ADSL2 speed is slow and not registered as adsl2!?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
hsvboy11

ADSL2 speed is slow and not registered as adsl2!?

Post by hsvboy11 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:19 pm

hi guys, hoping someone here can help me.

transfered my adsl2 connection to my new house about 6 months ago now and am still expecting below average internet speeds for adsl2. at my previous address which is on one side of town we were achieving speeds of around 13,000kbps. my our current address we moved to we are achieving speeds of around 5,000kbps, and we havnt seen a download exceed about 100kbps....

at our previous address we had a similar problem until a kind man from telstra came and looked at our line - after that, our speeds increased!

my house mate was looking at our modem settings and noticed that the modulation type was ADSL_G and not even ADSL2. When he changed it to ADSL2 Modulation only it wouldn't connect. He then had to change back to ADSL Modulation. He also noticed the speed is only 5920/384kbps. Which isn't running anywhere near what ADSL2 speeds should be.

modem is an iconnect 625w.

i dont know what the problem is, but basically my house mate's work sell a different ISP to clients and says if nothings done we will be changing so we dont have any problems.

i would just like to know whats going on. last time we had speed issues they were looked into a resolved, here we havnt had anyone look at our lines or anything.

im just fed up with being told that the ISP is at fault so now here i am to get some answers.

thanks guys for your time,

and here are a couple screenshots...
Attachments
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
Screenshot[1].jpg
Screenshot[1].jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

hsvboy11

Re: ADSL2 speed is slow and not registered as adsl2!?

Post by hsvboy11 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:22 pm

it should also be noted that my current address and previous address are both the same distance from the exchange - only if different directions. according to other websites, the distance we are from our exchange we should be acheiving speeds of at least 7,500kbps, which we arent. and also the area i live in is densely populated and a new area (20yrs) so that cant possibly we the reason.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:47 pm

7500 would be pushing it - 7000 perhaps, but have a peek at your DS noise margin - does it drop out?. G.dmt is ADSL1 modulation, as you know. Is that an IPrimus model? Perhaps a screenshot of its config would help as well.
Last edited by Dazzled on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:48 pm

and 3 speed uplaods in order :)
Attachments
test3.jpg
test3.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
test.jpg
test.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Dazzled wrote: Is that an IPrimus model? Perhaps a screenshot of its config would help as well.
how do i know if its an iprumus model?

and also, if i have adsl2 why would it be set to adsl11 and have it not even work on adsl2!? sounds like im getting jipped somewhere here...

Dazzled wrote:7500 would be pushing it - 7000 perhaps, but have a peek at your DS noise margin - does it drop out?. G.dmt is ADSL1 modulation, as you know.
edit: internet hasnt dropped out since when we first connected here, so about 4 months ago was the last drop out.

here is a shot of what speeds i should be reaching straight from http://www.adsl2exchanges.com

Last edited by hsvboy11 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:01 pm

I only asked because although I have a decent collection of manuals, I don't have that one, or a how-to for it. I understand IPrimus were involved with them.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:20 pm

The danger of using the graph from adsl2exchanges is that it shows the theoretical maximum ADSL/ADSL2+ speed by attenuation. If you have a look at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=DSLAM_speeds then at, say, 40dB attenuation you can see sync speeds varying between 9.1Mbps and 4.3Mbps.

The simplest explanation is that even though the distance estimation is equivalent between your new and old house, the cable could be poorer quality, or it might run in a different path than the website estimator, or it could be spliced more, or it could have more services connected to it; all these things add to the attenuation reading and therefore reduce speeds even though distance estimates are the same.

You may wish to lodge a ticket (via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au) stating how the ADSL2+ modulation does not sustain a connection and see what they say. It is possible for them to put a stability profile to hopefully allow it to sync at ADSL2+ modulation and even if this doesn't end up helping your downstream speeds, it will probably help your upstream.

I would also include those 3 speed tests because they are very much borderline on the threshold of minimum ADSL2+ speed, and below the throughput you would expect, even with your lower than expected sync speed.

bruceee

Post by bruceee » Fri May 01, 2009 8:38 am

Your modem status page shows that you are most likely set on an 8meg ADSL1 profile at the exchange, if you are paying for ADSL2 then ask Exetel to have your service placed on the correct profile.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 01, 2009 9:08 am

bruceee wrote:Your modem status page shows that you are most likely set on an 8meg ADSL1 profile at the exchange
Not necessarily. It could be that the service is an ADSL2+ service but the modem cannot successfully negotiate at ADSL2+ modulation because of signal noise (ADSL2+ operates at a higher frequency to ADSL1 meaning, generally, faster speeds but higher sensitivity to background noise) so the modem drops back to ADSL1 in order to gain a connection. But, yes, you should log a fault and ask Exetel to examine your line to determine the cause

ymo

Post by ymo » Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
bruceee wrote:Your modem status page shows that you are most likely set on an 8meg ADSL1 profile at the exchange
Not necessarily.
Given the exactly 384kb/s upstream sync speed, an 8M/384k ADSL1 profile is highly likely. Even on a poor line, an ADSL2+ profile will likely give a higher upstream speed than that (even if the modem falls back to ADSL1).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Oh. I think I realise now. I've gotten this wrong before too.

I thought that if the modem decided to fallback to G.DMT, then it would negotiate a 8Mbps/384kbps connection regardless of service. But G.DMT specification is actually 8Mbps/1Mbps. So, yes, the 384kbps upstream suggests an incorrect profile or some sort of stability profile in place on the line

bruceee

Post by bruceee » Fri May 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Thank you Corey, I might only be 60+, but I certainly have been on broadband long enough to know the difference between ADSL1 & 2 upload speeds.
Regards B keep up the good work

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:29 pm

hey guys thanks very much for the help, hopefully i can acheive some higher speeds!!! logged a fault early this morning before work, so we will see what happens.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm

- Line test is normal.
- 8Mbps profile is correct, increased to 12Mbps profile, however SNR margin is low. Service is 2899m from exchange.
- Slow speed tests seem to be related to the link between the supplier and our network (Victoria ADSL2+)

If the 12Mbps profile causes drop outs, we can drop it back to 8Mbps for stability.

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:53 pm

cheers, we will see how it goes :)