How to report spam?

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention

How to report spam?

Postby flash on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:50 pm

I've been receiving spam over the past couple of days which appears to have all come from the same exetel customer's IP address. I forwarded a few of these to residential support, and even got an autoreply that I had a ticket number - problem is, my account has no tickets showing and the spam hasn't stopped.

I chose to email support rather than stick the IP in a public forum, so what else am I supposed to do? There may well be an exetel customer who is either infected or being used to relay spam and I can't seem to get any action happening on it. I still don't want to put the IP on the forum - I'd much rather have it done rather more discretely than that. Surely there's a better way.

I'd be happy to PM the IP address to someone to have it sorted out if requested.
flash

Re: How to report spam?

Postby jokiin on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 pm

PM me the ticket number and IP address and I'll ask someone to follow up for you
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby petemoss on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am

I got spam this morning, to my exetel email address. Now, I'm curious how they got my email address, it was some 'invite' from 'GreenOliveTree' at facebook.

1. My exetel email address is ONLY used for email between myself and Exetel (I use another domain for all other emails).

2. We do have a facebook account, but it is linked to some (old) Yahoo account, not the extel address.

3. I run Ubuntu/Linux, so we can rule out any virus/trojan, etc,etc.

Regards,

Pete
petemoss

Postby Dazzled on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Pete, is your address a dictionary word, or a name likely to be on a Christian or common surname name list, even if mis-spelled a little, like 0 for o?

Every addy I have that satisfies the above is spammed from time to time.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby cc2 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Would reporting the Spam to spamcop help?
you could set up account and report the spam to them and they will look into it.
www.spamcop.net
cc2

Postby petemoss on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Dazzled - Thanks for your reply.

CC2 - Yes, I do use Spamcop.

Pete
petemoss

Return to Virus / spam / spyware issues