ADSL2 + phone plan relocation

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
gaomenglei

ADSL2 + phone plan relocation

Post by gaomenglei » Mon May 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi there,

I am moving house this weekend from Mt Lawley WA to Midland WA, So do I have to keep same phone number if I want to relocate my service?

Many thanks,

JasonM

Re: ADSL2 + phone plan relocation

Post by JasonM » Mon May 18, 2009 3:47 pm

It's not a 'relocation' but a disconnection and a new connection.
If you wish to keep the same phone number, you typically port that number back to Telstra and relocate with the Telstra network, after which the ADSL2+ service can be activated at the new address.

gaomenglei

Post by gaomenglei » Mon May 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Yes I see. Actually I do not mind if I got a new number but I am just wondering which way will be quicker for you to activate the service at my new address? Or does it have to be the same number if I want to move my ADSL service to a new address?

My situation is: There is already an activated phone line there in my new address So what I need to do is call telstra to connect it for me and then apply the " Move ADSL To New Address" service on the member facilities, right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Yes, doing this preserves your account information to the new service.

gaomenglei

Post by gaomenglei » Mon May 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Actually I do not mind if I got a new number but I am just wondering which way will be quicker for you to activate the service at my new address? Or does it have to be the same number if I want to move my ADSL service to a new address?
Could you please answer the above question if you got the answer and how much does it cost if I apply of the "Move ADSL to new address" service and how long does it take normally?

Much appreciated

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon May 18, 2009 4:27 pm

- Confirm the service is available to your new address.
- Relocate / Connect a new landline service on the Telstra network.
- Confirm it is operational, and works in and out.
- Apply to relocate the service using members facilities.

The charge for the connection at the new address is $40 at present (with a new 12 month contract).

gaomenglei

Post by gaomenglei » Mon May 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer, mate.

I appreciate your time on it. May I have another question?

Is it the same price ($40) to apply the relocation service if I have a different number at my new address?

Cheers

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon May 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Yes, just be sure to check the line works in and out after you relocate, and then complete the form.

gaomenglei

Post by gaomenglei » Mon May 18, 2009 6:57 pm

But on the form it says I need to pay the $100 cancellation fee? So how much on earth should I pay if I move to a new address and with the same plan?

$40 or $140 in total ????

Cheers

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon May 18, 2009 7:20 pm

It's not a relocation to our supplier, it's a disconnection and a new connection.

If you are still within your initial contract term, the $100 early termination fee will also apply, and as noted on the page, only current plans are available.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Allow me to try and sum things up:
  • Ignore the word "relocation". It probably gives the wrong connotations. What actually happens is that your new service gets provisioned, your email accounts get migrated across to the new service and the old service gets cancelled - all in one go.
  • What the above statement means is that if you are still within your contract period on your old (existing) service, a $100 early termination fee will be charged
  • With regards to the service at the new location, it doesn't matter whether the number is the same or different. The same process applies, and it costs $40 activation. And it is much easier to go the route of a different phone number because this will minimise your involvement with Telstra (just get them to activate a dial tone at the new premises on a new phone number)
  • The service at the new location can only be a current plan so you may end up on a slightly different plan to what you currently have. But you can pick whichever is best for you.
Hope this helps

gaomenglei

Post by gaomenglei » Wed May 20, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Coreyplover,

Thanks for your summary. It is helpful.
I've already asked Telstra to activate the land line for me with a new number which would be done by today. and when could it be done if the phone works fine and I apply the "Move ADSL to new address" service under member facilities?

Regards,

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 am

Typically it takes 10 - 14 days to activate the service at the new address. I'd estimate 02/06/2009.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 am

gaomenglei wrote:I've already asked Telstra to activate the land line for me with a new number which would be done by today. and when could it be done if the phone works fine and I apply the "Move ADSL to new address" service under member facilities?
Not sure I completely understand how you've phrased your question, but if it helps: once you have a dial tone and can ring your new phone service from a mobile phone or external connection, then wait 2 days (for Telstra to update their database) and then apply for the "Move ADSL to new address" under the member facilities. You will retain your old ADSL service until cutover to the new location, the exact date of which will be provided and either emailed to you, or shown in your Member Facilities but usually takes about 2 weeks

Lonx

Post by Lonx » Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm

JasonM wrote:It's not a relocation to our supplier, it's a disconnection and a new connection.
If you are still within your initial contract term, the $100 early termination fee will also apply, and as noted on the page, only current plans are available.
I'm in a similar situation at the moment, basically moving house & need to disconnect/reconnect and within my contract period. I am not disputing the paying of fees, but don't really understand the reason why a disconnection fee of $100 is applied if the customer is going to recontract for a further 12 months on a plan of equal or greater expense? I completely agree it would make sense to charge some sort of disconnect fee if a customer moved & then downgraded the plan from their initial offering, but if currently contracted on a $70 plan and you move house, pay new connect fee and sign up for 12 months more at $70 or even $80 - what is the need for the disconnect fee?

I realise (as mentioned in previous posts) the supplier will only see this as one disconnection, and one reconnection, but is the admin fee really necessary to be so high on disconnection if a customer remains loyal & doesn't downgrade their service?