iiNet ADSL2 to Exetel Naked

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bigshow

iiNet ADSL2 to Exetel Naked

Post by bigshow » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 am

Is the procedure for switching from iiNet ADSL2 to Exetel Naked still:
> Transfer line rental back to Telstra
> Disconnect iiNet ADSL2
> Apply for Exetel naked?

Is it possible to port the PSTN number to Exetel VoIP?

thejeg

Re: iiNet ADSL2 to Exetel Naked

Post by thejeg » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 am

Hi bigshow,
> Disconnect iiNet ADSL2
Yes! This is the correct procedure of switching your service from iiNet to eXetel :)
Is it possible to port the PSTN number to Exetel VoIP?
Yes! this is possible

Cheers,
Tj :wink:

whoknows

Post by whoknows » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm

According to http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... he_PSTN%3F
is it not possible to port PSTN numbers across to exetel VOIP. I guess that should changed to say that it is possible,
and can be done when applying for a "Naked" ADSL service.

.... and of course I can make that change myself. So I did :-)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:14 pm

thejeg wrote:Hi bigshow,
> Disconnect iiNet ADSL2
Yes! This is the correct procedure of switching your service from iiNet to eXetel :)
Has the recent addition of the Telstra $100 disconnection fee changed this procedure? Because otherwise bigshow will be up for an extra $100 cost in the provisioning process

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:46 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Has the recent addition of the Telstra $100 disconnection fee changed this procedure? Because otherwise bigshow will be up for an extra $100 cost in the provisioning process
That would depend on whether iiNet ADSL2 is provided over ULL or LSS?
Moving from ULL would require the provision of a new connection to the Telstra network? So $59 + $100 (disconnect <3mth temporary line fee)?
LSS customers are already wholesale line rental (Telstra) customers so there would be no temporary line fee as they always had a Telstra wholesale line, just the retailer changes?

My reading of the $100 temporary line fee was that it was designed to make it less desirable for people who have moved house to pay $59 to connect a Telstra line then apply for naked ADSL the next day. Telstra's justification was that it costs them more than $59 to connect/provision/flick a switch on a line because they are extraordinarily inept and / or inefficient?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 pm

bigshow wrote:That would depend on whether iiNet ADSL2 is provided over ULL or LSS?
Actually, it would depend on whether Exetel ADSL2+ is provided over ULL or LSS.

iiNet is on their own infrastructure. The old process was to cancel the iiNet service(s), apply for a fresh PSTN line (let us say via Telstra) and then apply for Exetel ADSL2+ services. If you went with a PTL plan, your phone service would remain on Telstra (as Exetel PTL ADSL2+ is provided via SSS). If you went with an Optus service (INC2DSL or Naked) then your phone line would migrate from Telstra to Optus.

The effect of the new Telstra $100 early termination fee is that if you use Telstra to get a clean PSTN line, and then you migrate to an INC2DSL or Naked plan, you would incur $100 extra.

In light of this extra cosst, Exetel have begun provisioning new phone lines directly, bypassing Telstra completely and so avoid the $100 + $59 cost. However, this process is currently only available only to existing Exetel customers who are relocating their service. It will (eventually) be made available to new customers so I was just wondering whether thejeg's comments still stand.

I suspect that the $100 + $59 is the only current migration path available, but perhaps in the near future (and there is no ETA) there will be a different path which replaces the $100 + $59 fee paid to Telstra with a $50 fee paid to Exetel.

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Corey.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:16 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
The effect of the new Telstra $100 early termination fee is that if you use Telstra to get a clean PSTN line, and then you migrate to an INC2DSL or Naked plan, you would incur $100 extra.

In light of this extra cosst, Exetel have begun provisioning new phone lines directly, bypassing Telstra completely and so avoid the $100 + $59 cost. However, this process is currently only available only to existing Exetel customers who are relocating their service. It will (eventually) be made available to new customers so I was just wondering whether thejeg's comments still stand.
I'd like to refer my sister-in-law but I don't think she has an existing phone line (Moving into a 12 month lease townhouse) Is this going to be available to "new" customers any time soon?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Unsure. There has not yet been any specific mention of making this available to new customers yet, so any estimates would be pure speculation.

There are a few alternatives available:
  • Wait a few months to see if / when Exetel offer line activations for new customers
  • Get the Telstra line now and keep it for 3 months before applying for an Exetel service (this could be an option if you, say, have a HSPA service you can loan her)
  • Get the Telstra line now, and just incur the $100 temporary line termination fee. When added to the $59 activation this is about $109 more than the cost of direct activation Exetel is offering current customers and over the 12 month contract amounts to only $9/month extra. By putting it into this context she may be willing to just bear the cost and/or write it off against any cost savings compared to other ISPs.