Shaping Issue

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Liammm

Shaping Issue

Post by Liammm » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Hello, today i reached my maximum download quota for on-peak and last month I'd requested to be shaped. I opened my web browser and got a screen informing me i was shaped and that I'd have 2gig shaped bandwidth and after exceeding this I'd be charged at $6/gig. I then clicked proceed and reopened my browser and was confronted with a screen notifying me that I'd gone over this 2gig allocation and was now being charged $6/gig which is wrong. I have screen shots of both pages and I also have a screen shot of my usage which says i have used 18106.63 megabytes, only 106.63 megabytes over my quota. I can confirm my internet is running at full speed and not at 64kb/s.

What do i do?

Thanks

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Shaping Issue

Post by James » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Liammm wrote:Hello, today i reached my maximum download quota for on-peak and last month I'd requested to be shaped. I opened my web browser and got a screen informing me i was shaped and that I'd have 2gig shaped bandwidth and after exceeding this I'd be charged at $6/gig. I then clicked proceed and reopened my browser and was confronted with a screen notifying me that I'd gone over this 2gig allocation and was now being charged $6/gig which is wrong. I have screen shots of both pages and I also have a screen shot of my usage which says i have used 18106.63 megabytes, only 106.63 megabytes over my quota. I can confirm my internet is running at full speed and not at 64kb/s.

What do i do?

Thanks
Not sure about the other stuff, BUT you will get full speed, just a 2gigabyte buffer, so go slow!

nylon

Post by nylon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:29 pm

I have the exactly the same issue as Liammm, including the getting erroneous 6c/G screen (if I click the RESTORE button on that screen it tells me I'm not on the blocked list!). What I don't get is that I'm being shaped after my OFFPEAK quota maxed out - I still have 4.5G of my PEAK quota unused.

Why would I be crimped to 2G when I have 4.5G of legitimate peak downloads unused?

Also odd is that on my Exetel member's screen, it reports:

"Usage Meter Server Time is 2008-12-26 12:21:32 PM. It currently count in offpeak download period."

Apart from the terrible English, it doesn't seem to know that offpeak time is over. Does this mean my offpeak quota is being gobbled up during peak hours, hence the offpeak blowout?

I think perhaps the Exetel scripts are buggy.

nylon.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:25 pm

nylon wrote:Why would I be crimped to 2G when I have 4.5G of legitimate peak downloads unused?
You shouldn't be. If I were you, I'd send residentialsupport@exetel.com.au an email. Include your service number and a brief outline (or a link to this thread) and ask them to sort it out
nylon wrote:Also odd is that on my Exetel member's screen, it reports:

"Usage Meter Server Time is 2008-12-26 12:21:32 PM. It currently count in offpeak download period."

Apart from the terrible English, it doesn't seem to know that offpeak time is over. Does this mean my offpeak quota is being gobbled up during peak hours, hence the offpeak blowout?
'Tis a bug in the HTML code that displays that sentence and has been raised in http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30184. You can safely ignore the sentence; it doesn't impact on your download quota. When it is corrected it is mainly intended to be for clarification of time zones and daylight savings for people in WA and SA.

nylon

Post by nylon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks, Coreyplover. The really annoying thing is that exactly the same scenario happened again TODAY, which is rapidly becoming annoying.

Apparently even ticking the "Remember my decision" when getting unblocked is not working.

Shabby scripting!

mijoie

Post by mijoie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:33 pm

nylon wrote:Thanks, Coreyplover. The really annoying thing is that exactly the same scenario happened again TODAY, which is rapidly becoming annoying.

Apparently even ticking the "Remember my decision" when getting unblocked is not working.

Shabby scripting!
I also have had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago, i person from exetel got it sorted out, a tech checked my account and did find i was shaped for no reason, i still had quota left.
But again today i have been shaped, myself i am not to worried as i am no moving to another ISP, so after being used to no usable net and the same problems happening and getting the standed responce thats its a problem on my end etc when its not.

So i would suggest you keep on the tech staff and if you get the right person they will take the time to check your account out and fix it. It took 5 days of no usable net and lots of chasing before they found the problem on thier end. Best of luck with it.

mijoie

Post by mijoie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:44 pm

I just thought of one more thing with this problem if its shaping from exetel that souldnt be happening you will find the only site that works well is exetels site, all other sites will time out or not load.
You can use speedtest.net but it will take 5 minutes to give you a speed test result and it will be bad, exetels own speed test will return a test at full speed for your connection, so dont use exetels speed test because its the only place your connection will work.
I mentioned this due to hopefully this might help techs at exetel when they test an account and get a perfect result back and say its on the customers end when its not because accounts that are shaped when they souldnt be work at full speed on exetels sites only and exetels speed test aswell.

21st100

Post by 21st100 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 pm

I am having a problem right now too with this shaping thing.
I just got shaped and accepted the 2Gb thingo.. but i am having problems reaching alot of sites.

-:- Google shows up with a Forbidden Error. both US and AUS version but UK works ok.
This stops me checking email.
-:- MSN Messenger Doesnt login.

This happened last month too but i got capped on the last day of the month so i thought it was a problem on my side.
Any Suggestions on how to fix this ?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 pm

21st100 wrote:
-:- Google shows up with a Forbidden Error. both US and AUS version but UK works ok.
not sure if Google are having issues but the US and AU sites haven't been working all day for me (I'm not on an Exetel connection right now)

21st100

Post by 21st100 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 pm

jok11n wrote:
21st100 wrote:
not sure if Google are having issues but the US and AU sites haven't been working all day for me (I'm not on an Exetel connection right now)
Google has been working all day for me, i kept on eye on my usage and i got capped 1 hr ago..as soon as i got capped and i accepted the 2gb thingo google and msn ceased to work.
I am pretty sure google wouldn't go down for a whole day... and what are the chances that the AU and US site go down simultaneously and UK stays up...
I can even get Google through a Proxy (http://www.unibreak.com).
I reckon its on exetels side

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 pm

21st100 wrote:I am having a problem right now too with this shaping thing. Any Suggestions on how to fix this ?
There is a suggestion at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=213420 that will hopefully help with web page time outs while you are shaped.