No line sync, can't get tech for another week?!

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
duncanm

No line sync, can't get tech for another week?!

Post by duncanm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm posting here through frustration.

Lodged ticket 1233107 last Thursday (26th March) about constant dropouts and line noise. A recurrent fault it would seem; I have had similar faults in the past.. all apparently 'resolved', but recurring every few months.

On Friday, I lost all Sync. Zip, nada. Line noise is intermittent, but absolutely no sync.

I have gone through the call-center multiple times, and the helpdesk thread continues on its merry open/close/open way.

It took four days to finally get a line test done.. all apparently ok. I'm told its my modem (which has worked fine for many years, thank you very much). I cave, we need wireless and ADSL2 anyway, so I fork out $100+ on a new modem. Same problem, no sync.

I finally got an exetel tech booked for Monday afternoon next week (that's now 11 days after initial ticket)

This afternoon, the missus gets a call saying that technicians aren't available for the time slot 1-5pm which was booked and confirmed (huh?).. next available slot is Thursday (now we're talking 2 weeks).

Trying to reason with the call centre is next to useless, as they follow the polite-customer rule book and can't be reasoned with (the missus called me, very frustrated after her 35min on-hold and 10-min talking-to-a-brick-wall call).

How do I get someone out to check the fault?

FWIW, my personal impression is that the port has become unplugged at the exchange.. I'm not sure anything as straightforward as that has actually been checked.. the only contact with the exchange has far as I can tell has been a remote port reset from the other side of the world.

duncan

JasonM

Re: No line sync, can't get tech for another week?!

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Line is testing normally, so the supplier needs a different technician, an interference technician to attend.

I tried to call you today about an appointment for 06/04, but was not successful - there was notes that you wanted the appointment rescheduled from 7.30am - 12.00pm on the 06/04 to 1.00pm to 5.00pm on the 06/04, however, our supplier only offers 12.00pm to 4.00pm.

A slot was not available for that day anyway, so the next available is the 09/04, 7.30am - 12.00pm, or 12.00pm - 4.00pm (they do fill quickly!).

The port at the exchange is not unplugged - connect a handset and you'll hear dial tone. DSL port is intact as they are from the SAME port. It's possible the DSL port is faulty, or you have some sort of local interference issue. The supplier chose interference as the next course of investigation.

Which slot do you want 09/04 7.30am - 12pm, or 09/04, 12pm to 4pm (1 slot left)? Nothing's booked in at the moment for your service.

James D

Post by James D » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:43 am

Unfortunately with the weather around Australia over the last 2 months, the supplier resources are a little stretched, and you see this after every major event (floods etc). Some times if there is a lot of work in one area and limited techs it can take time to get them to look over the faults.

But if you reply to jason he will be able to help you out.

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:34 am

Jason,

I have confirmed the 1-5pm slot for 6/4 vie the help line, thanks.

duncan

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 am

I mentioned on Friday:
"A slot is not available for that day anyway" - the 06/04 was filled already on Friday.

There is no appointment scheduled for today. Would you like Thursday morning, if there is still a slot available?

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 am

JasonM wrote:I mentioned on Friday:
"A slot is not available for that day anyway" - the 06/04 was filled already on Friday.

There is no appointment scheduled for today. Would you like Thursday morning, if there is still a slot available?
There is a serious disconnect somewhere.. and its not just on my ADSL.

I spoke to the help line this morning (offshore call center?) and confirmed a slot for this afternoon.

I have two messages on my answering machine from the weekend:
#1 - "no slot on Monday 1-5, there isn't a 1-5pm slot. We can do 12-4:3pm on Thursday"
#2 - "please confirm the booking for 1-5pm Monday"

I took option 2.. some unification of support services may help.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:52 am

That could be our Sri Lanka call centre.

They obviously got it wrong, as when I checked our supplier system at the time I responded earlier today, there was none confirmed for today.
Rather than focus on the error, let's focus on restoring the service. When can I advise our supplier to book the appointment in?

This is probably a matter best dealt with via ticket, do you have a email ticket already opened? If not, you can PM me and we can sort the details there.

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 am

ticket is 1233107

I suggest you call our contact number this afternoon to organise a time, as my spouse will be there (and will be the one making herself available during the week).

I will prepare her for the no-technician/phonecall-for-new-time scenario, but don't be surprised if she's a little irate about the whole situation.

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

well.. I'll be waiting till the 15th it would seem.

Can I make a general suggestion that exetel do some work on unifying their fault handling systems?

There seems to be this forum, the call center, the helpdesk website.. and not much communication going on between them. The number of interfaces is good, but it would be nice to keep all info tracked on the helpdesk (for instance) for reference.

duncan

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Duncan

The best way to keep all info tracked on your ticket is to use the ticket alone for following up. With the best will and processes in the world, mismatches can occur when matters are chased up via different means with different people.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:21 pm

I can use the ticket system exclusively.. but that doesn't always appear to happen from your end, either.

It may be better to have your call centre log all contact/work on the ticket system (which I think they generally do), and similarly for your local people.

Just a suggestion...

duncan

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Duncan

Just to clarify - my comments are made as a fellow customer - I'm not an Exetel employee.

I do agree that cross-referencing all contact on the open ticket would be the best approach - I guess this can fall down when people don't open a ticket or don't quote it when they make contact through other means (eg Live Support or this Forum). I'm not saying that you did this, it's a general comment from my experience over some years as an admin of this Forum :)

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:41 am

Ok, so here we are a week later... three weeks after the initial fault was lodged.

The tech came in yesterday morning, poked around the phone sockets and tested one or two with his gizmo (I don't know what was done, I wasn't home at the time).

At the end of testing, the conclusion was that 'this has to be fixed at the exchange, Exetel will contact you'.

I haven't heard any more from Exetel.. can someone chase this up and give me an update?

Ticket 1233107.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:50 am

I updated your case just moments ago - the tech ran some tests, and they believe they've found a fault on the copper wire.
The tech will forward his graphs to Optus, and they will use these to get a tech visit from Telstra. You will be contacted to confirm another appointment time once this is known.

duncanm

Post by duncanm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Jason,

thanks for the quick update.

Who 'owned' the tech that came in yesterday.. was it Exetel, Optus or Telstra?

I'm having trouble keeping track of who is checking what on the system.