Optimize connection for the Playstation Network

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
otori

Optimize connection for the Playstation Network

Post by otori » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 am

Hello,

I was wondering if Exetel can please optimize the connection to the Playstation Network (PSN), as it seems Exetel users are having constant dropouts from it and cannot hold a stable connection for longer than 15mins.

the Ports for the PSN are:

TCP: 80,443,5223
UDP: 3478-3479,3658

I have tried port forwarding and port triggering, DMZ, UPnP, but it still does not hold a stable connection,. I am hoping you guys can do something from your end.

Here is a link to show some users having PSN troubles with Exetel:
http://forums.au.playstation.com/forums ... pic=162724

My friends on iiNet and TPG and Telstra do not have this problems and if i cant fix this problem i have no option but to try another ISP.

I have tried new routers, new PS3, all the troubleshooting tips from Playstation themselves and everything points to the ADSL2+ connection.

I am using a Dynalink 1025W router. ADSL2+ plugs straight into the tele connection as i do not have a telephone connected. I have tried using Filters but it doesnt fix anything. I have tried resetting router to factory settings and all that. so now i am out of options. the only options i havent tried is connecting to a new ISP or moving house.

thanks

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Re: Optimize connection for the Playstation Network

Post by DylanF » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:41 pm

I have asked someone to look in to this for you.

otori

Post by otori » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:08 pm

thank you

between midday and 4pm the connection is at it's best, further into the night then it's nigh impossible to hold a connection.

if you didnt know, the PSN is required to put the PS3 online for Online gaming. so if you think about it like having 2 simultaneous downloads happened the whole time. as the PS3 needs to first connect to the PSN, and then it needs to connect to the gaming server for whatever game you are playing. and the ADSL connection seems to struggle to keep the 2 connections going. maybe need to widen the bandwidth... or something along those lines.

Because i do notice when i am downloading 2 files at the same time on my PC, it's very hard to keep browsing, IE6 or Firefox just pretty much pause up until at least one of the downloads is finished.

cheers

cliffo

Post by cliffo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I've been having issues of late too.

Keep losing connection to the PSN whilst friends on other ISPs are not having any problem...quite annoying really

jtickner1

Post by jtickner1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:30 am

Having trouble here too. I really do hope this gets fixed. :x

otori

Post by otori » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:12 am

i was just reading around on other forums, and it seems the problem may lie with the p2p shaping. the majority of PS3 multiplayer games are p2p. so maybe this needs to be looked at?

jtickner1

Post by jtickner1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:35 am

I don't see how this can prevent the PS3 from holding a stable connection being idle in the XMB (PS3 Menu). As I doubt it uses P2P to sign-in. Maybe it does. I'm not really sure.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 am

It's difficult to see how this can be an Exetel network issue but I've asked a senior engineer to look into it.

jtickner1

Post by jtickner1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:05 pm

Well I'm pretty sure it is. I took my PS3 to my mates house who is with BigPond and I had no trouble at all, bring it home, and there we go, dodgy connection and it was all fine when I was with Westnet.

I will add though, when I did first swap over to Exetel it was fine, for about a week I had no trouble then all of a sudden it started happening.

otori

Post by otori » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:40 pm

yep, my brother has TPG and rarely has a connection problem. my close friend has Exetel in a fairly new apartment in Sydney city and also has timing out issues as i have found out today.

if it's not Exetel, it's the Optus line. i would like to try going back to a Telstra line but Exetel do not run adsl2 on Telstra lines anymore.

my Internet on my PC is fine and is usually 100%, it's just the connection doesnt seem strong enough to sustain a PSN connection.

is p2p restricted on Exetel?

WilliamC

Post by WilliamC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Hello,

Please be advised i have had a look into your account and made some teaking changes to optimize your PS3 connectivity. If possible could you retry the connection and advise of any issues.

Regards

William C

otori

Post by otori » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:46 pm

problem has been fixed! thanks heaps mate

Kittykat77

Post by Kittykat77 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm

We also have this issue with the PS3. This has only happened in the last few days. We cannot get into our Playstation network account at all. Before a few days ago there never has been a problem. Who else has only had this problem in the last few days??

WilliamC

Post by WilliamC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Kittykat77 wrote:We also have this issue with the PS3. This has only happened in the last few days. We cannot get into our Playstation network account at all. Before a few days ago there never has been a problem. Who else has only had this problem in the last few days??
Hello Kittykat77,

Can you be more specific as to why you cannot get into the playstation account at all ? What type of error are you receiving, also at the same time are you having any issues with your adsl connection ?

Regards

William C

Kittykat77

Post by Kittykat77 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:22 pm

William C - The ADSL2+ Connection is fine. However the PS3 Playstation network keeps getting a Timeout error.