Peak vs off peak

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
adsl2

Peak vs off peak

Post by adsl2 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi,

Could someone tell me if speeds are the same during both peak and off peak periods. I realise that exetel tries to maintains high speeds for both periods, however in practice i have realised that peeak speeds are faster than off peak periods. Since we all have our own dedicated line, i don't see why there should be a difference in speed.

Can anybody clarify this?

Thankyou.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Peak vs off peak

Post by jokiin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:30 pm

adsl2 wrote:Hi,

Could someone tell me if speeds are the same during both peak and off peak periods. I realise that exetel tries to maintains high speeds for both periods, however in practice i have realised that peeak speeds are faster than off peak periods. Since we all have our own dedicated line, i don't see why there should be a difference in speed.

Can anybody clarify this?

Thankyou.
The problems are not so much physical but rather practical, many users schedule their downloads during the off peak period to take advantage of the overly generous allowances, this can impact network performance to some extent

oztechnogirl

Post by oztechnogirl » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:57 pm

Exetel must, in my opinion, be in some way responsible for differences in peak / off-peak speeds. I can't count the number of times that I have seen a download speed change from slow to fast at midday (or within minutes of) and reversed at midnight. ie: 20kBs to 400kBs. I've now seen this happen so many times that I can't help but be very very suspicious that somewhere in Exetel land a switch has been flipped!!!!
PS: Traffic reports I have looked at show no significant change in network traffic....

SR1

Post by SR1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:51 pm

I have the same experience as Oztechnogirl. It is very very frustrating. I couldn't even view webpages until noon today.

gstark

Post by gstark » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:19 pm

SR1 wrote:I have the same experience as Oztechnogirl. It is very very frustrating. I couldn't even view webpages until noon today.
Let me add a third voice to this issue.

Speeds show a marked increase once we hit midday.

tekkyy

Post by tekkyy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:56 pm

I've given up on off peak downloading
try this
download between 2pm and 6pm
you'll save a lot of electricity and brain cells

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:22 pm

Can anyone who has posted about this issue provide a couple of speed tests showing the difference in speed between peak and off peak?

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:02 pm

This is definitely an issue which is not network wide. I am not suggesting that the users mentioning off peak speed issues don't have a problem. I am just contrasting that I happened to download 5GB during the previous off-peak. Before midday I was also running VOIP, general browsing and streaming no problems, while the download taps were open.

Again, not trying to say there are no issues, I can certainly appreciate the frustration of trying to trouble shoot such an inconsistent problem.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

spookgww

Post by spookgww » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 am

It seems to me there must be some bandwidth shaping happening by Exetel. I get torrent downloads at 20kb during offpeak and 600 the minute peak time begins, yet at the same time, I can download from microsoft during the same offpeak period at 600k. ???? What's going on Exetel?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 am

spookgww wrote:It seems to me there must be some bandwidth shaping happening by Exetel. I get torrent downloads at 20kb during offpeak and 600 the minute peak time begins, yet at the same time, I can download from microsoft during the same offpeak period at 600k. ???? What's going on Exetel?
Exetel makes no attempt to hide the fact that P2P traffic is managed. The excerpt below is from the terms and conditions and is regularly pointed out in various forum threads:
17.3 The Customer acknowledges and agrees that exclusive use of internet peer-to-peer file exchanges may cause network congestion and performance deterioration. Therefore Exetel has a right to from time to time and at any time limit the Customer's internet bandwidth available for peer-to-peer file exchanges if Exetel (at its sole discretion) decides that not to do so will be detrimental to the overall efficiency of the Exetel network or a supplier's network used to provide the Service.
As has been pointed out above, demand for bandwidth is MUCH greater, in aggregate, during off-peak times when people queue up P2P downloads to occur overnight. Since supply is limited this naturally results in the need for traffic management and P2P, being non-time dependent, is therefore de-prioritised to allow HTTP, gaming and VOIP traffic precedence

spookgww

Post by spookgww » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:35 am

That's understandable Corey, but the shaping is severe. Surely it could be relaxed a little.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:16 am

spookgww wrote:Surely it could be relaxed a little.
If it was a matter of "surely" then it would most likely be done. Exetel are very accommodating in this respect. It is more likely to be driven by the sheer volume of P2P downloading that occurs at that time because, as you are aware, if the bandwidth were provided P2P would completely overwhelm and exhaust it all, leaving time-critical applications like gaming and VoIP with infeasibly high latency.

spookgww

Post by spookgww » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:40 am

Fair comment Corey. That really has been my only gripe with Exetel, I will gripe no more!