Need advice about new connection problem

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
iainpople

Need advice about new connection problem

Post by iainpople » Thu May 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi,

We have just moved into a new house. Before moving in I started the process of signing up for an ADSL2 service with Exetel. I have been an Exetel customer at my previous house for the last 4.5 years and have been very happy with the service.

A technician was scheduled to connect the new service, however I couldn't be at home on the day of the appointment. I called Exetel to inform them and they said that the wholesaler (Optus) still wanted to send the technician and if there was a problem they would make a second appointment.

So after the first appointment there was no dialtone. We scheduled a second appointment. The telstra technician came out to the house and had some trouble locating the phone cable from the street into the house. In his words "I pulled on the cable from the pit to see if it would move and eventually it snapped". He then told me that he needed to access the conduit pipe running into the house by accessing under the house. The house was renovated by previous owners and from what I can see there is no easy way to get access under the house.

From talking to the previous owners I suspect the following has happened. I believe that they had an Optus cable service which included some kind of virtual phone service which doesn't use the Telstra copper in the street. As a result the phone socket in the house is not connected to the street. So it seems like the only way to get a phone service inside the house is to cut out some access under the house, find the previous conduit pipe with the telstra phone cable and get a telstra tech to feed through a new cable.

I have had some trouble explaining all this to the Exetel tech support and at this stage they want to send out a technician again. I am starting to think it would be easier to install an Optus cable service but I have read pretty bad reviews on Whirlpool.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to install a phone service from the street into the house without accessing the old defunct line under the house.?
2. If it turns out that it is not going to be possible to install a phone line will I be penalised for cancelling the service with Exetel ?
3. Am I going to be charged for all these visits by Telstra techs?

Any other advice on how to get a working ADSL connection?

thanks, Iain.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Need advice about new connection problem

Post by Dazzled » Thu May 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Optus hybrid cables are usually aerial. If so, can you locate the old Optus network termination point high on a wall? You might find the internal phone cabling terminated up there.

The Telstra guidelines for houses are at http://www.telstra.com.au/smartcommunit ... s_1108.pdf if that gives you any ideas. Telstra normally comes in underground in suburbia.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Thu May 31, 2012 3:43 pm

iainpople wrote:Hi,

We have just moved into a new house. Before moving in I started the process of signing up for an ADSL2 service with Exetel. I have been an Exetel customer at my previous house for the last 4.5 years and have been very happy with the service.

A technician was scheduled to connect the new service, however I couldn't be at home on the day of the appointment. I called Exetel to inform them and they said that the wholesaler (Optus) still wanted to send the technician and if there was a problem they would make a second appointment.

So after the first appointment there was no dialtone. We scheduled a second appointment. The telstra technician came out to the house and had some trouble locating the phone cable from the street into the house. In his words "I pulled on the cable from the pit to see if it would move and eventually it snapped". He then told me that he needed to access the conduit pipe running into the house by accessing under the house. The house was renovated by previous owners and from what I can see there is no easy way to get access under the house.

From talking to the previous owners I suspect the following has happened. I believe that they had an Optus cable service which included some kind of virtual phone service which doesn't use the Telstra copper in the street. As a result the phone socket in the house is not connected to the street. So it seems like the only way to get a phone service inside the house is to cut out some access under the house, find the previous conduit pipe with the telstra phone cable and get a telstra tech to feed through a new cable.

I have had some trouble explaining all this to the Exetel tech support and at this stage they want to send out a technician again. I am starting to think it would be easier to install an Optus cable service but I have read pretty bad reviews on Whirlpool.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to install a phone service from the street into the house without accessing the old defunct line under the house.?
2. If it turns out that it is not going to be possible to install a phone line will I be penalised for cancelling the service with Exetel ?
3. Am I going to be charged for all these visits by Telstra techs?

Any other advice on how to get a working ADSL connection?

thanks, Iain.
Hi Iain,

Could you please PM your service number so I can look in to this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

iainpople

Post by iainpople » Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Dazzled wrote:Optus hybrid cables are usually aerial. If so, can you locate the old Optus network termination point high on a wall? You might find the internal phone cabling terminated up there.

The Telstra guidelines for houses are at http://www.telstra.com.au/smartcommunit ... s_1108.pdf if that gives you any ideas. Telstra normally comes in underground in suburbia.
Yep, pretty sure I can see the optus termination point near the roof on our external wall. When you refer to the internal phone cabling, do you mean the cabling that is provided as part of the Optus hybrid service?

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Iain,

I've got your PM and one of our support engineers will be contacting you soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu May 31, 2012 5:31 pm

If you have more than one phone, the internal cabling is normally part of the original Telstra service. Optus HFC technicians usually intercept at the network termination (possibly the first or only phone point if the house is old) and divert from there to the high level new box.

iainpople

Post by iainpople » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 am

Looks like I might finally be getting somewhere. Had a visit from another Telstra tech this morning. He is going to organise for a quote to get a new line run in from the pit in the street. Has anyone got any idea how much this is likely to cost? Around 3-4m trenching before drilling through the wall for the socket.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:52 am

iainpople

Post by iainpople » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:41 pm

So now I am calling around electricians trying to find someone who can install a lead in cable from the property boundary into the house. I'm not even really sure what to tell them really.

- Do i just get them to cable up to the boundary?
- How do they leave the cable?
- Who do I contact to get the cable on the property connected to the pit? (Will there be additional charges for this?)

To be honest, i feel like I have been left high and dry with very little information to work with. As far as Exetel is concerned my ticket is closed. Even though I don't have a working phone line or ADSL connection.

ruzkyz
Exetel Staff

Post by ruzkyz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi,

As per the conversation yesterday, Please call the number that we have given and mention to place the leading cable.

They will have the case details which will help to lay the leading cable since it is not present.

Cheers
Last edited by ruzkyz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iainpople

Post by iainpople » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:21 pm

ruzkyz wrote:
Hi,

As per the conversation yesterday, Please call the number that we have given and mention to place the leading cable.

They will have the case details which will help to lay the leading cable since it is not present.

Cheers
Hi, thanks for your reply. I called the contractor number supplied by Exetel but they are busy at the moment so they suggested that I call an electrician in my area. I am trying to find an electrician that can do the work, however I am not confident that I have all the information that they will require. Also I am not sure what to do once they have installed the cable.

ruzkyz
Exetel Staff

Post by ruzkyz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm

iainpople wrote:
ruzkyz wrote:
Hi,

Cheers
Hi, thanks for your reply. I called the contractor number supplied by Exetel but they are busy at the moment so they suggested that I call an electrician in my area. I am trying to find an electrician that can do the work, however I am not confident that I have all the information that they will require. Also I am not sure what to do once they have installed the cable.
Hi,

I Hope the conversation we had , cleared the your query. If you require any further clarifications, it's best to give a call so we could discuss this further.

Reference : 5189651

Cheers

johnnygamer

Post by johnnygamer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey there mate, I hope you will address this issue to the law enforcement and will get everything solved, I am quite shocked to hear such cases acquiring and that they energy provider company does not instruct their workers properly and I strongly believe that decent customer service is the only way to sell your product. I also encountered such workers but they actually came for a good use go prevent a possible fire outbreak, he came to my door also asked about the bills and by the learned text he told me that the bill is to high and that my energy provider is scamming me , but I did not failed to notice that my bills indeed got higher but the provider did not increase the price or nothing in my household has changed in terms of energy consumption , I decided go call a trustworthy professional company www.sparkelectrician.com.au for a check-up turns out I had severe problems with my wires that could cause so much trouble that I was grateful that I opened the door that day . Hope you will solve this problem with the company my friend