PS3 Update

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bjc

Re: PS3 Update

Post by bjc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Dont bother calling there is a phone outage at exetel support, just use the online service to open a ticket

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Are you having the issue within the off peak time frame only, or is it present in the peak time frame as well?
What times?

bjc

Post by bjc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Just happened this morning so we are still on offpeak time.
Its only the PSN all other internet is fine

I have logged a ticket online for someone to check if the PSN profile is still active

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm

There is no "PSN profile".
There previously was issues (long ago) with network configuration issues and the usage of P2P shaping equipment.
That's not the case for those Queensland services - they go direct to the internet.

Any PSN issues would be related to either the remote network you are connecting to, or the links on that path.
Try it in peak time.

bjc

Post by bjc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:46 pm

There was a profile or whatever you want to call it as williamc was dealing with it (long ago!)
A fair few of us still thought that we are some sort of profile/setting.

Anyway as I said previously I have logged a ticket about the problem as it isn't just my service.
I also shouldn't have to wait until peak time to see if its fixed or not

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:52 pm

bjc wrote:I also shouldn't have to wait until peak time to see if its fixed or not
That logic works real well.
Claim an issue is present, but don't supply any troubleshooting data to assist in identifying the issue.

bjc

Post by bjc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:44 pm

JasonM wrote:
bjc wrote:I also shouldn't have to wait until peak time to see if its fixed or not
That logic works real well.
Claim an issue is present, but don't supply any troubleshooting data to assist in identifying the issue.
I did just write a big speal but deleted it as I couldn't be bothered
If your to lazy to read the posts then...

As I said before I shouldn't have to wait hours until peak time to see if i can play online that I PAY your company money for, should I?

And your Exetel staff, well done Spider!
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There is never any need to use foul language

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 pm

bjc wrote:As I said before I shouldn't have to wait hours until peak time to see if i can play online that I PAY your company money for, should I?
You should pay another company that money, and ask them to go play Playstation games in another state.

My point remains - you want the issue fixed, then you need to co-operate and supply necessary troubleshooting info, and where you refuse to do that, you are refusing to help yourself.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm

bjc,

It is a simple question: are you still suffering from these issues or does it seem confined to off-peak times? The reason Exetel wish to know is because it will help them diagnose the problem and rectify it.

Can you imagine what would happen if you went to a doctor and said "my arm hurts, what is the problem?" and then when asked "does it hurt when I press here?" you respond with foul language and claim that as you are paying for the consultation you shouldn't have to answer any questions?

KamaKAzii

Post by KamaKAzii » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi,

I might add that i am also having some strange issues with my PS3. I cant join other people's games but they can join things i create. im pretty sure its not a port fowarding thing as ive chucked my PS3's IP in DMZ and it still didnt work.

Anyone else having issues specificly like this?

somemadcaaant

Post by somemadcaaant » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:02 pm

KamaKAzii wrote:Hi,

I might add that i am also having some strange issues with my PS3. I cant join other people's games but they can join things i create. im pretty sure its not a port fowarding thing as ive chucked my PS3's IP in DMZ and it still didnt work.

Anyone else having issues specificly like this?
From what I can see these PS3 issues seem to be the usual user error issues, either modem/PS3 configuration, PS3/game patch or lack of knowledge, on the PS3 network (PSN) forums either OZ or UK. As with any service these days staff go out of their way to help their users no matter how disgruntled, which is what's happening here.

I think If you want proper trouble shooting on an account side of things, as in Exetel staff related then all relevant User side info should be given for eg:
-PS3 firmware version, Game and possible update version, note not all updates are mandatory but fix minor issues you may be experiencing.
-Trouble shooting steps done by user.
-Port forwarding info if done/changed.
-Number of users at premises.
-Security or firewall used with modem, DMZ, Gateway/Gatekeeper or additional Server security.
-Additional devices attached to the network, computers, routers, mobiles, media devices/Gateways, networkable TV’s.
-The list goes on…

As with the above issue, having a PS3 on a DMZ I would assume in a home situation which is very strange and prone to all sorts of security issues… I would also assume you have the central server you -Modem version/firmware version also if modified.
route your connections thru for the DMZ (subnet), equally forwarding ports to the main router/Gateway? Perhaps you could try disabling the DMZ, all firewall rules from all devices and check on PS3 connectivity. I would also assume you have more then one computer connected to make the a DMZ, disabling these computers would be of benefit.

Normal DMZ configurations are as follows:

Internet to Modem
Modem to Router
Router to DMZ Hub/Switch
DMZ Switch to WEB/FTP/Game Server
...and...
DMZ Switch to Firewall External NIC
Firewall Internal NIC to Internal Hub/Switch
Internal Hub/Switch to Internal Systems/Devices.

http://www.portforward.com is a site that may be able to help some of you, also has a utility these days to forward automatically for you.

Direct connect the PS3 to router which connects to the external IP router would be a first action in this situation.

I myself have a PS3, with probably every game that’s come out for it that’s decent to good and have never had an issue with games that hasn’t been attributed to the game itself. See my rants on the 1943 issues via PSN forums.

With a little knowledge you can over come any issue. :mrgreen:

SMC.

somemadcaaant

Post by somemadcaaant » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 pm

Wow this still stickied... Man I have some strange coffee that day, and I wasn't even working over time. :shock:

simonmarklar

Post by simonmarklar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:49 am

my ps3 disconects from the network after a few minutes, no matter what time of day.

it used to do this, but then i emailed someone from exetel as per a forum post i can no longer find, and they changed something that fixed the connection problems. I bought a new wireless n modem and now the problems are back again.

should i open a support ticket or is there some special setting i need to change in my modem (AFAIK its setup according to exetels settings)?

WilliamC

Post by WilliamC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:45 pm

You need to correctly configure the modem. The device that caused most of these problems is no longer in use.

farah9

Post by farah9 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi, I'm new to exetel, actually my line gets activated tomorrow. Just interested to know if people are still having problems with their PS3's staying connected to PSN. The other question is has anyone on here tried connecting through a proxy server program, I use a program called Privoxy, I used to have a very slow download speed from PSN and my connection(wireless) would always cut out. Someone on the PS3 forums reccomended trying the above and ever since my downloads have been heaps faster and the connection a lot more stable. The only negative is when there is a FW update for some reason it has to be set back to "don't use proxy server"