ADSL2+ Wallsend exchange slow

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
JasonM

Re: ADSL2+ Wallsend exchange slow

Post by JasonM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:06 am

Mozzar wrote:Also, can Exetel put any pressure on Optus to fix this quicker or is it just a case where you politely request when Optus might fix it and just accept their answer as acceptable?
I'm not aware of the full details behind why it has been delayed, just that the link is heavily congested. In other cases of congestion, upgrades have been forthcoming in efficient time frames, so I'm not sure why this one is taking longer. It's a standard upgrade, they do the same upgrades at many other exchanges (and have planned outages to demonstrate this).
Mozzar wrote:then infrastructure owners like Optus can let systems degrade so badly and still allow ISP's to jump on the reselling bandwagon without any concern for their customers. I constantly sync at 12Mbps but can't remember the last time I saw a quarter of that speed. I wonder what the TIO would say about this? Has anyone tried them yet?
The TIO aren't likely to get you any outcomes here. The same situation will apply, except you as a customer would cost significantly more than other customers to supply a service to.

The supplier (Optus) has advised works commence in June, for whatever reasons are relevant to Optus (and the backhaul network supplier they are using in the Wallsend exchange - it could be Telstra). As a customer of Optus, Exetel can escalate the speed issues to them, and await their resolution - which Optus appears to have already arranged.

I'll see if they are open to sharing some of the information about why it did not happen in Feb / March and why it's taking through to June, but as you likely understand - it's not really for anyone but them to know. I'm sure they don't want the negativity associated with the long running issue - so I can only assume it's either upstream supplier or maybe technical.

Mozzar

Post by Mozzar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for your reply Jason. :)

I understand Optus might not be forthcoming with any details of the delay but would appreciate if you could try. Optus not providing details is creating negativity with Exetel and Internode customers so if they could lessen this by giving more details then you think they would if they truly care.

Have a good weekend! 8)

apat

Post by apat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:28 am

Such a disappointing issue. What little respect I had for Optus is now gone. Until the start of this year, I have had the 12 month bliss of a rock solid ADSL2+ connection, but that has now transformed into a connection with massive pings and 30%+ levels of packet loss at peak usage times. Online gaming is now impossible for all but a few hours per week (which fall when I'm at work) and for the last few days we have had to disable our VOIP or use our mobile phones to make outgoing calls.

I have been monitoring my connection with PingPlotter for the past 2 weeks, and last night was the worst I have had, which is proving that the situation is only getting worse. This PingPlotter screenshot shows what users on the Wallsend exchange are currently experiencing http://home.exetel.com.au/apat/pingplotter3.png

JasonM, I understand that this is an Optus infrastructure and/or backhaul issue, and as such Exetel (and every other ISP reselling their products) have little to no influence in rectifying these problems, but surely you realise that posting comments like "It could be worse", "so it's still competing well with 256kbps ADSL", and quoting what "most others" are supposedly experiencing at this time explains and achieves nothing, and is likely to only provoke angry responses from users who (rightfully so) are very frustrated in paying for a product they are no longer receiving during peak time? For example, show me a 256kb/s ADSL1 service where 30%+ packet loss and speeds ranging between 5 and 15KB/s is considered acceptable?

As one Internode user put it on Whirlpool he is "paying a full time price for a part time connection". The only comfort I can take away from this issue is that I'm not paying Internode prices for the same crippled service. I have considered going back to Telstra hardware on an ADSL1 plan for 6 months, but then I run the risk of losing my Optus port at the exchange when these problems eventually are fixed. So circumstance dictates that I simply have to sit tight and wait months for this to be fixed, with the hope that Optus dont again choose to delay the exchange upgrade again for another 3, 6, 12? months.

I wonder how long such an issue would be left unrectified were this a Sydney or Melbourne exchange? Optus Head Office probably don't even know (or care) where Newcastle is.

