daily download quota wrong on Current Month's Usage

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
sevusal

Re: daily download quota wrong on Current Month's Usage

Post by sevusal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm

ok . so i have logged a call and it has been more then 3 days and i havent even received an acknoledgement.
i have changed my automatic download start time from 2am and 3am and it seems to have solved the unual usage in my peak data usage meter.
this clearly shows that Exetel was couting my off peak usage from 2am-3am as peak usage.
the frustrating thing is that they dont seem to care about this at all.
i dont know where to go from here if they dont respond to my question on helpdesk!!!!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Do you have a ticket number for the logged ticket. If so, can you post it here?

Anth34

Post by Anth34 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:24 pm

There is still a problem, I am being added of over 30% extra on every download. This has been going on for a while now.
I use netlimiter 2 pro to monitor and I am not getting the huge amounts of extra as shown on the exetel download meter.
On my end, all downloads sizes match with netlimiter 2 pro.
Problem is on the exetel download meter, extra is added on.
I did receive a email a while back from exetel that said:- We've checked your usage with our developers that have manually checked and re-calculated everything, they are unable to find any issues with your current usage.
Can exetel fix this problem once and for all? I am being added too much more on top of what I am downloading not to ignore it any longer! I like to have this fixed as opening a ticket just doesn't seem to have solved the problem.
Please help

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 pm

If you want a check that is independent of Windows, reset the counter in your modem/router and keep your eye on the traffic that passes the router. Most routers otherwise measure over the uptime from the last boot. The combined file size downloaded is not the same as the sum of data packets.

If you have one of the few modems that doesn't report traffic, for another independent check, boot a live mini-Linux CD and download something large with that. ifconfig in the terminal (and possibly a network GUI, depending on distro) will tell you the network traffic while the system was up, to compare with the download size.

Anth34

Post by Anth34 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:10 pm

how do you reset the counter in the netcomm nb5 plus 4?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Status->Network Statistics. Ethernet or DSL view available. Resets on reboot. Updates on button press.

Anth34

Post by Anth34 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:42 pm

thanks for your reply. So it should reset all below when I switch off and turn on the modem?
What would be looking at and comparing?
Transmit

Good Tx Frames 2468776
Good Tx Broadcast Frames 33
Good Tx Multicast Frames 0
Tx Total Bytes 2977528492
Collisions 0
Error Frames 0
Carrier Sense Errors 0
Receive

Good Rx Frames 2013974
Good Rx Broadcast Frames 1056
Good Rx Multicast Frames 1245
Rx Total Bytes 240012271
CRC Errors 0
Undersized Frames 0
Overruns 23

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Bytes. Transmit and receive are relative, the larger is what comes into your place, the other is what goes out. You can select the view from either side of the modem.

Anth34

Post by Anth34 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:56 pm

how accurate is the modem Tx Total Bytes, compared to the Exetel Current Month's Usage, would both match the same?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Exetel has a very expensive router measuring what it sends your way, which is highly unlikely to be wrong for one IP address. You have a $50 embedded Linux device receiving that data on the other end of the line, and counting too. It is as accurate as hardware and firmware permit. If you distrust the modem, you could interpose a highly accurate Linux gateway, but give it a go.

Aren't you trying to check both Exetel's readings and their relationship to your Windows download size?

Anth34

Post by Anth34 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:27 pm

yes trying to get some evidence of the huge amount of extra megabytes added to my monthly usage meter?
If I do not download any files everything is ok, I have surfed the web all day without downloading anything only viewing web pages I do not go over 150mb.
The next day I download 1.2gb and it shows as 1.7gb on my usage meter, sometimes higher than that.
Is that normal?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:48 pm

It looks high, but it might be normal. Data packets (frames in your stats) carry a lot of information to enable delivery, as well as the data itself. Small packets (ie, lots of them for a given download size) may have a payload of only half their size; big packets might carry an overhead of 15%. On top of those losses, bad packets will be simply thrown away, and need to be resent. Error checking procedures in your software can ask for a resend too. You have no control over the data being sent by a remote site.

It has been said that TCP/IP is like sending a novel to your grandmother through the mail using addressed postcards with a few words on each.

Anth34

Post by Anth34 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm using IDM download manger.
Would there be any better download managers than IDM that would maybe reduce the extra megs added to each download?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 pm

No. It is a function of ethernet and TCP/IP This is deep down in the system and is a standard developed 30 years ago before Windows etc were in use. That is why your computer can communicate - the technique is universal.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:26 pm

The discrepancy seems to arise as you, and Netlimiter 2 Pro are counting the resulting downloads only. As Dazzled says, each packet of information sent from and to your computer is packaged up in a datagram that contains extra info. Think of it like a posted package: the contents in the box is the data, but the box and packaging itself adds weight and volume to the parcel. So the true size of data being downloaded by your computer is genuinely larger than just the files you download.

A simple way to demonstrate this is to prepare your computer to download a particular file and just before starting the download, with nothing else running in the background (including web pages with ads, etc) bring up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc). Access the Networking tab, then View > Select Columns > Check the Bytes Sent and Bytes Received. Then commence the download and once it is finished, compare the total bytes received vs the download file size and you will notice the difference. This is because the Windows Task Manager is recording the size of each packet entering your network card and not just the data written to your hard drive. The resetting the router stats will accomplish the same thing too (it will count the bytes entering the modem).

See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 57#p249157 for some other sources of overhead too. 30% is slightly high for an overhead ratio, but not massively so. 15-25% in overheads is quite explainable and typical.