What is the way to report spam received from @exemail addy?

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
steve sydneyside

What is the way to report spam received from @exemail addy?

Post by steve sydneyside » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:02 am

From time to time I am the recipient of Spam that comes from a computer that has had a security breach. The spam contains an email addy with a @exemail.com.au, so I pose the question,,,
:?: What is the way to report spam received from @exemail addy
I do not wish to out the addy publicly although it is up the the forum moderators to edit if this happens (this can make the problem worse for the addressee)
Is there some way I could use the :idea: PM function within the Forum :idea: and send this type of (@exemail.com.au) spam to your :arrow: "paid for" spam protection program? I would think that you could set up a "FORM" that would eliminate all other addresses and also an automated email could be sent as a "Exetel notification" to the subsequent account holder within the current charter agreed to upon signup to the Exetel product disclosure?
Cheers
Keep an eye on where your going and life will have more meaning - Don't become cynical..

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: What is the way to report spam received from @exemail ad

Post by stevecJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 am

steve sydneyside wrote:From time to time I am the recipient of Spam that comes from a computer that has had a security breach. The spam contains an email addy with a @exemail.com.au, so I pose the question,,,
I do not wish to out the addy publicly although it is up the the forum moderators to edit if this happens (this can make the problem worse for the addressee)
Is there some way I could use the :idea: PM function within the Forum :idea: and send this type of (@exemail.com.au) spam to your :arrow: "paid for" spam protection program? I would think that you could set up a "FORM" that would eliminate all other addresses and also an automated email could be sent as a "Exetel notification" to the subsequent account holder within the current charter agreed to upon signup to the Exetel product disclosure?
Cheers
Hi,

You may forward these spam email to spam@exetel.com.au in order to train our spam filter.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:42 am

If the ultimate Received: header field contains an Exetel IP, in the past I've emailed the message to Support, with a comment that an Exetel user appears to be spamming (usually inadvertently). A staff member can then confirm what has happened and make private contact with the customer. Most will be pleased that someone has helped them rather than having the chop applied.

Most other fields are spoofed.

The same goes for repeated iptables intrusion logs on your router, particularly those probing for Windows exploits (DPT=445 etc), from Exetel IP addresses. These might sometimes be a user error, but repeated attempts are usually coming from infected machines as well.

steve sydneyside

Post by steve sydneyside » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

stevecJ wrote:
steve sydneyside wrote:From time to time I am the recipient of Spam that comes from a computer that has had a security breach. The spam contains an email addy with a @exemail.com.au, so I pose the question,,,
Cheers
Hi,

You may forward these spam email to spam@exetel.com.au in order to train our spam filter.
If I remove the addy that belongs to me (and replace it with smudge@exemail.com.au) will this still "train" the filter
Dazzled wrote:If the ultimate Received: header field contains an Exetel IP, in the past I've emailed the message to Support, with a comment that an Exetel user appears to be spamming (usually inadvertently). A staff member can then confirm what has happened and make private contact with the customer. Most will be pleased that someone has helped them rather than having the chop applied.

Most other fields are spoofed.
On a side note when my phone downloads message headers -only- the same spam gets sent through to me again. It's the same because in Webmail "Thread View" the next message appears below the original. I assume this could have something to do with a "Ping Back" to the sender/spammers host (dns server?) I only noticed recently because the phone Email client stopped (working) getting fresh messages and the second thread did not appear?!?
Keep an eye on where your going and life will have more meaning - Don't become cynical..