plan change procedure for going naked

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Post Reply
ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 pm

I have changed from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ recently, still running on my Telstra landline.

Now I got VoIP to work and was wondering what the procedure for changing to a naked plan would be. Could not find anything in the FAQs, nothing in the member facilities, so I emailed support. Three times. Got three answers, but none answering my question.
(An experience I had made before already, as well as that follow-up questions to actually get to the answer are then not replied to, which is why I then resent my request - wrong KPIs, anyone?).

Maybe someone here can point me into the right direction?
Do I have to apply for a naked plan like a new customer and pay the setup fee, or is there a way to just change the plan? If so, where & how?
Also, as the Exetel customer number is based on my landline number, would that change? To my VoIP DID number?

TIA,

Ronald

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:31 pm

It depends on whether you are in a contract period. Have a peek in the users' facilities at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/account_view_plan.php.

PTL plans, and also ADLS1 plans automatically transferred with Telstra PSTN phones intact, run on Powertel exchange equipment shared with Telstra.

Some ADSL1 customers have recently taken up an INCxxxx plan offer, and their internet and PSTN phones would be on Optus equipment, unshared.

All "naked" plans run on unshared Optus equipment only. You can transfer to naked without a break fee if you are out of contract. There will be a break fee if you are in contract. There is currently a special setup offer for Telstra customers out of contract. "Naked" customers are identified at login by their former PSTN phone numbers.

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Dazzled wrote:It depends on whether you are in a contract period. Have a peek in the users' facilities at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/account_view_plan.php.
Hm, I'm confused. This seems to have changed recently, I was not aware that with changing to ADSL2+ I would start on a new 12-month contract. The form in the member facilities stated $0 cost for any early cancellations, plan changes, whatsoever, and until recently the end of contract date was still listed as that of my original contract I took out about 2.5 years ago. Strange. And not good.
Perhaps I was a bit naive, but my idea was to change to ADSL2+ first, try to get the VoIP to work and see how it goes, and, if that's satisfactory, then go naked. Seems I've painted myself into a corner there, but also there seems some inconsistency in the data I see there with the information I got.
Dazzled wrote:PTL plans, and also ADLS1 plans automatically transferred with Telstra PSTN phones intact, run on Powertel exchange equipment shared with Telstra.

Some ADSL1 customers have recently taken up an INCxxxx plan offer, and their internet and PSTN phones would be on Optus equipment, unshared.

All "naked" plans run on unshared Optus equipment only. You can transfer to naked without a break fee if you are out of contract. There will be a break fee if you are in contract.
Hm. So I will have to pay a break fee in order to cancel my Telstra phone line and go naked, while keeping the Exetel ADSL2+ service I just moved to? That'd be a bummer...
Any idea how much that would be?
Dazzled wrote:There is currently a special setup offer for Telstra customers out of contract.
Dang. Should've asked more questions before changing...
Dazzled wrote:"Naked" customers are identified at login by their former PSTN phone numbers.
Ok, thank you.

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Does that actually mean that I will have to pay the break fee, and then the setup fee, in order to go naked?
And why the break fee - I just want to cancel my Telstra phone line?
Why was it not clearly pointed out that I would end up on a new 12 month contract?
That's all very annoying as I would have decided differently if I had known about these "details".

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:04 pm

ronald wrote:I have changed from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ recently, still running on my Telstra landline.
This implies you are currently on a PTL plan, is this correct?

There was recently a special offer to automatically migrate people from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ (Powertel based). I am not an Exetel official (so you should double check these contract matters with billing@exetel.com.au) but my recollection was that these special offers did not incur a new 12 month contract (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 94#p235094 points 2 and 4). Meaning your circumstances at the moment may be exactly as you recall them: I.e. ADSL2+, no new contract, retention of Telstra phone line, etc. If, however, you transferred to the PTL plan yourself (say, before this automatic migration) you probably incurred a new 12 month contract. You should confirm via your Member Facilities or perhaps follow up with this via billing@exetel.com.au.
ronald wrote:The form in the member facilities stated $0 cost for any early cancellations, plan changes, whatsoever...there seems some inconsistency in the data I see there with the information I got.
I don't ever recall seeing an ADSL order form with "$0 early cancellations". It would have said "$0 activation" but if so, this is unrelated to early cancellation (and "plan changes" only apply for ADSL1 due to the different speeds; not ADSL2+) . As I said above, email billing@exetel.com.au to get this confusion sorted out and see what they say about it.

If you want a Naked ADSL2+ service, this is provided via Optus based ADSL2+ infrastructure, not Powertel. So you cannot simply cancel your dial tone as Powertel don't offer Naked ADSL2+ services. If you want Naked ADSL2+ you will have to transfer from your current PTL plan to a NAK2 plan. You can do this but: 1. it may incur a break of contract fee depending on whihc circumstances of the above paragraph you fall into, 2. it will involve significant downtime (due to the manner in which Powertel services are configured) and 3. since it would be a new provider (Optus) this change will incur a new 12 month contract.

In hindsight, yes, had you gone from Telstra ADSL1 -> Optus Naked ADSL2+ directly or even Telstra ADSL1 -> Optus ADSL2+ -> Optus Naked ADSL2+ thing would have been a lot smoother. Telstra ADSL1 -> Powertel ADSL2+ -> Optus Naked ADSL2+ is still possible, just messier.

