Blocked for Peak usage during Off-peak period

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
exchef

Blocked for Peak usage during Off-peak period

Post by exchef » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 pm

So last night I was using up the last of my Peak quota between 11:30pm and 12:00am AEST and it ticked over to the Off-Peak period, apparently without me reaching 18Gb (and needing to unblock my account).

At about 2am AEST, when I went to bed, FDM was happily dl'ing at the usual 800K/s; when I checked again this morning, I found I had been blocked for excess usage in the Peak period, at about 3:10am AEST (48mb over 18Gb), with 20Gb of Off-peak quota still left (all was fine after I used the unblock page).

And now the questions:

how soon after reaching the quota does the block kick in?

I actually thought I would be under 18Gb at midnight AEST last night; would it have been possible for me to dl another 2Gb before the block kicked in (would only take an hour)? Will I be charged for excess if that was the case?

Can I get back the 15Gb of quota that I would have used last night, had the account not been blocked? I won't be leaving >20Gb worth of dl's till the end of month again, but kinda sucks to not be able to use that quota.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Blocked for Peak usage during Off-peak period

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 pm

exchef wrote:how soon after reaching the quota does the block kick in?
It is a little variable. The system doesn't scan account usage in real time. A few hours delay would seem quite typical.
exchef wrote:I actually thought I would be under 18Gb at midnight AEST last night; would it have been possible for me to dl another 2Gb before the block kicked in (would only take an hour)? Will I be charged for excess if that was the case?
The 2Gb is a "grace period" it is intended to be used to allow adequate time between the moment you exceed your quota and the moment you receive the notification (see the above comment). It is not intended to be used for 2Gb of extra "free" downloads.
exchef wrote:Can I get back the 15Gb of quota that I would have used last night, had the account not been blocked?
No.

Bottom line, if you cut the download quota so fine (48Mb in this case) you bare the consequences of being disadvantaged in some way (whether that be excess usage charge, or delayed block messages impeding on your downloading). The moral is to keep under your quota and manage your downloads more carefully.

exchef

Post by exchef » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm

The 2Gb is a "grace period" it is intended to be used to allow adequate time between the moment you exceed your quota and the moment you receive the notification (see the above comment). It is not intended to be used for 2Gb of extra "free" downloads.
I wasn't implying that I would like to use the 2Gb as free downloads, I'm happy with the quota that I pay for.

But as a "grace period", it's pretty ineffective, in so far as a small error on the user's side (eg. clicking 'start all' instead of 'start' in one's dl manager) will still result in a hefty excess fee: 800 KB/s multiplied by the 'typical' delay etc.
Bottom line, if you cut the download quota so fine (48Mb in this case) you bare the consequences of being disadvantaged in some way (whether that be excess usage charge, or delayed block messages impeding on your downloading). The moral is to keep under your quota and manage your downloads more carefully.
If that is the moral of story, why bother with the 2GB grace period at all?

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:51 pm

exchef wrote:If that is the moral of story, why bother with the 2GB grace period at all?
So you can make the 'mistake' without financial penalty.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:54 am

exchef wrote:But as a "grace period", it's pretty ineffective, in so far as a small error on the user's side (eg. clicking 'start all' instead of 'start' in one's dl manager) will still result in a hefty excess fee: 800 KB/s multiplied by the 'typical' delay etc.
A "grace period" means a gesture of goodwill. Very similar to a 5-10% buffer on speeding limits before the police decide to penalise you with a fine. It is there to remove the black and white dividing line between "under 48Gb" and "over 48Gb" and replace it with a grey region (i.e. "under 48Gb" = no penalty, "over 50Gb" = penalty, "between 48-50Gb" = there *should* be a penalty but it is being waived out of generosity).

If you click "Start all" and exceed the limit by 800KB/s x 120 minutes = 5.6Gb then you are liable for $6/Gb traffic in excess of the already generous 48Gb + 2Gb buffer. Full stop. Period.

Exetel simply provide a variety of tools (usage meters) and barriers (block pages) to aid you in managing your own downloads but ultimately *you* - the end user and not Exetel - are responsible for managing your downloads correctly and prudently.
exchef wrote:If that is the moral of story, why bother with the 2GB grace period at all?
I'm sure if it were removed, you would appreciating it more.

exchef

Post by exchef » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:45 am

Exetel simply provide a variety of tools (usage meters) and barriers (block pages) to aid you in managing your own downloads but ultimately *you* - the end user and not Exetel - are responsible for managing your downloads correctly and prudently.
Well stated, though I am tempted to think that the 'tools' and 'barriers' are part of the service that is provided to customers, so it's reasonably to ask questions should they not function as expected.

I think then, that the moral of the story for me is that there is no safety net with my dl's, except when I'm intentionally trying to get close to quota (and for that, I am truly grateful).

I would like to add that I am not one of your greedy little leachers Corey: I've never exceeded my quota by much, even when I had free, unshaped excess earlier in the year (when shaping didnt work); just because we are talking quota, doesnt mean I'm trying to scam as much out of Exetel as I possibly can, as I think you may have a tendency to assume...

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Granted. Continued exposure to a small minority of users via these forums just makes you a little cynical when it comes to user complaints. Enjoy the new year.

gregando

Post by gregando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:33 pm

I think it is BS. How can your crossing of Peak quota affect your off peak quota? If I pass my limit from one period, THIS SHOULD NOT AFFECT THE OTHER PERIOD.

I think he should have been reimbursed some what (either a credit or extra quota next month), he was robbed of the service he legitimately paid for.

If you dont accept the charges stated on the blocked page, I think it is great that they block you from continued use in the relevant period.

But I should be able to continue using my remaining qutoa when in that unused period.

I now have the problem that I crossed my off peak usage (by less than the 2GB), but am currently in the peak period, yet I cannot use my remaining peak internet quota until I accept the excess usage charges (which I do not want to do - I dont ever want to use more than my quota).

I am on this plan because I dont want to pay any more than my budget. I want this page to always come up as soon as my quota is used, and be blocked, rather than pay more money. That is the idea of the shaped plan (no additional cost). This page should only come up when I am in over-quota period.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:50 pm

gregando,
The automated blocks are NOT in place to enable you to leech every last kilobyte out of Exetel's generous off-peak quota. If you feel so strongly at not wanting to be blocked, then I suggest you aim to not exceed your off-peak quota. It is, after all, a rather simple concept: agree to pay for what you use. Your other recourse is to agree to the excess usage charge and switch your modem off during off-peak hours for the remainder of the month. This would accomplish exactly the same goal (wanting to be blocked for off-peak for the rest of the month) without any profanities or abuse needed to be slung at Exetel
gregando wrote:I think he should have been reimbursed some what (either a credit or extra quota next month), he was robbed of the service he legitimately paid for.
And I think you are one of those people who expect to get everything for nothing. You may well be the type of person I meant when I spoke about a "continued exposure to a small minority of users via these forums". How would you feel if Exetel simple disbanded the "shaping" option and blocking altogether. God forbid that users like yourself are forced to be accountable for your own quota and usage :shock: .

CrackerJak1

Post by CrackerJak1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm on adsl 1 and had the exact same thing happen to me (over by 7mb in off peak, blocked in on peak), the block was only temporary and my on peak speeds were back to normal within 5mins of unblocking as I was under quota in on peak.

The block was simply there to make you aware of exceeded quota in your off peak period, nothing unfair about that.

I breathed a sigh of relief when speeds went back to normal after midnight in march, seems as if the shaping has been automated now so people aren't waiting for someone to go to the office and flick the 'de-shaping' switch.