email scam

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention

email scam

Postby mortshag on Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 am

Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 7.06.01 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 7.06.01 AM.jpg (237.16 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
Attached is a screen dump of a scam email I received. The person who created this must have learnt English from reading a Victorian novel..."poised to open an investigation" !
mortshag

Re: email scam

Postby thejeg on Fri May 13, 2011 8:29 am

Peter Haggstrom wrote:
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 7.06.01 AM.jpg
Attached is a screen dump of a scam email I received. The person who created this must have learnt English from reading a Victorian novel..."poised to open an investigation" !

Thank you for opening up a thread !!! this will be useful for the rest of the forum users :)
thejeg

Postby CoreyPlover on Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I love the fact that scammers like this send an email which purports to come from the "Exetel Webmail Team" but that has an email address of "no@hedgehog.dnsmaster.net". They aren't even attempting to hide their fake identity. I'm quite glad that most scammers are morons like this; makes it easier for users to spot the scam
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby samarium on Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Unfortunately, some of the users are the equal of the scammers.
samarium

Postby thejeg on Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 am

samarium wrote:Unfortunately, some of the users are the equal of the scammers.

yes! we get few compromised accounts more often, due to accepting/providing information to these spam emails :?
thejeg

Postby Captain Kermit on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 pm

I've heard people say that scammers have begun to deliberately use poor English/obvious tricks so that if they get any replies they know it's someone who's likely to not notice it's a scam half way through. Unfortunately they're always getting smarter and trickier. I came here this morning to report a similar email, they didn't address me individually, just as "Exemail user" and a link directs to a site not even trying to cover itself up (199.192.xxx.xxx/online/index.html).

Is there an exetel address we can forward these to by any chance?
Captain Kermit

Postby udara on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Captain Kermit wrote: Is there an exetel address we can forward these to by any chance?

Yes :) , you can forward these emails to "spam@exetel.com.au" this will train our spam filters . However we cannot guarantee that all spam will be filtered out :(
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============
udara
Exetel Staff

Return to Virus / spam / spyware issues