EXETEL ABUSE BLOCKAGE!!!!

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
c0yot3

EXETEL ABUSE BLOCKAGE!!!!

Post by c0yot3 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:02 pm

As mentioned and seen, many users are experiencing this same problem. I to experienced this yesterday after 1 of my peak sessions went over its monthly download limit.
I think i can vouch for many others users that is a problem that you exetel people are to blame. My options for shaping is clearly stated in my isp contract as

"There fore, if you have selected the 'shaped' option it is valid for another 2gigs of downloads for the remainder of the calender month. Once you downloaded more then 2gigs you will be charged $6.00 per gig or part gig in either period."

That Exetel Abuse Blockage notice is a breach of the contract as my connection should of remained present and should be promptly fixed. Not only that the notice is very miss-leading but also causes unnecessary worries to the user as they believe they have committed something wrong.

This problem should be dealt with immediately as alot of users, including myself, have businesses to run and constantly need internet access. We cannot afford for such stupid problems like this to occur as it costly and waste of valueable time. Not to mention if to say a person was to go over there limit 1week before the new months rolls over.. What happens then? they must wait 7days before granted access again while also being under the false pretense that they have download and possess illegal materials?

I hope this issue is resolved quickly as im sure there are alot of other unhappy customer due to this problem

toast

Re: EXETEL ABUSE BLOCKAGE!!!!

Post by toast » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 am

I'll speak for the customers who aren't so anal. I think I can vouch for many other users that it is not Exetel's problem. My option for shaping was the same as yours. What line in the contract are you suggesting has been broken? It is a residential "we will do our best" connection.

Because November was the first month where shaped customers could be charged extra after the 2gb download, Exetel thought it prudent to put people on the blocked IP range to stop customers like you saying in capital letters, why was I charged extra? Blah blah blah excuse winge etc etc.

You are running a business that needs constant internet access on a residential ADSL connection. I'm not sure what you expect. If you have a business to run, use a business connection with a SLA. No such thing exists with Exetel's residential ADSL products.

The issue would have been resolved within five minutes of you clicking the "unblock my connection" if only you powercycled your modem.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:01 am

Well I agree with toast, if you are running a business then stop being a tight arse with shaping! If you have such a mission critical requirement for the Internet then a residential plan is NOT for you, so stop your pathetic whining.

If you are running a business and you don't want your employees downloading too much then get off your arse and put in restrictions of your own.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:51 pm

c0yot3 wrote:That Exetel Abuse Blockage notice is a breach of the contract...
Quote the clause of your terms and conditions that is in breach. One thing you need to recognise is that the terms stating the features of the shaping option make no implication (expressly or inferred) that your service will remain active. In fact, there are explicit clauses that state that you should *not* assume an uninterrupted connection on a residential connection because no such guarantee exists.
c0yot3 wrote:This problem should be dealt with immediately as alot of users, including myself, have businesses to run and constantly need internet access.
Then, as has been alluded to above, you should be choosing a plan that suits your needs (or even easier, avoid selecting the shaping option. The customer block pages were announced leading up to the implementation)
c0yot3 wrote:Not to mention if to say a person was to go over there limit 1week before the new months rolls over.. What happens then? they must wait 7days before granted access again while also being under the false pretense that they have download and possess illegal materials?
I think I know what you are trying to explain and why you have received such vehement replies. The issue with some customers is that they are erroneously being redirected to the abuse page instead of the usage page. So the replies you have received above may be under the impression you are complaining about being blocked, when in actual fact you are complaining about being blocked in the wrong manner. This is indeed an issue that is being looked into by Exetel

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 am

vk3xem wrote:Well I agree with toast, if you are running a business then stop being a tight arse with shaping! If you have such a mission critical requirement for the Internet then a residential plan is NOT for you, so stop your pathetic whining.

If you are running a business and you don't want your employees downloading too much then get off your arse and put in restrictions of your own.
Are you saying if we are using residential plan then this sort of error/mistake is expected or allowable? This error did not happen to few 'Residential' users but many. This is always the excuse that Exetel use.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:37 am

AlanTse wrote:Are you saying if we are using residential plan then this sort of error/mistake is expected or allowable? This error did not happen to few 'Residential' users but many. This is always the excuse that Exetel use.
Well...yes. If you are using a residential plan, then this sort of error / mistake is expected and allowable. In fact, as for ANY service or product, even those that carry SLAs, this sort of error can (and will) happen; that is just real life for you as no product in the entire world can ever guarantee perfect operation. The difference between products that do and don't certain service level agreements is the turn-around time and effort placed in resolving such issues in a timely manner.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:42 am

This is sure there are errors/mistakes Exetel making during these years. However, I also see the reply from Exetel or other helpers are replying because we are residential plan users, we need to accept/compromise it, Exetel has no apologies.
This is like email newsletter from Exetel saying something like:
"You have 21 days period to swich to other ISP if you do not like our service...". This is very common to shops/companies when they are providing cheap service, they do not provide good customer service, include their manner.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 am

AlanTse wrote:Exetel has no apologies.This is like email newsletter from Exetel saying something like:
"You have 21 days period to swich to other ISP if you do not like our service...". This is very common to shops/companies when they are providing cheap service, they do not provide good customer service, include their manner.
There have been a few people taken aback by the straightforward language that Exetel use in newsletters, emails and responses but the perception that that is "bad customer service" is one of interpretation by the end user. What you consider rudeness and abrubtness, I consider to be honesty and straight-forwardness.

The moral is to not infer anything from language and tone of written words because unlike conversations a lot of information is lost when words are typed. Just read the words (which in the case of the recent emails are perfectly accurate and to the point: "if you don't like the changes that have been implemented you have the ability to churn away").

danioj

Post by danioj » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:24 pm

I have to comment on the post above regarding the language / tone used in newsletters and communications.

I personally find the straightforward and what appears to be honest, language and tone extremely refreshing. As a former PM within a large Telco in the UK, there are certain companies that could certainly learn a thing or two from Exetel's approach. Keep it up please :D.

Dan.