Single thread download performance limited

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
AzNiME

Single thread download performance limited

Post by AzNiME » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi,

There's already a post about this on whirlpool related to Internode Naked ADSL2+ but I just wanted to point out that Exetel users are also having similar issues.

Downloading from FTP or HTTP using single thread connection is very limited. The max that I can get is 120KB/s on a single thread download and I'm syncing at 19000kbs.

I max out my connection using multiple threads though, usually close to 2MB/s.

Just wondering why that's the case.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Single thread download performance limited

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:16 pm

What server is the download coming from? I can try testing on my connection to compare to yours, but I regularly get 500KB/s and upwards from microsoft.com (and I just tried then and got 1.2MB/s with a single microsoft.com stream)

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:11 pm

I was also wondering why individual connections are so slow, and multiple connections are needed to achieve more speed?

It seems like Exetel is using some sort of multiplexing which is doing this deliberately. Right now I can only get 20kB/sec per connection to youtube.com , but if I download multiple videos I get 20kB/sec on each , reaching a cumulative higher speed.

This not just a once off occurance, it has been happening since I have joined Exetel in February and with many different sites it seems Exetel is doing this deliberately? Please correct me if I'm wrong though, I will happily be corrected.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:46 pm

SonicBlue, I just tried another experiment. Using a script that calls up wget, I get a single connection to youtube running at ~160kB/S, and with multiple wget connections to the same file I get ~150kB/s each until I saturate my line with 4 of them. The line cap limits more connections.

WilliamC

Post by WilliamC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am

Dear Dazzled/Sonicblue,

Exetel do not limit individual youtube/http connections. I can see you both may be experiencing issues with speed that may need to be investigated in further detail,
can i kindly ask both of you to email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au and refer to this thread for more information.

Regards

William C

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:06 am

William, Thanks, but I have no complaint. As per above, I can add extra simultaneous youtube connections without a serious change in download rate per connection. I posted the experiment for sonicBlue.

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:58 pm

WilliamC wrote:Dear Dazzled/Sonicblue,

Exetel do not limit individual youtube/http connections. I can see you both may be experiencing issues with speed that may need to be investigated in further detail,
can i kindly ask both of you to email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au and refer to this thread for more information.

Regards

William C
Hello William

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have already gone down the path of lodging a fault ticket which has reached the stage where a technician is to be sent out and if they don't find a fault at my end then it will cost me $200. I am fairly confident there isn't a fault at my end as my sync speed is always many times higher than my actual transfer speeds. In light of this I have opted not to risk the $200 as it would be a sure loss in my opinion.

I was wondering if you could perform any other checks at your end to ensure that my traffic is not being unnecessarily throttled in any way? The performance is quite slow at the moment (4:26pm Adelaide time): on youtube I am unable to stream videos.

Thank you

Simon

xs4all

Post by xs4all » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:15 pm

I had the same problems with single thread download speed, where it limits to around 120kb/s and sometimes less, but if I do multiple downloads, I can reach my max download speeds.

This only occurs during off peak times, and because of work commitments, after 12am is the only time I am able to user the net, my other family members have no issues because all there internet activities are during peak times.

I'm about 3.7km from my exchange and my modem downstream sync's anywhere between 4000 and 5000 and upload sync's around the 700 mark. So average download speeds is around 400kb/s and upload speed is around 70kb/s.

This has been an ongoing issue for me for a very long time (noticed changes since Sep/Oct 2007) and also for other members as well, and I have eventually learned to deal with it. I'm not bagging Exetel in anyway, just my experience, however when everything is working fine, it's great and faultless, but for me the bad points outweighs the good points unfortunately.

I just churned to iPrimus a couple of days ago and I couldn't be more happier, I get roughly the same speeds as Exetel but it works, regardless of what time of the day it is. YouTube videos streams at just over 300kb/s and my single thread download speed can pretty much max out my connection.

Well I have enjoyed my time at Exetel, but I guess I was the unlucky few that continue to have issues, now that I'm using iPrimus, I don't have any of these problems anymore.