Sent to blocked page, not over quota

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
gregando

Sent to blocked page, not over quota

Post by gregando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:48 pm

I have the problem that I crossed my off peak usage (by less than the permitted 2GB), but am currently in the peak period, yet I cannot use my remaining peak internet quota until I accept the excess usage charges (which I do not want to do - I dont ever want to use more than my quota).

I am on this plan because I dont want to pay any more than my budget. I want this page to always come up as soon as my quota is used, and be blocked, rather than pay more money. That is the idea of the shaped plan (no additional cost). This page should only come up when I am in over-quota period.

I am forced now to put check marks in two boxes and then click a button so I can use the internet I paid for at the start of this month. Otherwise, Exetel are stealing my remaining Peak quota from me. So that is what I am going to do.

What I need to make clear is that I have not yet accepted these charges, I am merely being forced to take an action. I am applying to have these changes to my account reversed.

In future, can this page page be set up to only come up in the relevant usage period. Also, can I have the actions that I was forced to make reversed?

Thanks.

JasonM

Re: Sent to blocked page, not over quota

Post by JasonM » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Exetel's usage meter is updated regularly.

Why not use it to plan your usage throughout the month better?

gregando

Post by gregando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:02 pm

I do, tomorrow is the start of a new month...

gregando

Post by gregando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Okay, so I only accepted the first checkbox, and it seems to have let me back online.

So I now I have some questions:

1) Whenever I cross my quota in the future, will I be redirected to this "blocked" page, regardless of the period that I use up all my quota in?

2) The second section (Future Download Warnings) specified the PEAK period, not the OFF PEAK period. Is this a defect in the code designed to display this page? Or what?

This page is pretty confusing, first it says I have gone over the 2GB grace quota(which I have not) and then it mixes up things, and is not clear about whether further blocks / warnings will be received in the future.

If this is supposed to work in the way I would like to see it work (and that may not be Exetels design) you would probably want to specify that people are now in the grace data quota, not in excess of it. You would also probably want to use radio buttons to let users know that that they can allow it only for this month, or forever - and that they have the option of those two choices. If you then only display this page in the relevant period and allow them to continue using their unused quota in the other period I think it could be considered acceptable and fair for your customers.

If this continues to be displayed in both periods, it is extremely likely to steal users quota at the end of the month.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:14 pm

gregando wrote:Otherwise, Exetel are stealing my remaining Peak quota from me.
If this continues to be displayed in both periods, it is extremely likely to steal users quota at the end of the month.
"Stealing"!? I don't think so.

I am *not* an Exetel representative (so this is only my interpretation of the terms and conditions of ADSL/ADSL2+ services) but you have an entitlement to download xGb peak + yGb off-peak, subject to certain conditions. One of these is currently involves you agreeing to excess usage charges. In fact, your terms and conditions state:
6.7 Exetel may (but is not obliged to) contact the Customer if Exetel becomes aware of an unusually high use of the Service by the Customer (including to verify any costs or charges which the Customer may have incurred). In such event, Exetel may ask the Customer to make a pre-payment usage charge under clause 9.5. Exetel is also entitled to suspend the Service under clause 13.1(a) for an unusually high use of the Service.
I do, however, agree that there is some confusion in the wording:
  • The talk about the grace period used to be clearer: when off-peak quotas were 48Gb it said that any usage above 50Gb would be charged at $6/Gb (i.e. a 2Gb grace period)
  • Regarding the "12 noon to 12 midnight" this may be a typo. I will raise a post in the relevant section to address this concern of yours