ADSL2 speed investigations one

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
fredfrog

ADSL2 speed investigations one

Post by fredfrog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Don't really understand the technical side of ADSL speed. Have been with Exetel for yonks and never really questioned speed since fist going to ADSL2 but there has been some rather large fluctuations in rates and a lot of jerky streaming of video.
The first questions to arise are about the Exetel members facility itself. I go to the...check your status first under network connections and arrive at the 7 check items but there is a warning message "to view these pages please ensure you have javascript enabled in your browser"

Is this critical ? will the check items not function properly without java script ? Downloaded the latest version 6.0 upgrade 10 and am assured by the java website the program is fully installed and operating correctly but in the advanced tab of internet properties....no java section which supposedly has the enable disable button. Both Java & IE7 help say it should be there.

I get some weird results from the check items, especially speed & ping but first question first.....should the java section be there and be enabled ?? Will proceed with results of checks when this is put to bed

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL2 speed investigations one

Post by Dazzled » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:00 pm

Not an essential part of fixing your speed problem, but you should distinguish between Java and Javascript. The latter is a language used for scripts to be executed inside your browser to dynamically form content to be displayed. A configured modern browser will contain javascript within its window. You shouldn't have to download javascript.

Java is a quite different beast - it is a computer language which can be executed via the operating system, and can do pretty well anything that can be done on a computer - hence the wariness when it shows up on unfamiliar websites.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:28 am

You only need to conduct 2 tests to assess you connection's speed. These avoid the need to use the Exetel diagnostic tools (which contain a lot of tests for routing issues, etc):
  • Log into you modem's web interface and find the status section. Post the data rate, line attenuation and noise margin.
  • Log onto a speed test site (or even better multiple sites) of your choice and perform a few tests. Post a summary of the speeds you get. Example speed site include http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/ or http://speedtest.net, or just even just go to microsoft.com and download a file directly and note the speed of transfer (even better, do a few files simultaneously and add up speeds)
Streaming quality is a different issue because of it's international location and a few issues with load balance of, say, Youtube streaming servers. So for initial speed tests you usually stick to domestic servers. Poor quality streaming can be raised as a separate matter after your domestic speeds have been assessed.

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi, I hope I'm replying to Corey.... on the speed topic. I think I've done what you suggested and here is the result

Modem Status
Link Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 416
Ds Rate (Kbps) 9568
US Margin 0
DS Margin 0
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 30
US Line Attenuation 0
Path Mode Interleaved

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Your current bandwidth reading is:

671.60kbps

which means you can download at 83.95 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up
33.6 kbps dial-up
53.3 kbps dial-up
56 kbps ISDN
128 kbps ISDN
384 kbps DSL
671.6 kbps YOU
768 kbps DSL
1000 kbps DSL
1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

Should I be getting about 8000 kbps ??

Thanks for your quick response to my posting

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:56 pm

fredfrog wrote:Should I be getting about 8000 kbps ??
Based on your modem stats, yes. Your modem is negotiating a strong sync at around 9.5Mbps. Ordinarily this should be able to provide 7-8Mbps of throughput so your Exetel speed reading of only 671kbps is incredibly low. I think you should go straight ahead and email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au, including your service number, your modem sync and this Exetel speed test and ask them if they can investigate your connection directly to help improve your speeds. You should get a response from them by tomorrow if you email them now /this evening.

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Dazzled wrote:Not an essential part of fixing your speed problem, but you should distinguish between Java and Javascript. The latter is a language used for scripts to be executed inside your browser to dynamically form content to be displayed. A configured modern browser will contain javascript within its window. You shouldn't have to download javascript.

Java is a quite different beast - it is a computer language which can be executed via the operating system, and can do pretty well anything that can be done on a computer - hence the wariness when it shows up on unfamiliar websites.
Thanks for the response, If IE7 should have javascript within it's window, should I now uninstall the java program or will it be of no consequence to leave it (there already is a notice from java of a new update available, after 1 day of downloading the latest version).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:35 pm

fredfrog wrote:should I now uninstall the java program or will it be of no consequence to leave it (there already is a notice from java of a new update available, after 1 day of downloading the latest version).
You can just leave it. It is quite a common application to have installed on your computer

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:02 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
fredfrog wrote:Should I be getting about 8000 kbps ??
Based on your modem stats, yes. Your modem is negotiating a strong sync at around 9.5Mbps. Ordinarily this should be able to provide 7-8Mbps of throughput so your Exetel speed reading of only 671kbps is incredibly low. I think you should go straight ahead and email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au, including your service number, your modem sync and this Exetel speed test and ask them if they can investigate your connection directly to help improve your speeds. You should get a response from them by tomorrow if you email them now /this evening.
Speed restored thank you. My connection went haywire after I sent the email, had to power off-reboot the modem. Was then plagued with dropouts, eventually sent another message with details , engineering said the modem didn't appear to be modulating correctly and they made some adjustments to the connection. No more dropouts and several tests on speedtest.net have all been above 8000kbps.........magic.