ADSL2 speed is slow and not registered as adsl2!?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
hsvboy11

Re: ADSL2 speed is slow and not registered as adsl2!?

Post by hsvboy11 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm

done some more testing.. tried another line between modem and point, made no difference. tried 2 other phone points in the house as well and have got similar speeds on them. connected to network wirelessly with 100% signal strength. have tried other computers and getting the same results. modem works fine at other locations so that rules out the problem.

we have 4 computers and 1 web server on our network - so with these speeds its not so great when we are all using the internet!!!

have also forwarded this to the ticket response.
Attachments
downloads.jpg
downloads.jpg (167.49 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 pm

ok so the reply i got was "exetel's supplier does not beleive you have slow speeds". so, who is exetels supplier?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 pm

hsvboy11 wrote:"exetel's supplier does not beleive you have slow speeds
It doesn't say that at all. The email sent to you was:

Code: Select all

The speed tests do not suggest there is a slow speed issue with our supplier's network.
That's because your speed tests show results of 5Mbps, which suggests the reduction in speed is related to your use of wireless (all too common).

As suggested:

Code: Select all

You may improve throughput speeds by using cable between the computer and modem, and not wireless.

(Please rule out wireless interference by using a cable between the computer and modem).

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 pm

plugged a cable in from a house mates laptop straight into the modem and got exactly the same speeds of around the 5,000 mark. also connected the modem up to another phone socket in the wall and connected the laptop to the modem via a cable and also got the same speed. this rules out any hardware, and also any fault at my wall point as i have now tried 3 of them.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am

As you are located in Victoria, the link between our supplier's network and our network is currently due to receive an upgrade.
There's no known ETA on this upgrade at this time.

leithant

Post by leithant » Thu May 07, 2009 4:10 pm

I have the same modem and I can connect on ADSL and ADSL2+, however ADSL2+ is much slower unfortunately, which meant I wasted my money getting a newer modem. :cry:

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:41 pm

ahh ok, they are a great modem we have had no problems with them! since you got a decent modem, at least when theres an upgrade or when you can experience faster speeds you'll be right and wont need a new one again :D

as for the netwrok upgrade, that sounds great, looks like we will sit patiantly and wait :D

leithant

Post by leithant » Thu May 07, 2009 7:54 pm

I thought the poor sync speeds may have been the fault of the Open modem, but I just tried a new Billion from a friend and it's ADSL2 was no better...

hsvboy11

Post by hsvboy11 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:17 am

yeah we've used our modem at another location and we were getting more than double the speeds there. its definately the location i reckon..

stock99

Post by stock99 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 am

i have exactly the same issue too. I live in Dandenong North Victoria.