Spam Block but seems clean.

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention

Spam Block but seems clean.

Postby xrodent on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Folks,
Being a new exetel customer for just over a month now, I was quite surprised when i went to log on this afternoon and i get the Spam Block Page.
I've just completed the scan on the computer that was accessing the internet and apart from the usual tracking cookies, no virus was found.
Scanned with AVG, Spybot, Adaware, ThreatFire as well as Norton and Hijackthis. Nothing was found to be out of the ordinary.
Now the only thing that was actively accessing the net last night on this computer should have been 'utorrent' and im thinking this is where my troubles have come from.
I recently figured out how to get Universial Plug and Play working for ports on my router and so decided to set utorrent to stop using a specific port and pick one at random each time.

Now what im proposing is that utorrent has somehow selected the port used for mail (25 or 80) at 'random' and this is what has caused the block?
Anyway, I've disconnected the 'supposedly infected' computer from the network and when i regain internet access (in 2 to 3 hours) will download some personal favourite programs and transfer by usb to see if anything is lurking deep in the computer, rootkits or similar.

Probably the biggest upset is that my VOIP is down because of this....seriously uncool :(
As Exetel clearly have the ability to allow *selected* browsing, Ie, the Exetel Members Facility, Forums, Exetel Homepage etc, maybe they should consider still permitting VOIP to work. Don't know if this is possible technically?

I take it there is NO way to speed the unblock process up?...lol
xrodent

Re: Spam Block but seems clean.

Postby xrodent on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:59 pm

ok, access has been restored... i will start digging to see if i can find anything and update..
xrodent

Postby jokiin on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:30 pm

xrodent wrote:ok, access has been restored... i will start digging to see if i can find anything and update..

if you've got wireless there maybe have a look at your router logs and see if anyone else has been on your connection, the router logs might also show any errant activity so could be worth a look regardless
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby xrodent on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:57 pm

no... its not that...we live in a rural area and i've tested the limits of the router....certainly doesn't reach outside our property or even close.
but actually, I'll admit...I have found 3 trojans (so far)...cannot believe it...guess i just got lax.... still not sure if they are the reason as the scan is still processing...
just jumped to 4...now 5. WTF!
lol.. I guess i should be thanking exetel? :)
xrodent

Postby xrodent on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm

BTW: Avira Antivir Personal is the one that has picked them up...
AVG didnt notice them...
xrodent

Postby Fredstar on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 pm

Just got two notices from AOL.
Scanned with everything ive got and seems clean, AV is Symantec Endpoint Protection, im gonna try Avira and Kaspersky now, im bloody sick of this...

Hey xrodent, can u tell me wot sort of trojans it found?
Fredstar

Postby daggy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:30 pm

i've had my net access blocked twice now in the past 24hrs & can't work out how the spam is being sent.

when it first happened last night about 6pm I hurriedly scanned my 2 pc's & laptop for any signs of malware or virus, I use NOD32 Security Suite & have done for the last 10 yrs or so & never had problems with this sort of thing previously.

the NOD32 Sec Suite embeds itself into Outlook with it's own spam filter so i'm a bit perplexed, it also is on auto update for every time I log on to my PC.

all systems came up clean & i've only had Outlook running on 1 box today with what I thought to be the safest of my email accounts, i say safest because I know the misses subscribes to a few shopping newsletters & such so I figured if the spam came from any of my accounts it would have been hers so I deliberately made sure hers wasn't connecting.

I've taken the drastic action of deleting all my email accounts & creating new ones plus have added Exetels $2 p/mth spam filter just to be sure I don't get hit again.

now the only problem I have is that I haven't as yet had the Exetel Spam Block page come up like it did last night. once that presents itself I can then try to get my connection opened up.

should I be rebooting my router a couple of times to reset it so the Block Page comes up, can't recall how it all worked last night, 1 too many Coronas maybe....
daggy

Postby daggy on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:11 am

ok, 11 hrs later & still haven't been able to get to the Block Spam page, router syncs ok but no connection :(

any ideas anyone?
daggy

Postby Tim K on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Can you please PM me your phone number through the forums so I can take a look?
Tim K

Postby daggy on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 pm

thnx Tim but I ended up getting it sorted, all good again :D

Cheers Dags
daggy

Return to Virus / spam / spyware issues