Newcastle internet getting really slow

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
JasonM

Re: Newcastle internet getting really slow

Post by JasonM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Mano,

Calm down - we have been at the mercy of our supplier and their many engineers.

I escalated the issue to someone who cares, and I got a positive response. I don't have a solid ETR on this issue yet - I'll continue escalating and pushing for updates / information.

Initial information shows this issue is with their IP Support / Capacity planning team - as initially suspected, it appears to be congestion at some point through the network. Obviously, not within a link we have direct control over.

Thanks!
Jason

EDIT: If it's of any interest, it seems this is affecting multiple customers at our supplier as well :)

jauser

Post by jauser » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:03 pm

I;m on the Charlestown optus exchange .Been getting dial up speeds for the last 5hrs also :cry:

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Please watch your language Mano - frustration should not mean that good manners desert you.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Tox

Post by Tox » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:06 am

Hey Mano,

I assume you are talking about the password for the ftp test JasonM told us to do ?

Just type the password testspeed when prompted and press enter....It doesnt actually appear in the command window as you type...but it is there

Regards,
Scott

dxmn8r

Post by dxmn8r » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 pm

i am also on the hamilton exchange and for the last week getting 60-120KB/sec . , upload is faster than download, also upstream and downstream noise is at 12-16db , last time i checked the noise was 20th jan and downstream was 6db, upstream 12db.

Since around 20th of december was getting huge fluctuation in speed from 100-1200KB/sec , and frequent drop outs , bought a new modem which didnt fix problem , logged a ticket (1054549 - cancelled this as dropouts appeared to go away for awhile & 1116307) for the dropouts and because line was syncing at adsl2 speeds (at this stage i didnt even know about the change over (why werent customers informed of this?)

is anyone else close to the hamilton exchange getting high noise numbers ?

can i go back to adsl1 ?

wondering also how many people that were changed over to powertel adsl2+ without them knowing have very old adsl1 filters and now getting issues relating to that ?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 pm

There is no option to reverse Exetel's change of supplier.

The issues being reported are being investigated on a case by case basis, and largely, the migrations have been successful.

The speed issues are being looked into, when more information is available, an update will be posted.

Cage-au

Post by Cage-au » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm

JasonM, can we get an update on this please?

As soon as it is considered resolved please let us know so I can make a decision to churn or not.

At the moment speeds have improved somewhat but not nearly as fast as what my ADSL1 on Telstra was.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Firstly, there's never any incentive to help a customer who threatens to churn / leave. If they do it once to get a response, they will likely try it every time. We can only do so much to satisfy a customer - and thus far, in this instance, it has been to log an issue with the supplier, escalate it, and have the right people investigate.
I'm sorry if actions thus far are still not acceptable / satisfying.

An update on the issue:
Notes on one of the cases shows a possible link upgrade due after this Sunday 22/02.
Test it after Sunday, and advise if the issues remain.

Cage-au

Post by Cage-au » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Thank you for the fast reply.

I will also like to add that my mention of churning was not said to try and get a reply. Just stating a fact.

I will wait till next week before making any decision.

Dittohead

Post by Dittohead » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks for the update, Jason.

Cage-au

Post by Cage-au » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:12 am

Well, it seems the Powertel bandwidth upgrade has been done.

At 9am this morning I am getting a tad over 1MB/s download speed. For the first time since I was moved to Powertel I am actually getting faster speeds then when I was on Telstra ADSL1. Lets hope this continues on throughout the day.

Tox

Post by Tox » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:15 am

Yep i agree, so far so good. But lets see what happens over the rest of the day before we celebrate !!! LOL

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 am

The supplier did state the work would be complete by 6am.

Anyone still having speed issues?

Dittohead

Post by Dittohead » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:31 am

Speeds at this time have returned back to normal. I might post again during peak period to see if it holds up. Thanks for all your help, Jason.

bowserxj

Post by bowserxj » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:43 am

Still having dramas on my exchange, today is the worse its been.

I tested it and it came up as max download of 77kbs, i tested again 5 minutes later and now its 173kbs.

btw This is the Engadine exchange
Attachments
bw.jpg
bw.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 614 times