ADSL2 Available for Warilla, NSW Exchange?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
squeakytown

ADSL2 Available for Warilla, NSW Exchange?

Post by squeakytown » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Can you please confirm if the Warilla exchange has any adsl2 ports available for adsl2/bundles plans thru Exetel?
An adsl2 exchange website I found says Optus has no ports left.

Is it worth putting a request in just in case?
It maybe rare but does Exetel have a waiting list for ports when people disconnect?

Thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL2 Available for Warilla, NSW Exchange?

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:18 am

squeakytown wrote:Is it worth putting a request in just in case?
Yes. Ports open up all the time as people disconnect or relocate.
squeakytown wrote:It maybe rare but does Exetel have a waiting list for ports when people disconnect?
Sorry, no such list exists

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks - To apply for ADSL2 you have to have a working phone line first.

I just rang Optus to get a phone line and they have said there are no avaiaible lines for them.
Does this mean I cannot apply for an Exetel ADLS2/Phone plan or does Exetel have its own ports?
Can I just get a Telstra land line and then apply for Exetel (but don't exetel use Optus phone)?

I would prefer the adsl2/phone plan, but if this is not possible is adsl1 an option at the Warilla Exchange with Exetel on a telstra home phone line?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:19 pm

The standard procedure is to connect a Telstra line first, then apply for Exetel ADSL/ADSL2+. If necessary, the line will be automatically migrated to Optus infrastructure and then ADSL activated.

However, you should be aware that Telstra now have a $100 early termination fee for phone lines that are migrated in such a fashioned within the first 3 months of line activation. So this will increase the cost of activation if you went down this route. Plus, given the port availability, there is no guarantee that any ports will even be available.

Exetel are in the process of revising their procedures to activate the phone line and ADSL in one go to avoid Telstra and their excessive charges but such processes are not yet available to new customers (only relocations for existing Exetel customers).

So you seem to have three choices:
  • Activate a Telstra line, and continually try applying for Exetel ADSL. Once a port is freed, the activation will proceed but if this is within the first 3 month you will incur an extra $100 from Telstra
  • Activate a line now, wait three months (hopefully ports will free up) then apply for Exetel ADSL and avoid the extra Telstra charge
  • Wait a short amount of time and watch for developments in provisioning methods that enable you to apply directly via Exetel. Sorry, but I don't know of any ETA of this process
If you can get a Telstra phone line, then ADSL1 is definitely an option. In fact, as the Telstra termination fee is similar to an Exetel ADSl1 termination fee (3 months vs 6 months though), this may be a preferred way to proceed