speed enquiry

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
CCCs

speed enquiry

Post by CCCs » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi staff and fellow members,

i had changed my home internet to the bundled ADSL2+ from the old ADSL1 back in July and I have been having intermittent issues with the speed and connection.

When it flies I am very happy, but when it crawls, only a reboot of modem seems to help. On particular bad days, I need to do a real hard reboot (have it off for 15min) before it will come back to normal.

Now there are many factors I can think of which may contribute, not least that there are at the very least there could be 4 computers connected to the modem at a time.

Two of the computers I have total control over how it is used, but the other two is being used by my parents-in-law which means that when they get curious they start clicking :P I have tried to maintain it as much as possible, but there is only so much hours in a day :(

But aside from that, my wireless network works fine, the modem is almost new (bought it back in July) and my phone (wireless and wired combo) had not had any problems with my old ADSL1 connection before.

I have tried isolation tests with not much difference, and I seem to be less than a km away (direct LOS) from the granville exchange.

However my biggest concern is the age of the house and I am fairly certain that it may be an internal wiring issue, or even just the phone socket issue. However I haven't got any noise on the line but when I talk on the home phone or when I call home from outside, there is a hollow echo'y' feel to the other person's voice.

Now I know i have rambled on a bit here, but I just wanted to see what are my options to resolve this.

What would be the logical steps to take from the least costly to the most (I assume rewiring the house would be the last resort).

Anyway here is my current modem settings. When it gets bad it resyncs at ~12000kbps downstream but the upload stays the same, but the noise margin for both up and down goes up with noise margin for upstream nearly hitting 16db and downstream going over 14db.

By the way my modem is Billion 7300G
adsl_modem_setting.jpg
adsl_modem_setting.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 569 times

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: speed enquiry

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Those modem stats look great so I doubt there is any issue with your wiring or phone line. A high Noise Margin means your line is very stable (noise margins are used to buffer against fluctuations in noise levels) and sync speeds between 12 and 14Mbps are well above average.

Needing to reboot the modem to fix issues usually suggests something wrong with the modem, especially if there are many simultaneous connections (4 computers is not an issue but, say, P2P running on one of those 4 computers is an issue because this accumulates hundreds of simultaneous connections). Perhaps you can try a firmware upgrade, perhaps you can borrow a different branded modem and replace it temporarily to see if things improve.

CCCs

Post by CCCs » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:04 pm

The thing is I don't have constant problems with it...
And I don't do p2p except on the odd occasions for a linux distro (actually I'm due to download one for fedora 10 in just over a week :) OT: but could we get an image uploaded to the mirror for download of fedora 10 when it comes out ?)

Like last night, my speed started to deteriorate around 12am. I did the Exetel speed tests which will show the speed fluctuating below 1.5Mb and not rising above 2Mb. The ping test from the user facility all came back over 4000ms 1000ms being the fastest it managed.

My modem has the latest firmware on it. Could it be a case of filtering issue? BUt then the isolation test should have picked up on it :(
I am currently only using the filter that came with the modem, but I am not sure if this is ADSL2+ certified.

Anyway, it is not like my internet is unusable, only on the odd occasions. But there are issues with dropouts happening more frequently. I usually don't notice it b/c I am not using the internet when it happens, but it seems to be happening every few days. Never had this problem on the old ADSL1 plan, and didn't have this problem for the first week of ADSL2+

You may be right, it probably is my modem if my line sync looks good.

But Billion modems have been so good to me :(

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm

This sounds like what I have heard described as a NAT Table overflow. By reducing the number of simultaneous conenctions in your torrent client, may help.

(I am just repeating the words, I don't have any in depth knowledge of the subject)
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

CCCs

Post by CCCs » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:17 pm

The problem is, I don't use p2p and I am relatively certain that I don't have any viruses on my PCs at least my upload usage suggests normal use.

I think as suggested it may simply be down to my billion modem not being good enough or just plain faulty. I was so sure I wouldn't have problems with it especially as my old billion 5100W was powering on so splendidly for so long.

Actually come to think of it, since I rarely seems to push 1MBps throughput through the modem, I might as well go back to the 5100W and see what the speed difference is like on ADSL1 speeds....

RichS

Post by RichS » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:20 pm

I have the same modem as you and once in a while nothing but a restart of the modem will get speeds back to normal from a dialup like crawl.

Having done a little research it appears the cheaper Billions such as these aren't as good as their more expensive big brothers.