ADSL (8Mb) to Naked ADSL 2+ switch

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
aphasia

ADSL (8Mb) to Naked ADSL 2+ switch

Post by aphasia » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:36 pm

howdy

i signed up with exetel a few months ago.
when i was signing up i wanted to get a Naked ADSL 2+ connection however there were no ports available at my exchange.
i was told i by the sales rep that the exchange would be upgraded in a month or two.
so instead of waiting i churned my old ADSL connection from my previous ISP to an 8Mb connection with exetel.

i've now noticed that there are ADSL 2 ports available at my exchange and i want to make the switch.
i am however unclear on several points on how to get this moving.

1.what kind of down time am i looking at when i switch from ADSL1 to ADSL2?
2.the phone line currently isn't in my name. i know this might be a sticking point. i'm worried (having worked for an ISP) that if i ring telstra to change the name, they'll remove the current ADSL1 codes.
3.what happens to the phoneline after the switch?

cheers.
"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded".

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL (8Mb) to Naked ADSL 2+ switch

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:57 pm

aphasia wrote:1.what kind of down time am i looking at when i switch from ADSL1 to ADSL2?
Little to none
aphasia wrote:2.the phone line currently isn't in my name. i know this might be a sticking point. i'm worried (having worked for an ISP) that if i ring telstra to change the name, they'll remove the current ADSL1 codes.
Have a read of http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 82#p226882
aphasia wrote:3.what happens to the phoneline after the switch?
As part of the ADSL2+ activation, you remain on your existing ADSL1 until the time of cutover. On the cut-over date your phone services gets ported to Optus and ADSL2+ codes placed on the line. About 2 days after this activation has been completed the dial tone will be removed, leaving you with just a Naked ADSL2+

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:36 am

i am also thinking of doing this for my brother who still lives with mum

if u are still in the adsl 1 contract will u be charged the cancellation fee for going to adsl2+ or adsl2+naked ?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 am

Yoshi_900 wrote:if u are still in the adsl 1 contract will u be charged the cancellation fee for going to adsl2+ or adsl2+naked ?
Yes.

ADSL1 is provided via Telstra infrastructure, ADSL2+ and Naked ADSL2+ are Optus infrastructure. The cancellation fee applies because of this change in carriers.