Connect to Exetel ADSL2+ from Internode ADSL1

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
nucari

Connect to Exetel ADSL2+ from Internode ADSL1

Post by nucari » Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi,

I am currently connected to Internode with ADSL1 512kbps/128kbps and a telstra phone line on the Blakehurst Exchange. I would like to move to Exetel ADSL2+. In my exchange only the PLT Powertel plans appear to be available where I continue rental of my telstra phone line.

It appears from the Exetel signup form that I need to cancel my ADSL service before applying and then wait approximately 7 to 10 days to get connected to Exetel ADSL2+. So this will mean that I would be without the internet for this time. Is there anyway I can get connected in a shorter time as I would prefer to not be disconnected for this long time? And is there anyway to find out if there are enough ports available in my exchange now before I try to connect with Exetel because I would hate to disconnect with Internode and then find out that for this (or another) reason I am unable to connect to Exetel?

Also if I have to be disconnected for this long time would it be possible to churn to Exetel ADSL1 and then transfer to EXETEL ADSL2+ with minimal downtime? I understand this would mean that I would have to either pay the $100 fee if transfering now or wait 6 months and transfer for nothing.

I thought I would ask here before I try ringing customer service.

Thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Connect to Exetel ADSL2+ from Internode ADSL1

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 01, 2009 9:30 pm

nucari wrote:Is there anyway I can get connected in a shorter time as I would prefer to not be disconnected for this long time? And is there anyway to find out if there are enough ports available in my exchange now before I try to connect with Exetel because I would hate to disconnect with Internode and then find out that for this (or another) reason I am unable to connect to Exetel?
Exetel can provide a loan HSPA device to keep you connected during the cutover period.

But, being ADSL1 and a Telstra line, I don't think there will be any downtime. I thought that only SSS provided ADSL2+ services (i.e. An Internode ADSL2+ with Telstra line) is subject to the requirement of disconnecting the service and reconnecting fresh.

I suggest you email residentialsales@exetel.com.au to enquire as to your options

nucari

Post by nucari » Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 pm

After a few emails back and forth I have just found out from sales that I will have to disconnect from Internode ADSL1 first before connecting to Exetel ADSL2+. I too thought that it should be fine because I am on a Telstra line. But sales assure me that my application will be rejected if I try to sign up when still connected to Internode.

I think it's dissapointing that my internet connection will be down for the 7 to 10 days while I wait. And I would hate to find out that for some reason (eg. no spare ports, line issue) that i can't get ADSL2+ at my house. And then I'd be stuck with having to sign up to another ADSL1 plan with someone (currently I'm not on any fixed plan).

Sales also told me that they do not provide the free HSPA service for people waiting to be connected anymore.

I might just try and sign up with Exetel ADSL2+ without disconnecting from Internode. There's noting to loose and the worst that could happen is that my applicatiion is rejected.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 pm

You can try http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_no_phone.pl (or even http://adsl2exchanges.com.au) before cancelling and signing up to check for port availability.

The process for INCDSL transfers at https://www.exetel.com.au/optus_adsl2_m ... e_form.php indicates that you first apply with the ADSL active, you then get a confirmation that ports are available and that the application will re-commence and proceed when the ADSL codes are removed. The process for Powertel activations is not explained in as much detail on Exetel's website, but Internode are not a SSS transfer participant, so there will definitely be downtime.

I have asked for a confirmation on whether the HSPA loan modem is still available, because Q3 of http://www.exetel.com.au/a_adsl2_phone_faq.php still suggests it is (at least for INC2DSL customers. Again, further information for PTL customers is not available on the website).

nucari

Post by nucari » Wed May 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm at a loss to understand why I have to disconnect from Internode first before signingup to Exetel and waiting 7 to 10 days to be connected. If I was to churn across to an Exetel ADSL1 plan then there would be minimal downtime. And then I could go from there to an ADSL2+ connection again with minimal downtime. So what's the difference with going straight to an ADSL2+ connection? Both are on Telstra equipment.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 06, 2009 3:03 pm

nucari wrote:I'm at a loss to understand why I have to disconnect from Internode first before signingup to Exetel and waiting 7 to 10 days to be connected. If I was to churn across to an Exetel ADSL1 plan then there would be minimal downtime. And then I could go from there to an ADSL2+ connection again with minimal downtime. So what's the difference with going straight to an ADSL2+ connection? Both are on Telstra equipment.
I don't think you could even go from Internode ADSL1 to Exetel ADSL1 without downtime since Internode don't participate in either DSL transfer (used for ADSL1->ADSL2+), or DSL/SSS transfer (used for ADSL1->ADSL2+ or ADSL2+->ADSL1). See http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r15958484 and http://www.telstrawholesale.com/product ... ansfer.xls.

From the Excel file:
Transfers of DSL services between Telstra's DSL network and other networks can only be performed using the disconnection/reconnection process or between service providers who participate in the DSL/SSS Transfer Process.
...and Internode is not there

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed May 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Agile is, Agile Pty Ltd P P

Agile is Internode's company (for some reason), but you don't need to cancel for an ADSL1 Internode service to ADSL2+, just complete the application and we'll transfer it over. You can then cancel Internode's services after you are activated with us.

So the staff who advised you can be better advised, can you advise your ticket number?

nucari

Post by nucari » Wed May 06, 2009 4:07 pm

That's strange that Internode is not there. My previous provider was Optus and I was on an ADSL1 plan with them and then I churned across to Internode from them with mimimal downtime.

And just to confirm, i just checked the Broadband Choice section on Whirlpool and it indicates that Internode supports rapid transfers (ADSL1)and single service transfers (ADSL2+). So I think that Telstra list is out of date. Incidently the Exetel page on the Broadband Choice section also lists Exetel as supporting rapid transfers (ADSL1) and single service transfers (ADSL2+ PTL plans). Maybe these pages are wrong, I don't know (I do know that sometimes they can be out of date).

Maybe the process of going from a ADSL1 to ADSL2 is different. But I thought it should be the same when doing this when going from one provider to another as it would be when doing this at the same provider.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed May 06, 2009 4:19 pm

It is OK to transfer. You shouldn't need to cancel the Internode service until after the service is activated with us.

As posted above, can you supply the ticket number?

nucari

Post by nucari » Wed May 06, 2009 4:28 pm

JasonM wrote:but you don't need to cancel for an ADSL1 Internode service to ADSL2+, just complete the application and we'll transfer it over. You can then cancel Internode's services after you are activated with us.
Thanks Jason for that helpful information. That's great news.

I contacted the sales department yesterday via email and after initially being told that I could not even get ADSL2+ (the staff member must have just checked the bundled OPTUS plans and not the Powertel plans), I explained to them that your website indicated that I could get a Powertel plan and then I asked about the connection process. I asked this questions in more than one email that I sent and got the same response from more than one person. I will send you a pm with the email details.

if it wasn't for your great (cheap) plans I wouldn't have been persistant and would be looking at other providers.

Thanks again.