Spam Block seems suspect?

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
frankyman

Spam Block seems suspect?

Post by frankyman » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Exetel, today around midday our adsl service was blocked by something (upon entering a site into address bar we were redirected to a http://blocked.exetel.com.au/spam page) claiming to be exetel stating that one of our computers has been spam emailing through an exetel account and that to regain access we had to delete the virus, enter our service number in the webpage and confirm that we would not send anymore spam. It then stated that the internet would reactivate after 3 hours. The webpage also stressed that it was an automatic process and that contact with Exetel was pointless. After this 3 hour period and internet page typed into the address bar automatically redirected to https://www.exetel.com.au/secure_pay/index.php which stated that an account for a Mr Robert Thorp required a payment of $46.50 to continue access and offered 3 payment options, however I then rebooted my modem router and internet access resumed as usual. This page appeared on both a home pc and a iMac in our home, so it is not an individual computer fault. Please advise if this was actually exetel's doing or if somehow a party has gained control over either the modem or a certain part of exetel's network and made this appear. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this,
Matt

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Spam Block seems suspect?

Post by jokiin » Sun May 09, 2010 9:23 pm

better to open a support ticket with a link to this thread, your post here probably won't get seen by those responsible to check into this otherwise

frankyman

Post by frankyman » Sun May 09, 2010 10:03 pm

I did that too, but thought I might see what you guys on the forums think. Thanks anyway mate :)

frankyman

Post by frankyman » Sun May 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Update: Just got a reply from exetel that it was indeed their block service and that the service can have problems if the modem is not rebooted after submission of the form. Thanks for you help anyway