Adequate ADSL2 Line Filters - A Warning Story

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
ForumAdmin

Adequate ADSL2 Line Filters - A Warning Story

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 am

Ticket #657nnn: 02968nnnnn Service

_*24 March 2008

*_
FIRST OF ALL - I AM SORRY about my previous statement that OPTUS SERVICE IS CRAP.

I EAT MY OWN WORDS. SORRY AGAIN. WHEN I AM WRONG I AM WRONG.

I hope that this clarifies my point.

As your pricing is good and service great other than the background noise that I had for the last 12 months. I signed up with you again and would put up with the noise.

About a week ago I used some of my logic to eliminate two factors that could contribute to the noise.

1. ADSL2+ is a higher frequency - wider band to that of ADS1 I used before.
2. ADSL1 filters could be the problem. However I purchased about 5 different brands last year that claim to be ADSL2+ complaint and none worked. I fitted them to each of the four (4) phones, none made a difference. I even tried two in line.

This is where I made the wrong assumption that it must be the service not the filter.

In a way I was half right - ADSL2+ creates a different background noise to ADSL1.

NOW AS A LAST RESORT AND THE FACT THAT I DO NOT LIKE TO GIVE UP, LAST WEEK I WENT TO "DICKSMITH" AND PURCHASED AN ADSL2+ CENTRAL FILTER/SPLITTER Cat F2931 for $34.98,

INSTALLED IT AS PER INSTRUCTION (on the fist socket into house then disconnected rest of the loop, connected it to PHONE LINE out of filter/splitter) _*AND PROBLEM GONE.*_

NO BACKGROUND NOISE AT ALL AND MY ADSL2+ SPEED WENT UP FROM 2850Kbps TO 3850Kbps AT THE SAME TIME AND REMAINS CONSTANT WHERE BEFORE I HAD DAYS WHERE 750Kbps WAS THE BEST I COULD GET.

ALL THAT I CAN SAY IS THIS SPLITTER WORKED FOR ME WHERE OTHERS DID NOT.

* C10 MODEL C10245M "TELSTRA APPROVED" ? (4 off)
* TE N53 DSL-008E1 (4 off)
* NETCOMM N367 EM1550 (4 off)
* D-LINK DSL-10CF SPLITTER - old type
* NETCOMM EM1100 - old type
* SUTTLE 900LC&630LC (4 off)
* THE ONE THAT COMES WITH A "BILLION" BiPAC700 ADSL2+ ROUTER $75 wasted (1 off)

I must say that I tried 1 filter and one phone at a time on each of the above filters but the noise was still there.

ALL OF THE ABOVE I CAN'T USE (AS YOU CAN SEE I DID TRY BUT GAVE UP AFTER THIS MANY GOES)

I AM NOW USING NB6plus4W ADSL2+ modem - great no disconnection at all.

The NB5plus4 that was supplied by you kept disconnecting but Netcomm gave me a free upgrade to NB6plus4W - what a great service.

I must say that I am not an electronics or IT technician.

My background is mechanical.

If I had electronic technical skills I may have solved it 12 months ago.

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 pm

You could probably save a bit by first trying two ADSL1 or two ADSL2+ "certified" filters in series first before forking out big time for an ADSL2+ certified (no quotes) filter.

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:20 am

What's the difference: "certified" and certified.

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:25 pm

"certified" - writing on the package
certified - words + deeds

peterbell

Re: Adequate ADSL2 Line Filters - A Warning Story

Post by peterbell » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Two comments.
1. An ADSL1 filter works to some extent. We had one here for a while after upgrading to ADSL2+, but I noticed that the ADSL2 dropped out when the phone rang, so I installed an ADSL2+ filter which fixed the problem.

2. The recommendation for ADSL filters is to use a maximum of 2 standard filters on any one telephone line, the load of each filter is cumulative so too many will affect the ADSL performance. The central filter is the solution if you have more than two telephones (or similar devices) on a line.

P.

elfdrover

Post by elfdrover » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 am

GREAT NEWS, MANY THANKS, HAVE BEEN GETTING DISCONNECTED WHEN PHONE RINGS , DRIVING ME CRAZY , RESEARCH HAD ESTABLISHED IT WAS PROBABLY LINE FILTER BUT HAD SPARES , TRIED THEM ALL, NO DIFFERENCE , LOOKING FORWARD TO FIXING THIS , WILL POST RESULTS

AKZam

Post by AKZam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm

hmmm interesting, it’s a little off topic, but I was wondering if I should be using a filter on my connection, I'm on naked ADSL2, so no phone and noise to worry about - the reason I ask is that when I put one on the line, the net drops out periodically, and I have to restart the modem. Take it off, no worries at all.

But seeing as I have been using old ones from days gone by that I had collected from previous modem purchasers, I can safely assume that they 'may' have been adls1 filters. Should I grab an adsl2 filter? I’m getting alright speeds as it is now – my connection drops out occasionally using a Billion 7300G modem/router (but a modem reset always fixes that) - will a new filter increase my speeds?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Filters are designed to pass the low frequency telephone signal only, and attenuate the high frequency ADSL signal. That works in reverse as well with phone noise. A filter is the last thing someone with no telephone signal should do. They are only required in front of phones.

AKZam

Post by AKZam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Dazzled wrote:Filters are designed to pass the low frequency telephone signal only, and attenuate the high frequency ADSL signal. That works in reverse as well with phone noise. A filter is the last thing someone with no telephone signal should do. They are only required in front of phones.
That is what I have always believed, my confusion comes from multiple conversations with techies (if that's what you can call them) who tell me to put a filter on my modem, its a bit of a standard response, akin to 'have you tried turning it off and on again?'. In my head I have always gone, no, because that's a stupid thing to do, but good to know for sure I was right.

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 pm

In case anyone doesn't know...ADSL filters are not needed for Naked DSL.

stephenbgood

Post by stephenbgood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Just as a double check ...
I'm using Exetel VOIP on a Naked DSL line, so not using any filter.
Please confirm that no filter is needed between the modem phone port and the phone.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 pm

No filter is required on a VoIP phone connected to an ATA on naked ADSL2. Your phone has only an internet connection, which must not be filtered. The unfiltered analogue signal from a phone conversation is digitised by the ATA for transmission. The analogue signal never reaches the internet line to cause interference.

stephenbgood

Post by stephenbgood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks Dazzled for the quick and clear reply.

Franpa

Re:

Post by Franpa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:45 am

cryptwizard wrote:"certified" filters in 
Why does this text appear different from the rest? quoting it yields no code tags or anything wrapping it D:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem