My experience of "From ADSL1 to ADSL2+"

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
brianlhm

My experience of "From ADSL1 to ADSL2+"

Post by brianlhm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:34 pm

3 hours ago, I am still with my ADSL1. Now, I am on ADSL2+ (9th September, 2008)(Both my ADSL1 and 2+ service are with Exetel). And I would like to share a little bit to those who are thinking of changing from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.

First, you should understand, ADSL is not pure mathematics like 1 + 1 = 2, so the stability of ADSL2+ is not necessarily equal to 2 x ADSL1. This is because ADSL2+ use double the frequency range of ADSL1, which resulted in more sensitive to the surrounding environment (cross-talk to the other phone wire, distance between your home and the telephone exchange (major problem), the condition of the copper wire, the quality of the phone line filter at your home, etc...).

Before applying for the ADSL2+ service:
  1. 1) Check you have a right modem and filter.
    2) Go to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au to check do the exchange that you are connecting to is ADSL2 enabled
    3) Check the quality of your phone line
Before checking the phone line, I have to say there is NO way to get the exact value of your phone line quality until your ADSL2+ service have been started, all the following steps are just helping you to estimate how well or how bad you line is.

Like me, I have a very good estimation from my ADSL1 service and the adsl2exchanges web page:
  • Result from adsl2exchange:
    Line of Sight: 309 m
    Estimated Cable: 510 m
    Estimated Attenuation: 8
    Estimated Maximum Speed: 24000

Result from my Netcomm NB1 modem:
Theoretically, form the result above I should be able to achieve 20Mbit+, but these are the results:

Maxium download speed is about 12 - 14.5MB/Sec
So, you can see, my ADSL2+ line attenuation increased only a little bit but the margin dropped a lot.

And finally, here is my time-line of my application:
  • 27 Aug - Filled in the from
    28 Aug - Receive a Email to confirm I can have the ADSL2+ service
    28 Aug night - able to check my status from Exetel web site (Status: Pending, Cutover date: 10 Sep)
    30 Aug - Cutover date changed to 9 Sep (I think it is all depends on Optus technician work load)
    9 Sep 13:55PM - Lost ADSL and PPP lights from my modem
    9 Sep 14:05PM - Back online with ADSL2+ (That is really quick, may be the technician is having a very good day)

James
Exetel Staff

Re: My experience of "From ADSL1 to ADSL2+"

Post by James » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Are you happy with the service?

brianlhm

Re: My experience of "From ADSL1 to ADSL2+"

Post by brianlhm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 am

James wrote:Are you happy with the service?
Although I understand changing from 512k to 12M will not change much for the loading time of those web pages, subconsciously I still expect web page will pop up before I release the "Enter Key".

Generally, everything is good and very stable until now. But have to wait for a week or more to see the overall performance.