Steve78

Post by Steve78 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm maxed out at 174.00kbps. Woohoo. I guess it can only go up from here. Seriously this is a joke.
Talk about false advertising. :cry:

andysandy

Post by andysandy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 am

apat wrote:
I wonder how long such an issue would be left unrectified were this a Sydney or Melbourne exchange? Optus Head Office probably don't even know (or care) where Newcastle is.
I'm emailing Optus reguarly so maybe if a few complain they might do something about sooner. I actually got excited when I maxed 47kbps yesterday, I wonder if I'll ever see my 1200kbps again :( Well, 47 is better than 0.04...the most expensive dialup 28k speed ever!

Steve78

Post by Steve78 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:23 am

andysandy wrote:
apat wrote:
I'm emailing Optus reguarly so maybe if a few complain they might do something about sooner. I actually got excited when I maxed 47kbps yesterday, I wonder if I'll ever see my 1200kbps again :( Well, 47 is better than 0.04...the most expensive dialup 28k speed ever!

Good idea. I will start doing the same.

Ocoth

Post by Ocoth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:01 am

Is it possible for us to get a 50% discount for the period until the issue is fixed?

Mozzar

Post by Mozzar » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 am

Ocoth wrote:Is it possible for us to get a 50% discount for the period until the issue is fixed?
I think the only chance for a discount would be if Optus discounted their charges and Exetel passed this discount onto us customers. The words "no" and "buckleys" come to mind.

I'll give the TIO a call next week to see what they say about Optus handling the situation as they have done.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:58 am

I doubt the TIO will help you, as the costly, yet useless complaint will invariably be logged against Exetel.

Mozzar

Post by Mozzar » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:58 pm

JasonM wrote:I doubt the TIO will help you, as the costly, yet useless complaint will invariably be logged against Exetel.
Who is it costly too other then your customers who are paying for substandard connections?

Also why do you state it would be a useless complaint and one that would be logged against Exetel when I have 2 threads with Exetel and Internode staff advising their customers that Optus have advised of contention issues at Wallsend exchange and not lived up to resolution dates that were unacceptable in the first place? Surely the TIO will have enough evidence to log the complaint directly with Optus and be able to apply more pressure then we've seen so far from our ISP's?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:00 pm

Mozzar wrote:Surely the TIO will have enough evidence to log the complaint directly with Optus and be able to apply more pressure then we've seen so far from our ISP's?
Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. The TIO logs complaints against (and charges) your ISP whether your ISP has any control over a particular issue or not. Often, logic and the TIO can not be used in the same sentence.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Mozzar

Post by Mozzar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:39 pm

JasonM wrote: It is just a matter of being patient through the slow speeds, and be hopeful that the issue is resolved in June as anticipated (or if out of contract, move off the Optus ADSL2+ network)..
I accept that Exetel and Internode have done what they can and am not looking to make them pay, but looking for a way to get something done other then wait. I have already waited patiently till March and am now told I have to wait till June now with no promise I won't be told the same again once the time has come.

As it turns out, I am out of contract but don't wish to leave Exetel. I can't stay with Exetel and use Telstra for ADSL2+ so if I was to stay with Exetel I would have to go back to ADSL1 which is more expensive, has less downloads and supposed to be slower. There's no iiNet/TPG/etc dslams at Wallsend exchange so can only choose Optus or Telstra resellers. If I had better options I wouldn't be here still complaining and saying I think I need the TIO to help.

I now find it ironic that the very government body put in place to assist doesn't actually do that and from your reply I feel if I go to them to see, I will magically find myself asked to leave Exetel for some reason that makes as much sense as ISP's being able to resell infrastructure that doesn't live up to basic standards in the first place.

How about I call the TIO, don't give them any details about what ISP I'm with and only complain about Optus? Wouldn't they be forced to lodge the complaint with Optus and bill them for the costs? I am happy to work with you guys to get some sort of resolution other then having to wait another 3 months! Can Exetel or Internode go to the TIO to lodge a complaint against Optus or is that again seen as biting the hand that feeds you?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:20 pm

Mozzar wrote:
JasonM wrote: It is just a matter of being patient through the slow speeds, and be hopeful that the issue is resolved in June as anticipated (or if out of contract, move off the Optus ADSL2+ network)..
I accept that Exetel and Internode have done what they can and am not looking to make them pay, but looking for a way to get something done other then wait. I have already waited patiently till March and am now told I have to wait till June now with no promise I won't be told the same again once the time has come.

