How to stop Spam

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
daggy

How to stop Spam

Post by daggy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm

how do I stop spam originating from my email addresses.

I deleted all of my @exemail addresses last week via my Exetel account login & haven't used an email client on my PC's since then, I am now only using Yahoo webmail but I am continually having my service suspended due to spam supposedly coming from my PC.

I would only occasionally check my Yahoo mail a couple of times a day through my browser, IE8 on an XP SP3 box with all Microsoft updates & running NOD32 Smart Security.

if my @exemail addresses no longer exist how could this be possible :shock:

I want to do whatever is required to prevent having my service suspended twice a day.

has anyone else experienced this before & what did you do to rectify it.

Cheers Dags

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: How to stop Spam

Post by jokiin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 pm

daggy wrote:how do I stop spam originating from my email addresses.

I deleted all of my @exemail addresses last week via my Exetel account login & haven't used an email client on my PC's since then, I am now only using Yahoo webmail but I am continually having my service suspended due to spam supposedly coming from my PC.

I would only occasionally check my Yahoo mail a couple of times a day through my browser, IE8 on an XP SP3 box with all Microsoft updates & running NOD32 Smart Security.

if my @exemail addresses no longer exist how could this be possible :shock:

I want to do whatever is required to prevent having my service suspended twice a day.

has anyone else experienced this before & what did you do to rectify it.

Cheers Dags
Ok, I think you may misunderstand what's happening, there is spam originating from your IP address, you would have an infected machine there that is spewing out spam, it's not actually from your own email as such so deleting the accounts doesn't stop the problem, you need to run a virus scan, malware scan etc to find the cause of the problem, you will have a trojan or similar that is using your machine to create the spam that is getting you blocked

daggy

Post by daggy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 pm

thanks for the prompt reply Jokiin.

I have run a number of scans already of the past few days, both with NOD32 & Spybot S&D, all come up clean except for the odd cookie tracer thingo's which are fairly common.

my main PC which tends to be on almost 24/7 & was just reformatted on Sat'day when I installed a new mobo, so I know this one is definately clean.

the other PC in the spare room runs all the same AV software & such & those scans are also clean :?

do you think maybe I should format that one too just to be for certain. I always set-up my PC's with partitions so a reformat is fairly straightforward & not much of an issue for me.

don't really know what else to do :cry:

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

try Malwarebytes on both of them first, Spybot is good for the most part but there is still some stuff it doesn't pickup, not familiar with NOD32 to know how good that is or isn't but a second opinion couldn't hurt, even the free version of AVG or whatever it's called these days

if you still have no luck, download hijackthis, run it and post the log file here

daggy

Post by daggy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:15 pm

thanx Jokiin, malwarebytes did the trick, awesome bit of kit. seemed to find things that the others didn't.

looks as though our spare room PC was the culprit, our xmas/new year visitors had been the only people using it recently so have obviously they clicked on something they shouldn't have.

i'm not too impressed with Spybot S&D now after using it for several years I always thought it was the bees knees but not anymore, hip hip hooray for Malwarebytes :D

Cheers Dags

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 pm

It's good to hear. What fails to impress on the other hand is an operating system that is so easily compromised year after year - the others aren't. Don't throw away Spybot, because the champion malware finder is constantly changing. Hijackthis that Jokiin mentioned keeps a very close eye on Windows, and it wouldn't hurt to learn how it's used, ready for any next time.

If the spare computer is just for guests, consider installing something like Mint on it: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php It needs no malware protection at all, and is similar enough to other computers for anyone to use, with a full complement of applications and media players present by default. The guide is at that link.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Dazzled wrote: If the spare computer is just for guests, consider installing something like Mint
I use that on a couple of machines, excellent distro that you can leave in the hands of a novice without them getting themselves in trouble

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:22 pm

daggy wrote:i'm not too impressed with Spybot S&D now after using it for several years I always thought it was the bees knees but not anymore, hip hip hooray for Malwarebytes :D
The preferred options for spyware / virus detection /etc (and Linus distros for users willing to take the plunge) tend to change every 6-12 months. 2 years ago, AVG was a good suggestion for a free product but most would agree that it is probably inferior now. NOD32 usually gets good recommendations but it is great to hear that Malwarebytes performed well for you.

General advice: revisit forums like these every year or 2; we're more than happy to voice our recommendations and you can then make an informed decision.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au