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:49 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
ronald wrote:I have changed from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ recently, still running on my Telstra landline.
This implies you are currently on a PTL plan, is this correct?
Yes.
CoreyPlover wrote:There was recently a special offer to automatically migrate people from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ (Powertel based). I am not an Exetel official (so you should double check these contract matters with billing@exetel.com.au) but my recollection was that these special offers did not incur a new 12 month contract (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 94#p235094 points 2 and 4). Meaning your circumstances at the moment may be exactly as you recall them: I.e. ADSL2+, no new contract, retention of Telstra phone line, etc.
Yes, that's how I read it as well.
CoreyPlover wrote:If, however, you transferred to the PTL plan yourself (say, before this automatic migration) you probably incurred a new 12 month contract. You should confirm via your Member Facilities or perhaps follow up with this via billing@exetel.com.au.
My Member Facilities say that I've just started a 12 month contract. I say I wasn't advised that that would be the case.
CoreyPlover wrote:
ronald wrote:The form in the member facilities stated $0 cost for any early cancellations, plan changes, whatsoever...there seems some inconsistency in the data I see there with the information I got.
I don't ever recall seeing an ADSL order form with "$0 early cancellations". It would have said "$0 activation" but if so, this is unrelated to early cancellation (and "plan changes" only apply for ADSL1 due to the different speeds; not ADSL2+) .
Ok, here is what it said:
I agree to pay $0.00 to move to an ANYPHONE ADSL2+
service. I Agree to pay the early termination fee if I
disconnect or my actions cause my ADSL service to be
disconnected.
I agree that if I withdraw this application after Exetel accepts
it I will still be liable to pay the $0.00 activation fee.
So every fee that is explicitly listed is $0.00, and the "early termination fee" is snuck right in between, without saying how much that would be. No mention of a 12 month contract, either.
CoreyPlover wrote:As I said above, email billing@exetel.com.au to get this confusion sorted out and see what they say about it.
I will do that, thanks.
CoreyPlover wrote:If you want a Naked ADSL2+ service, this is provided via Optus based ADSL2+ infrastructure, not Powertel. So you cannot simply cancel your dial tone as Powertel don't offer Naked ADSL2+ services. If you want Naked ADSL2+ you will have to transfer from your current PTL plan to a NAK2 plan. You can do this but: 1. it may incur a break of contract fee depending on whihc circumstances of the above paragraph you fall into, 2. it will involve significant downtime (due to the manner in which Powertel services are configured) and 3. since it would be a new provider (Optus) this change will incur a new 12 month contract.
Bummer.
CoreyPlover wrote:In hindsight, yes, had you gone from Telstra ADSL1 -> Optus Naked ADSL2+ directly or even Telstra ADSL1 -> Optus ADSL2+ -> Optus Naked ADSL2+ thing would have been a lot smoother. Telstra ADSL1 -> Powertel ADSL2+ -> Optus Naked ADSL2+ is still possible, just messier.
With your (and Dazzle's) explanation I understand that, but obvious it is not...

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:53 pm

ronald wrote: Ok, here is what it said:
I agree to pay $0.00 to move to an ANYPHONE ADSL2+
service. I Agree to pay the early termination fee if I
disconnect or my actions cause my ADSL service to be
disconnected.
I agree that if I withdraw this application after Exetel accepts
it I will still be liable to pay the $0.00 activation fee.
And then there was this, right before the text above:
Current Service Number: 03xxxxxxxx
Current Plan Type: TELD
Initial Contract Start Date: 2006-09-19
Contract Period: 6 Months
Initial Contract End Date: 2007-03-19
Date You Request to Start Proceeding Of New ANYPHONE Service: 2009-01-01
No Early Cancellation Charge After 2007-03-19
New ADSL Plan: PTLA
Now, how do you read that?

dbr
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Sale VIC

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by dbr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:24 am

ronald wrote: No Early Cancellation Charge After 2007-03-19
New ADSL Plan: PTLA


Now, how do you read that?
I read that as you are able to terminate at any time. An email to Billing will confirm this.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 pm

My emails to billing so far only confirmed one thing: it is about as pointless to try and get information out of billing as it is with support.
My first email got a reply, but no answer to my question. Follow-up was not replied to.
Second attempt did not get a reply, either, so I just sent off the third one.
Fingers crossed, but not holding breath....

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by ronald » Sun May 10, 2009 1:34 am

Just to provide the latest update, and closure, on this one:
firstly, it seems I did indeed make a mistake and did not read the big print when initially changing to ADSL2+ (something along the lines of "YOU WILL ENTER INTO A NEW 12 MONTH CONTRACT - DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING"). Somehow missed that one...
Oh well, that wasn't too smart.

Anyway, shortly after my post I got email from someone at Exetel (not sure if it's ok to mention the name so I don't), answering my initial questions and eventually making me an offer I could not resist (for all the right reasons ;-)). Then he followed through on it to get me onto a naked ADSL2+ account, spending quite a bit of time on that. And then some. Impressive effort, in fact.

So I did make a mistake, and I paid for it, but not nearly as much as I would have without Exetel and this kind staff member (you know who you are) going out of their way to accommodate me. I'm not suggesting to anyone to count on that, but thought it only fair to mention here that I got excellent service and support, above and beyond what can reasonably be expected. Especially as everyone, including me, is quick to post if anything is not going according to expectations.
I am impressed and deeply appreciative.

Many thanks & three cheers to Exetel & you-know-who-you-are,

Ronald

dbr
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Sale VIC

Re: plan change procedure for going naked

Post by dbr » Sun May 10, 2009 9:15 am

Glad to hear it worked out.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Post Reply