As it turns out, I am out of contract but don't wish to leave Exetel. I can't stay with Exetel and use Telstra for ADSL2+ so if I was to stay with Exetel I would have to go back to ADSL1 which is more expensive, has less downloads and supposed to be slower. There's no iiNet/TPG/etc dslams at Wallsend exchange so can only choose Optus or Telstra resellers. If I had better options I wouldn't be here still complaining and saying I think I need the TIO to help.

I now find it ironic that the very government body put in place to assist doesn't actually do that and from your reply I feel if I go to them to see, I will magically find myself asked to leave Exetel for some reason that makes as much sense as ISP's being able to resell infrastructure that doesn't live up to basic standards in the first place.

How about I call the TIO, don't give them any details about what ISP I'm with and only complain about Optus? Wouldn't they be forced to lodge the complaint with Optus and bill them for the costs? I am happy to work with you guys to get some sort of resolution other then having to wait another 3 months! Can Exetel or Internode go to the TIO to lodge a complaint against Optus or is that again seen as biting the hand that feeds you?
If you go to the TIO, knowing that Exetel can do nothing to improve your situation, then what is it you think you can achieve?

Absolutely nothing positive for you and you will cost Exetel money.

What is it that you think Exetel can do to alleviate your problem? If you have any suggestions then we will be happy to hear them and, if it is possible, we will be happy to implement them. We will formally write to you over the next two days explaining the situation as we have been told by Optus (we have absolutely no way of verifying what we are being told is true) and that is all we can do.

We have written to Optus today as follows:

"Wallsend Exchange

Dear [ ],

This is an increasingly bad situation that Optus needs to do something about.

It is also something that Exetel, regardless of what Optus does, will have to do something about.

My suggestion is that Optus do not charge for ANY of the services on this and other affected exchanges until you can actually deliver what is required.

Exetel has been through this situation with Optus before (May to August 2006) and you nearly killed our business and you must understand that you can't do it again.

Please let me know by COB on Monday what you are prepared to do. After that Exetel will tell Optus what we are going to have to do.

John Linton
(for Exetel Pty Ltd)"

We will give you the options that we believe are the only options available to you in that email which will include moving away to an ISP of your choice other than Exetel. It may well include a notice of service termination due to an ability to supply under the ts and cs of the contract. It will certainly include some amelioration of the current charges until the issue is resolved by Optus.

You would/should understand that ALL Optus resellers (including Optus Retail and Optus owned Virgin) are faced with the same scenario and they will not be alternatives for you to move to if your objective is to resolve this problem.

"Going to the TIO" will not achieve anything for you and you will learn nothing more than you have in this post.

However should that be something you believe is in your interests to do then that is entirely your decision. Please be aware that we would deem such an action as being totally unreasonable.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:51 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Mozzar wrote:
JasonM wrote:How about I call the TIO, don't give them any details about what ISP I'm with and only complain about Optus? Wouldn't they be forced to lodge the complaint with Optus and bill them for the costs? I am happy to work with you guys to get some sort of resolution other then having to wait another 3 months! Can Exetel or Internode go to the TIO to lodge a complaint against Optus or is that again seen as biting the hand that feeds you?
If you go to the TIO, knowing that Exetel can do nothing to improve your situation, then what is it you think you can achieve?

Absolutely nothing positive for you and you will cost Exetel money.

{snip}

"Going to the TIO" will not achieve anything for you and you will learn nothing more than you have in this post.

However should that be something you believe is in your interests to do then that is entirely your decision. Please be aware that we would deem such an action as being totally unreasonable.
John, the OP's question was what if he went to the TIO and complained about Optus, never mentioning Exetel. He knows and understands it is not an Exetel fixable problem.

Maldark

Post by Maldark » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:26 am

Thanks Exetel for keeping on Optus' back about this. Be sure to let us know if they reply with anything remotely helpful (hey, I can dream).

Quite frankly it's embarassing that a company as large as Optus can't get it's shit together and fix this problem.