ADSL2+ Phone bundled questions

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
evandevon

ADSL2+ Phone bundled questions

Post by evandevon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:07 am

Hi! I have some questions about the adsl2+ deals (I hope this is the right place to post them)
1. It seems that if you get a "naked" adsl2+ connection on a phone line your old phone connection with e.g. telstra won't work so you have to use the bundled adsl2+ and phone plan to be able to use a phone on the same line. Is this correct?

2. Does my 6month contract with my current adsl service renew and I have to stay for another 6months?

Sorry if these have been posted before - searched but either couldn't find anything or i didn't understand it

Thanks, Evs

Cocka

Re: ADSL2+ Phone bundled questions

Post by Cocka » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:23 am

[quote="evandevon"]Hi! I have some questions about the adsl2+ deals (I hope this is the right place to post them)
1. It seems that if you get a "naked" adsl2+ connection on a phone line your old phone connection with e.g. telstra won't work so you have to use the bundled adsl2+ and phone plan to be able to use a phone on the same line. Is this correct ?]

No, not correct, that's the whole point of going "naked" i.e. to have no phone line/service (saves around $10 pm in line rental), if you want a "normal" phone service as well you use the "bundle" plans, if not you have the option of using VOIP with the "naked" setup ??
I once thought I made a mistake but I was wrong ?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 pm

evandevon wrote:1. It seems that if you get a "naked" adsl2+ connection on a phone line your old phone connection with e.g. telstra won't work so you have to use the bundled adsl2+ and phone plan to be able to use a phone on the same line. Is this correct?
As Cocka states, Naked (i.e. NonPhone) ADSL2+ means that an ADSL2+ connection is provisioned on your phone line and then the line rental / dial tone component of the phone is completely removed leaving you with only ADSL2+ and no phone. This means you need to use your own mobile, or VoIP to make calls. It is offered so that people can save upwards of $15 per month in line rental costs.

Bundled (i.e. IncPhone) ADSL2+ involves Exetel migrating your phone service to Optus and bundling it with an ADSL2+ service so that the result is phone and ADSL2+ combined and billed via Exetel. With this service, you can continue to make standard calls via your current phone,
evandevon wrote:2. Does my 6month contract with my current adsl service renew and I have to stay for another 6months?
Moving to either Naked ADSL2+ or IncPhone ADSL2+ will incur a new 12 month contract. This is because you / Exetel are starting a service through a new provider (ADSL1 is Telstra provided, Naked and bundled ADSL2+ are Optus provided. Also, if you move to ADSL2+ before your current 6 month contract has expired, you will incur an termination fee

evandevon

Post by evandevon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Ah! Thanks cocka and corey. I got it now. One more question though.
With Telstra I get an online account with which I can make see all calls made and assign names to them. I can assign as many numbers as i like to a single name so that instead of seeing a list of dialed phone numbers i see a list of names. I need this because I am in charge of the phone bill in my share house and so I just collect phone numbers from my housemates and add them under their name, this way I can just scroll through the list looking for their name rather than their 20 different phone numbers. Is there a similar online feature if I get the bundled adsl2+ ?

Evs

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:07 pm

evandevon wrote:Is there a similar online feature if I get the bundled adsl2+ ?
Not that I know of. You could accomplish the same thing however by downloading the list of calls made and pasting / importing into a spreadsheet. Then just use a couple of formulas to allocate names to people and tally up the totals.