years I've been connected to Exetel and no-one has complained. I even had to liase with Network Admin early on in Exetel's life when he blocked all emails to AOL except from Exetel's mail server. (and mine now :P)

My entire family benefit from my own houseman.id.au domain name and all have their own email addresses. Think of it as a residential mail server on a residential connection :mrgreen:

Seriously though the ability to own/host one's own mail server etc is one of the reasons I switched to Exetel in the first place and I don't like talk from Exetel of them dis-allowing this!
User avatar
thomashouseman
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby James on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
James wrote:Why is your friend hosting a mail server on a residential connection?


Why the hell shouldn't he?

I've run one for the almost 6 years I've been connected to Exetel and no-one has complained. I even had to liase with Network Admin early on in Exetel's life when he blocked all emails to AOL except from Exetel's mail server. (and mine now :P)

My entire family benefit from my own houseman.id.au domain name and all have their own email addresses. Think of it as a residential mail server on a residential connection :mrgreen:

Seriously though the ability to own/host one's own mail server etc is one of the reasons I switched to Exetel in the first place and I don't like talk from Exetel of them dis-allowing this!


Hi Thomas,

I meant, why is he hosting a BUSINESS email server on a RESIDENTIAL account, no problem with you or anyone hosting their families email.

James
James
Exetel Staff
 
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby thomashouseman on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:46 pm

James wrote:Hi Thomas,

I meant, why is he hosting a BUSINESS email server on a RESIDENTIAL account, no problem with you or anyone hosting their families email.

James


Phew... that's okay then :)
User avatar
thomashouseman
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie

Re: Spam Block is ilegal

Postby vk3xem on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 pm

What a joke 'Spam Block is ilegal'! Get real, as far as I'm concerned any IP address that is SPAMMING should be blocked.

In the last 30 day's my SPAM filters have blocked a total of 9028 emails that have been SPAM. So why the hell should I have sympathy for anyone spewing out this crap, whether it is intentional or not?

Clean EVERY computer hanging off the offending IP address before you even think of trying to unblock your service.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM
User avatar
vk3xem
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE

Previous

Return to Virus / spam / spyware issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron