Constant dropouts over the last couple of weeks

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
CCCs

Constant dropouts over the last couple of weeks

Post by CCCs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am

Hi,

We have had constant drop outs with our ADSL connection.
I have swapped out the modem and filter and still it hasn't fixed it.
We had the phone outlet fixed inside the house, but the problem still persists.
There is constant static on the landline and so I think we need to have a technician come out and have a look at our line.
What's the best way to pursue this issue?

thank you for your prompt response.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Re: Constant dropouts over the last couple of weeks

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 pm

CCCs wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am
Hi,

We have had constant drop outs with our ADSL connection.
I have swapped out the modem and filter and still it hasn't fixed it.
We had the phone outlet fixed inside the house, but the problem still persists.
There is constant static on the landline and so I think we need to have a technician come out and have a look at our line.
What's the best way to pursue this issue?

thank you for your prompt response.
Can you PM me your telephone number or the service number and I will check on the line stats?

John Baird

Re: Constant dropouts over the last couple of weeks

Post by John Baird » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:21 am

I have had the same problem for several weeks, since NBN came to the area (post code 2099).
I've had two visits from techs, Optus? and Telstra. Both claimed a faulty connection in the street pit(s). Solved the problem for a few days then noisy, dropped packets and complete loss of service.
Laterly I've found that if I lift the phone handset and the replace it the service comes good.
So my latest theory is that lifting the handset causes a voltage change on the line and this "clears" the fault. I suspect this fault is in the exchange, in this case Balgowlah. The fault most often occurs/begins on Saturday or Sunday.
Some might say "well you can switch to the NBN". I have 12 months + before the ADSL is switched off and that would come at a cost of about $400 for additional monthly service fees. I assume it cost >$400 for the tech's visits so far.
I did a survey of adjacent residents and all reported degraded service since about November 2019.