Ballina Area ADSL2

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
exeusersh

Ballina Area ADSL2

Post by exeusersh » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:48 am

Hi all

According to:
http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewex ... hange=BLNA
a few providers are supplying ADSL2 connections.
Any idea if and when Exetel will support ADSL2 in Ballina and environs?

Also: I am about 6 km north of Ballina. Could I expect "reasonable" ADLS2 speeds
at that distance?

thanks
rick

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Ballina Area ADSL2

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:21 pm

This has come up a bit lately. Telstra must have some salesmen about. There is only Telstra ADSL2 at your place and you will need a Powerball win to even consider it. The few retailers of the Telstra offering (eg Internode) are also very expensive. Exetel uses Optus and Powertel equipment, and neither company gives prior notice of when they propose to install their gear. Ballina is well below the kind of place they give priority to. Have a look at what's in Grafton or Armidale for example.

6 km as the crow flies is probably up to 8 km as the cable runs, so you are a bit out of range for ADSL2.

exeusersh

Post by exeusersh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Dazzled wrote:6 km as the crow flies is probably up to 8 km as the cable runs, so you are a bit out of range for ADSL2.
I'm on 1.5 Mbps ADSL1. Given that distance, what are the chances of getting more speed by switching over to 8 Mbps on ADSL1?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 pm

exeusersh wrote:I'm on 1.5 Mbps ADSL1. Given that distance, what are the chances of getting more speed by switching over to 8 Mbps on ADSL1?
Find your current ADSL1 statistics in your modem's web interface. In particular, the line attenuation and noise /SNR margin. The capability of higher speed will depend on how low the attenuation is and how high the noise margin is, so post them and we can reply with some further comments.

exeusersh

Post by exeusersh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:21 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Find your current ADSL1 statistics in your modem's web interface. In particular, the line attenuation and noise /SNR margin. The capability of higher speed will depend on how low the attenuation is and how high the noise margin is, so post them and we can reply with some further comments.
Urgh ... I'm using an old Netgear DG814 mode. It does not provide those stats.

I see here: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15
that my newer Netcomm NB5Plus4 ADSL2 modem should be backwards compatible with ADSL1.
I'll give that a try and get some stats.

cheers
rick

exeusersh

Post by exeusersh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:40 am

exeusersh wrote:my newer Netcomm NB5Plus4 ADSL2 modem should be backwards compatible with ADSL1.
I'll give that a try and get some stats.
I have connected the Netcomm NB5Plus4 modem. It seems to synch, but not connect to ADSL1.

What modulation type, VPI and VCI should I setup to get this modem to connect to ADSL1?

EDIT: Answer: ADSL_G.dmt

exeusersh

Post by exeusersh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:11 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Find your current ADSL1 statistics in your modem's web interface. In particular, the line attenuation and noise /SNR margin. The capability of higher speed will depend on how low the attenuation is and how high the noise margin is, so post them and we can reply with some further comments.
Here are the stats from the Netcomm modem successfully connected to ADSL1:

Code: Select all

Connection Status 	  	Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 	  	256
Ds Rate (Kbps) 	  	1536
US Margin 	  	6
DS Margin 	  	30
Trained Modulation 	  	ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors 	  	0
DS Line Attenuation 	  	7
US Line Attenuation 	  	7
Peak Cell Rate 	  	603 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 	  	0
CRC Tx Fast 	  	1
CRC Rx Interleaved 	  	0
CRC Tx Interleaved 	  	0
Path Mode 	  	Fast Path
DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count 	  	0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 	  	0

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 am

The modem can find G.DMT automatically if so set. VPI=8, VCI=35, PPPoE, Auto DNS. Don't forget to press Apply.

exeusersh

Post by exeusersh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:30 am

Dazzled wrote:The modem can find G.DMT automatically if so set.
Thanks. ADLS1 is working fine using the ADLS2 modem.

Now, can anyone comment on the connection stats I posted above?
i.e. is my connection good enough to try for 8 Mbps down?
Or should I sit on the 1.5 Mbps?

cheers
rick

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:08 am

exeusersh wrote:i.e. is my connection good enough to try for 8 Mbps down?
I think so.

The idea is that of total line signal, some is dedicated to data throughput, some to noise margin. The higher the first the faster the connection, the higher the second the more stable the connection. Yours is showing a 1.5Mbps data throughput with 30dB noise margin. Normal ADSL1 connections typically need only 6-9dB of noise margin, therefore you have 20dB of margin to spare which would equate to at least 6-7Mbps of extra speed.

The other indicator is the attenuation itself. Your is showing only 7dB, which is very low, meaning that you are actually quite close to your exchange and both ADSL1 and ADSL2+ speeds should be very good if you choose to upgrade.

You can also use http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_with_phone.pl, http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/naked_adsl2.pl or http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_no_phone.pl to check ADSL2+ availability and speed estimates for your phone number

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

CMUX?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 pm

Dazzled wrote:CMUX?
Quite possibly. If so, exeusersh, 8Mbps ADSL1 would still be feasible and likely to show a speed improvement, but the availability checker for ADSL2+ would show ADSL2+ as unavailable.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

For exeusersh, if you want to look around the neighbourhood - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... d_CMUX.jpg