PSTN to VoIP porting additional numbers

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
darylp

PSTN to VoIP porting additional numbers

Post by darylp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:11 pm

I have a client with 2 numbers they wish to port to VoIP when ordering a Naked ADSL2+ service.
02-9482-5353 Voice
02-9482-5354 Fax

1)
Can a naked ADSL2+ service be ordered on 02-9482-5353 & the additional 5354 number be ported too?

2)
Does Exetel VoIP support fax?

JasonM

Re: PSTN to VoIP porting additional numbers

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:28 pm

darylp wrote:1)
Can a naked ADSL2+ service be ordered on 02-x-5353 & the additional 5354 number be ported too?
We don't port any additional numbers at the moment, I'm not sure there are plans to offer other numbers.

Depending on the configuration of the lines, this could stop ADSL2+ being provisioned (unless the fax line is 100% seperate line).
darylp wrote:Does Exetel VoIP support fax?
VoIP turns audio into IP packets and transmits over the internet and groups them together at the other end, Fax via VoIP isn't going to perform the best as the tones aren't intended to be broken up into packets like VoIP does.
It 'can' work, but I don't think it'll be as reliable.

Exetel offers email to fax, which will send an email as a fax.

darylp

Post by darylp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:44 pm

JasonM wrote:Exetel offers email to fax, which will send an email as a fax.
Thanks Jason, but I'm really more interested in *receiving* faxes.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:59 pm

darylp wrote:
JasonM wrote:Exetel offers email to fax, which will send an email as a fax.
Thanks Jason, but I'm really more interested in *receiving* faxes.
Fax to email is available as well.

darylp

Post by darylp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks Jason,
That's sounding good, but what simple solutions can I use to fax from a fax machine?

Email it the way to go, but scanning to PC/email is complicated with all the machines I've played with.
I've yet to see a solution on a $400 or so multifunction device that replicates the simplicity of a fax machine.
Suggestions please.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 pm

darylp wrote:Suggestions please.
For FOIP, I dunno.

But for multifunction devices, they are ultra simple to use nowadays and extremely well priced. I used to have a Brother MFC-620CN which was an inkjet multifunction that was WIA / TWAIN compliant for network scanning. I now have a Samsung CLX-3170FN which is a full colour laser multifunction (and so just on the cusp of your $400 price range) and is even better. Not WIA compliant but on the printer console allows scanning direct to PDF to your My Documents directory on your computer.

In fact, multifunction devices now have direct "Scan to Email" capabilities, so with the exetel SMTP mail server and an address book you can actually achieve a Fax via email setup that is independent of FOIP

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:08 am

Receiving faxes to email cost $1 per month for unlimited fax receives, and you have a dedicated number (which can't be ported from your existing fax number).

Sending fax via VoIP can work if your fax machine is T.38 compatible but it is best to check first (ie test it, don't rely on specs).

If their existing numbers are on the same line (eg "Fax Duet") they will not be able to get any ADSL2.

I would suggest:

1. test their fax machine on an Exetel VoIP service (yours maybe?)

if it works:

2. order naked ADSL2 and port the voice number to VoIP
3. receive faxes on a new fax number via exetel's $1 per month fax2email service
4. send faxes either via fax machine (via voip) OR via exetel's email2fax service (same price - 10c per fax, except you won't get the free fax allocation on residential ADSL services, but the 100 free voip calls will still apply whether it is a fax or a voice call).

if it doesn't work:

2. order standard ADSL2 and use voip to make and receive calls
3. receive faxes on a new fax number via exetel's $1 per month fax2email service
4. send faxes either via fax machine (via ADSL2 PSTN) OR via exetel's email2fax service (same price - 10c per fax, except you won't get the free fax allocation on residential ADSL services, but the 100 free voip calls will still apply whether it is a fax or a voice call). This will reduce the cost of line rental as you'll pay a lower line rental on ADSL2 and will only pay it once, whilst still having 2 numbers. NOTE PSTN to VoIP porting is not available for this option.

Personally I have no problems sending and receiving faxes via exetel's email2fax and fax2email service - I scan to pdf at 150pi before I send a fax, and my scanning software will scan multiple pages into a multi-page pdf file (so only 1 faxes is send for a 5 page fax for example). However I have a friend/customer who uses a standard fax machine to send and receive faxes via voip on a naked exetel ADSL2 connection (it is not exetel voip tho as she wanted to keep her voip number when she switched to exetel naked adsl2). So test it first and then decide based on results. Maybe they can live with a fax number change?

Remember that if they're using fax-duet etc (ie only paying ONE line rental plus a small extra fee for the 2nd number) they can ONLY have ADSL1 anyway unless they lose one of the numbers (which is replaced by either VoIP or fax2email).