Page 2 of 2

Re: 8192/384 Correct Modulation Types

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 am
by exeusersh
I am on ADLS1 1.5 Mbps, which is working fine and downloads at full speed.

I would like to upgrade to 8192/384.

My modem is a old Netgear DG 814. There is no setting for modulation type. Do one of you techies think that this modem is capable of the 8192 speed?

I also have an idle NetComm NB5Plus4 that I used to use for ADSL2 before I moved away from the supported ADSL2 area. Could I use this modem to connect at 8192 on ADLS1?

Final question: my neighbour is also on ADSL1 and can only download at 500 Mbps. They want to get a new modem/router but must stay on ADSL1 for now. Will an ADSL2 modem connect to ADSL1? If it depends on make/model, which ones will connect to both ADSL1 and 2?

tiA,
rick

Re: 8192/384 Correct Modulation Types

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:08 pm
by CoreyPlover
exeusersh wrote:My modem is a old Netgear DG 814. There is no setting for modulation type. Do one of you techies think that this modem is capable of the 8192 speed?

I also have an idle NetComm NB5Plus4 that I used to use for ADSL2 before I moved away from the supported ADSL2 area. Could I use this modem to connect at 8192 on ADLS1?
ADSL1 modems are all capable of 8Mbps speeds
exeusersh wrote:Final question: my neighbour is also on ADSL1 and can only download at 500 Mbps. They want to get a new modem/router but must stay on ADSL1 for now. Will an ADSL2 modem connect to ADSL1? If it depends on make/model, which ones will connect to both ADSL1 and 2?
ADSl2 modems are backwards compatible with ADSL1 services, so are also capable of full ADSL1 sync.

On this note however, I suggest that you (and your neighbour) locate and post your sync stats (i.e. look for a Router Statistics section, specifically the line attenuation and noise margin figures). These figures will allow us to comment on whether you and your neighbour can expect any improvement from 1.5Mbps -> 8Mbps ADSL1, or ADSL1 -> ADSL2+ because all ADSL services are distance related and these stats will indicate what sort of maximum speed you might expect for your distance.

Also, the 500Mbps you quite is a typo. Do you mean 500Kbps (i.e. sync speed) ? Or 500KB/s (i.e. browser download speed)?

Re: 8192/384 Correct Modulation Types

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:34 pm
by exeusersh
CoreyPlover wrote:ADSL1 modems are all capable of 8Mbps speeds
Thanks. I'll look into upgrading and trying for more bandwidth.
CoreyPlover wrote:
exeusersh wrote:Final question: my neighbour is also on ADSL1 and can only download at 500 Mbps.
Also, the 500Mbps you quite is a typo. Do you mean 500Kbps (i.e. sync speed) ? Or 500KB/s (i.e. browser download speed)?
I meant 50 KB/s (500 Mbps) download. We found the problem.

Re: 8192/384 Correct Modulation Types

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:03 pm
by CoreyPlover
exeusersh wrote:Thanks. I'll look into upgrading and trying for more bandwidth.
Post your modem's sync stats first like I mentioned above just so that we can confirm whether an upgrade is likely to be worthwhile