ADSL/2- Bendigo- New connection-will it work ?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
spmika

ADSL/2- Bendigo- New connection-will it work ?

Post by spmika » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Hello. I have been liaising with Cuong N and James Dover regarding switching to Exetel from AAPT and I am convinced I should do it.
So as not to annoy them more than I have can I please pose the following scenario/question.
I have looked through the forum but can't find anything that suits these questions, however if I have doubled up please forgive me.

Currently I am an AAPT customer with fixed line/local/long distance/ADSL on the Bendigo Exchange (Optus/Telstra DSLAM I believe)
AAPT "tell" me I am using AAPT equipment at the exchange
To switch to Exetel I need to shift my fixed line back to Telstra.
I have emailed Telstra to ask them if I can do this whilst I remain with AAPT as an ADSL provider for the time being.

I looked at the Exetel application process, entered my number and this is what it told me...

ADSL2 Number: 0354****67
Exchange Code: STVL
Exchange Availability: YES
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Transfer Current Telephone Service Available
ADSL2 Service Availability: Not available now
Theoretically Estimated Low Speed: 8578
Theoretically Estimated High Speed: 8743

So do I take it from that that ADSL/2 is not available ???
A check of the ADSLexchange web site shows free ports on the exchange ??

Can I start the application without first committing to changing from AAPT and cancelling my current ISP ?

I now realise I can't port my fixed number to a naked DID (with exetel) so I will have to go with PSTN/ADSL2, but I can live with that.

Anyway I hope someone can iron out my application wrinkles.

Thanks all

Steven

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL/2- Bendigo- New connection-will it work ?

Post by DylanF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 am

spmika wrote:Hello. I have been liaising with Cuong N and James Dover regarding switching to Exetel from AAPT and I am convinced I should do it.
So as not to annoy them more than I have can I please pose the following scenario/question.
I have looked through the forum but can't find anything that suits these questions, however if I have doubled up please forgive me.

Currently I am an AAPT customer with fixed line/local/long distance/ADSL on the Bendigo Exchange (Optus/Telstra DSLAM I believe)
AAPT "tell" me I am using AAPT equipment at the exchange
To switch to Exetel I need to shift my fixed line back to Telstra.
I have emailed Telstra to ask them if I can do this whilst I remain with AAPT as an ADSL provider for the time being.

I looked at the Exetel application process, entered my number and this is what it told me...

ADSL2 Number: 0354****67
Exchange Code: STVL
Exchange Availability: YES
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Transfer Current Telephone Service Available
ADSL2 Service Availability: Not available now
Theoretically Estimated Low Speed: 8578
Theoretically Estimated High Speed: 8743

So do I take it from that that ADSL/2 is not available ???
A check of the ADSLexchange web site shows free ports on the exchange ??

Can I start the application without first committing to changing from AAPT and cancelling my current ISP ?

I now realise I can't port my fixed number to a naked DID (with exetel) so I will have to go with PSTN/ADSL2, but I can live with that.

Anyway I hope someone can iron out my application wrinkles.

Thanks all

Steven
Hi Steven,

Based on that SQ it looks as though your line is on Telstra equipment / infrastructure which will mean the application can most likely proceed.

There is a chance that service / services you have will classify as complex services, however based on the above results I believe this is not a huge risk.

If you like, private message me your phone number and I will take a more detailed look.

spmika

Re: ADSL/2- Bendigo- New connection-will it work ?

Post by spmika » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Dylan,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately wherever I went people kept telling me I was on some sort of sub exchange (I think it was a Telstra plot!).
In the end I was forced to sign up with Telstra to ensure I would get ADSL/2. The service is now up and running and considering I am 4.5 KM from the exchange running at a reasonable speed.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Might see you in 1 year and 10 1/2 months when my contract expires.(if my finances hold out that long)

regards

Steven