ADSL application rejected on activation day

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
pstanton

ADSL application rejected on activation day

Post by pstanton » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm trying to start a business which requires a good reliable internet connection.

On the 18th of August I rang my previous provider (IINet) and asked them to cancel their service so that another provider could pick it up. I then placed my order with Exetel who told me it would take 10 business days for Optus to allocate my service.

At some point I confirmed with Exetel that the application was in progress without problems.

At 430pm on the 10th business day when my service was scheduled for activation (Monday), I thought I'd call Exetel to see how they were progressing and to confirm that I was due to be activated that day. Only at that point was I informed that my application had been rejected (they'd found that out at 5pm on the Friday). They said that their provider (Optus) had been unable to allocate the service because there was an outstanding order on the line. Apparently my previous provider (IINet/Telstra) must have not cleared the line properly. I found all of this out after about an hour on the phone.

So my next step was to call Telstra and check the status of the line. They informed me that there were no codes on the line and that there was no reason my line could not be allocated by another provider. They confirmed that there was no recent status changes, and that the line was in this 'clear' state prior to the Friday in question. I also rang IINet who confirmed that there were no codes held for my line.

So now I'm a little bit pissed, and have contacted Exetel to find out what the next step is but they cannot clarify the cause for the rejection and have told me that I will have to wait another 10 business days for my service activation. In the mean time, I have already been billed by Exetel (actually, 4 days prior to the service being originally scheduled for activation!) and they have not offered to provide a temporary alternative or cover my costs for an alternative internet connection.

Again, I DEPEND on a good internet connection to run my business and would be losing money without one.

So please Exetel, give me some information I can work with before I'm forced to pull the plug on your little charade.

Regards, Paul Stanton.

JasonM

Re: ADSL application rejected on activation day

Post by JasonM » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm half tempted to suggest you look elsewhere with comments like the below:
So please Exetel, give me some information I can work with before I'm forced to pull the plug on your little charade.
I can see from the outset that you want to use it for Business, maybe you need a business grade service, with business grade service level agreements - such that if any problems crept up, there are financial incentives to get it fixed.

On the other hand, if you want to use a residential service, fully accepting that it's not guaranteed, and delays like this can happen from time to time, then please PM the service number you applied under, and I'll check the rejection further and see if we can get it back on track..

pstanton

Post by pstanton » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Jason,

Hopefully you can appreciate that some small business' have cashflow considerations especially when starting up.

Also, I'm sorry you take offence to my statement, however maybe if I hadn't spent over 2 hours on hold with all of the above stated companies trying to sort this out, and maybe if the exetel support staff had been able to give me more information, and maybe notified me earlier that there was a problem i wouldn't be so frustrated.

I've PM'd my number, Any help really is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Paul.

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Hello Paul,

Which department were you waiting on the phone for over 2hours? Do you have the specific time and which phone number you used to call?

Martin
Martin
eXeTeL Support

pstanton

Post by pstanton » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 pm

sorry, maybe i should have been a little clearer ...
however maybe if I hadn't spent over 2 hours on hold with all of the above stated companies
when i said two hours i was including my hold times for telstra and IINet when trying to clarify the issue, all of which was fruitless.

i was on hold for a total of probably less than 1 hour with exetel, during 3 different calls. the first call i was transferred to a dead line - ie it went to someone's message bank after i'd been on the line for some 20 minutes. the other two probably totalled 10-20 minutes each after being transferred once on each. i was calling the syd number and pressing '4' for the provisioning department.

Martin, FYI - Jason has given me some more helpful information via PM, and I am hopeful this will be resolved within the next few business days.

Infact, it would seem that the forum is probably a better avenue for technical support than the callcentre ...

pstanton

Post by pstanton » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:26 pm

also, when i said i'd already been charged - at the time i thought it was the first of my monthly bills, however i'm told was a line activation fee.