ADSL2+ outage since 2pm 5 March 2009

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
andrewpontes

Re: ADSL2+ outage since 2pm 5 March 2009

Post by andrewpontes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi James,

The handling of this outage by Exetel Support is simply appalling. No updates, no notification and closing logged tickits as resolved with "mickey mouse" responses.

I hope you learn with your mistakes and get your customer services and outage notification improved.

By the way, my Internet still does not work.

Regards,

Andrew Pontes

SeanSheep

Post by SeanSheep » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Update to my last post: In the last 5 mins my DNS has started working again using the "Automatically Detect DNS Servers" with the above DNS Servers being used (220.233.0.3 and .4)

I wouldn't mind knowing what this issue was in the first place though.

Thanks,
Sean.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:24 pm

andrewpontes wrote:Hi James,

The handling of this outage by Exetel Support is simply appalling. No updates, no notification and closing logged tickits as resolved with "mickey mouse" responses.

I hope you learn with your mistakes and get your customer services and outage notification improved.

By the way, my Internet still does not work.

Regards,

Andrew Pontes
Set your DNS servers to 220.233.0.4 and 220.233.0.3 - does that resolve the issue?

andrewpontes

Post by andrewpontes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Internet is up again. I did not have to do any work around.

I keep my comments about the inexistence of outage notification and poor customer support.

Regards,

itachi46

Post by itachi46 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:31 pm

jeez darn u lucky people getting ure internet back... my modems (yes i tried 2) are both acting like im not even plugging a telephone line into them -_-

SeanSheep

Post by SeanSheep » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:34 pm

itachi46,

In your router setup; perhaps near a 'quick setup' area, is there an option to "Auto Scan Internet Connection (PVC)"?

If so, try that and see if it detects an available connection on your line.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:34 pm

itachi46 wrote:jeez darn u lucky people getting ure internet back... my modems (yes i tried 2) are both acting like im not even plugging a telephone line into them -_-
There's a YouTube video about an angry kid throwing a tantrum that I liken them to.

For your specific issue, it sounds like your ADSL light may not be on? Can you PM your service number to me so I can investigate?

bjc

Post by bjc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm

I just did what my bro said to do and turn off the router for at least 30mins. All worked fine once it was turned back on but being at home I could not rectify the problem as how can you find out the problems if you cant get the info from the net!
Tried everything also before calling him and him telling me the problems from his internet at work.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:46 pm

I too would like to know if this is a new issue (ie a repeat of last bight) or simply a continuation.

DNS doesn't work - I tried manually inputting Exetel's DNS.

I am using OpenDNS.

I am in Melbourne, same issue in Tahmoor (near Picton) NSW.

ANY explanation would be better than none, which is what we have so far. Even if all you can say is "there is a problem, we are trying to identify it and will post further info when it becomes available".

Prodigy

Post by Prodigy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:59 pm

My connection went down last night at 8:30pm and hasn't been back up since. Straight after it happened my modem was returning an "invalid username/password" when it tried to connect?!

Today I accessed the net from work and tried using my regular username/password today on the online helpdesk, and it says the same thing: ie "ERROR: login invalid"? :?

So I called the phone helpline, only to be greeted with hold music every time I called, I gave up after 1/2 an hour on hold each time.

I emailed residentialsupport@exetel.com.au at 10:13am and still have not received a reply?

Then on my last attempted call to customer support I just noticed an automated message referring to the fault being discussed on the forums. So here I am, left wondering if I will be able to have internet access at all for the weekend? If staff can chuck me a PM I can provide my service & mobile number.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 pm

The issue last night was resolved, if you are still experiencing difficulties, there's a high possibility that your modem has the wrong username entered.

itachi46

Post by itachi46 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Prodigy wrote:My connection went down last night at 8:30pm and hasn't been back up since. Straight after it happened my modem was returning an "invalid username/password" when it tried to connect?!

Today I accessed the net from work and tried using my regular username/password today on the online helpdesk, and it says the same thing: ie "ERROR: login invalid"? :?

So I called the phone helpline, only to be greeted with hold music every time I called, I gave up after 1/2 an hour on hold each time.

I emailed residentialsupport@exetel.com.au at 10:13am and still have not received a reply?

Then on my last attempted call to customer support I just noticed an automated message referring to the fault being discussed on the forums. So here I am, left wondering if I will be able to have internet access at all for the weekend? If staff can chuck me a PM I can provide my service & mobile number.

same here buddy only mine doesnt even pick up a dsl link AT ALL :S

Prodigy

Post by Prodigy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:08 pm

JasonM wrote:The issue last night was resolved, if you are still experiencing difficulties, there's a high possibility that your modem has the wrong username entered.
I never changed my username or password in the modem settings, and cant use the correct username/password on the helpdesk page here at work, so how is that the cause of my problem?
itachi46 wrote:same here buddy only mine doesnt even pick up a dsl link AT ALL :S
Mine seemed to get an ADSL signal, tried to sync up then returned the "incorrect username/password" message.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Prodigy wrote:
JasonM wrote:The issue last night was resolved, if you are still experiencing difficulties, there's a high possibility that your modem has the wrong username entered.
I never changed my username or password in the modem settings, and cant use the correct username/password on the helpdesk page here at work, so how is that the cause of my problem?
It is very possible if you reset the modem that the details are no longer correctly set.

PM your number to me if you wish, and I will investigate.

goldendel

Post by goldendel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm also experiencing authentication errors when attemping to connect to the web since last night's outage. My VOIP is also not working. Is another outage occurring? Is the infrastructure being cut back over from last night's failover?

Thanks,

Tim