WHATS THE FUN OF OFF PEAK , CANT DOWNLOAD???

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
niksrulz

WHATS THE FUN OF OFF PEAK , CANT DOWNLOAD???

Post by niksrulz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 am

Hi!
I've been loyal customer for exetel , Getting 2 connections as well as recommending others about it.
But can someone tell me what's the use of massive 48gb off peak data when you don't even get 40% of the peak speed ?
Moreover why does exetel blocks torrent speed ?
Is that 48GB only to attract new customers ?
Its very misleading !!!!
I THINK I'VE PAID FOR BOTH PEAK AND OFF PEAK SO WHY SHOULD I GET LESS SPEED AND BLOCKED TORRENTS ,
WHAT ELSE DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE WILL DO WITH MASSIVE 48 GB APART FROM DOWNLOAD ?
I think most of the other users will be having the same problem, Reply if you have the same problem.

PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS MATTER AND REPLY SOON !!!

Nick

oldman

Re: WHATS THE FUN OF OFF PEAK , CANT DOWNLOAD???

Post by oldman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:59 am

I've (or rather, my son has) never had any trouble downloading the full 48 GB off-peak each month. I'm not sure it has reached 40% of the peak speed, but that's not necessary to download 48000 bytes over 360 hours. He actually caps the speed to spread it out. What is so important that you need it so quickly?

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Erg, don't type in capitals! Or bold for that matter. Your emergency isn't mine and it looks like an urgent Exetel announcement.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Please don't SHOUT. As far as I'm concerned throttling of torrent traffic is fair enough provided it is dynamic to ensure time critical traffic like VoIP and streaming Audio or Video.

What's the big deal if someone has to wait an extra hour or two to watch a boot-legged movie! It is more important to make sure a VoIP telephone call gets through.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:09 pm

niksrule, I have to agree with Mike/austdata and vk3xem. Your use of capitals and boldface type and your attitude is strongly encouraging me to be as abrupt in my response to you as you have been to everybody reading this thread.

So, all I will do is point you to clause 17.3 of the terms and conditions that you explicitly agreed to when joining Exetel:
17.3 The Customer acknowledges and agrees that exclusive use of internet peer-to-peer file exchanges may cause network congestion and performance deterioration. Therefore Exetel has a right to from time to time and at any time limit the Customer's internet bandwidth available for peer-to-peer file exchanges if Exetel (at its sole discretion) decides that not to do so will be detrimental to the overall efficiency of the Exetel network or a supplier's network used to provide the Service.
If you care for elaboration as to why clauses like this are in place, or further elaboration on your off-peak speeds, then I suggest you reply with a little more civility.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:41 pm

vk3xem wrote:Please don't SHOUT. As far as I'm concerned throttling of torrent traffic is fair enough provided it is dynamic to ensure time critical traffic like VoIP and streaming Audio or Video.

What's the big deal if someone has to wait an extra hour or two to watch a boot-legged movie! It is more important to make sure a VoIP telephone call gets through.
agree, I don't use P2P at all but the pattern I have noticed amongst people I know that do use it is that they want it to download as fast as possible as they have some fear that they won't have access to the file long enough to get the download done, don't know if this fear is justified or not but they all seem to think the same way

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:46 pm

vk3xem wrote:Please don't SHOUT.
Here, here.
vk3xem wrote:What's the big deal if someone has to wait an extra hour or two to watch a boot-legged movie! It is more important to make sure a VoIP telephone call gets through.
What about Joost TV? It 100% legal & 100% free & it uses P2P technology but no caching. :(

Mind you, with the generous new Exetel quotas, I can probably watch Joost during peak hours! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Mike
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:51 pm

jok11n wrote:... they want it to download as fast as possible as (if) they have some fear that they won't have access to the file long enough to get the download done, don't know if this fear is justified or not ....
I don't know if any other P2P technology is the same as Joost, but it downloads only that part of the film that you are watching. If there is any buffer it's bloody small. Once I've watched though, there's a bunch of Joost files on my machine to pass on to other Joost users. The upload is pretty small too.

But when we're talking about files we can work on in the morning, screw it - we can wait.

Cheers,

Mike

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:58 pm

not sure about Joost, the ones I was referring to are downloading illegally, somehow they feel ripped off if they can't steal these files as quickly as possible :shock:

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:18 pm

jok11n wrote:not sure about Joost, the ones I was referring to are downloading illegally, somehow they feel ripped off if they can't steal these files as quickly as possible :shock:
I know what you mean. I thought FA went into it very well in another thread on "stealing". FA has my full support on that point, as do you on yours. Perhaps these whingers while be caught up with by that new system where the copyright owners are actively hunting them down on the web.

Cheers,

Mike

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:29 pm

austdata wrote:
jok11n wrote:not sure about Joost, the ones I was referring to are downloading illegally, somehow they feel ripped off if they can't steal these files as quickly as possible :shock:
I know what you mean. I thought FA went into it very well in another thread on "stealing". FA has my full support on that point, as do you on yours. Perhaps these whingers while be caught up with by that new system where the copyright owners are actively hunting them down on the web.

Cheers,

Mike
I have zero sympathy for anyone that complains about P2P not being fast enough, when other protocols are affected sure but if anyone wants these types of files lowest priority is fine by me

skeep

Post by skeep » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:53 pm

jok11n wrote:I have zero sympathy for anyone that complains about P2P not being fast enough, when other protocols are affected sure but if anyone wants these types of files lowest priority is fine by me
You and I share the same feelings concerning P2P. I wish it would just shrivel up and die. I can't game anymore with this ISP because of it. Sadly I've decided to churn away from Exetel shortly. Sure I'll bump into the same P2P idiots at the next ISP, but it has significantly more bandwidth/per user ratio.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:57 pm

skeep wrote:
jok11n wrote:I have zero sympathy for anyone that complains about P2P not being fast enough, when other protocols are affected sure but if anyone wants these types of files lowest priority is fine by me
You and I share the same feelings concerning P2P. I wish it would just shrivel up and die. I can't game anymore with this ISP because of it. Sadly I've decided to churn away from Exetel shortly. Sure I'll bump into the same P2P idiots at the next ISP, but it has significantly more bandwidth/per user ratio.
I game all the time without issues - what game can't you use?

niksrulz

Post by niksrulz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:21 am

Hi!
Sorry !! if you consider that was rude but my point is what's the point in saying we get 48gb off peak if we can't use it.
Torrents are mostly legal so there's nothing wrong in downloading.
I'm getting mostly 25-30 kbps torrent download speed using utorrent during off peak periods.
My point is that if we are alloted 48gb we should get full speed and its exetel's responsibility to see that everyone gets a fair go !!!
I don't know if others are getting good speeds but I'm not.
Moreover , voip ,surfing sites, streaming tv or movies and moreover download using normal websites like cnet etc, go well all the time but the only thing which gets blocked is p2p.
That's what I'm concerned because there are not many other ways to utilise this massive data.
So Please advise if its a problem with others or my connection.
Thanks
Nick

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 am

niksrulz wrote:My point is that if we are alloted 48gb we should get full speed and its exetel's responsibility to see that everyone gets a fair go !!!

Moreover , voip ,surfing sites, streaming tv or movies and moreover download using normal websites like cnet etc, go well all the time but the only thing which gets blocked is p2p.

So Please advise if its a problem with others or my connection.
Your connection is behaving perfectly normally. See my above post that points out the P2P clause in your Exetel service.

P2P management is crucial to ensure that everybody gets a fair go. If it were not managed in the way it is, P2P traffic would completely saturate the available bandwidth and prevent HTTP, VoIP and gaming traffic from operating properly.