Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
sano86
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:27 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by sano86 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 am

will let you know more tomorrow, as at this time of night my WoW always seems to have issues with high latency. Never thought much of it before

sano86
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:27 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by sano86 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 am

after playing for a while - besides having high latency like usual at this time of night - im getting bad spikes again (but again for some reason @ about this time my game usually plays up and I stop playing, so will let you know more when playing on saturday)

ragnarmarkos
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ragnarmarkos » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:45 am

still no change here - router off overnight, started again this morning (saturday 9.30am) - to be greeted with 10000 mps latency - after several failed attempts to connect.

sent ping details through to residential support - they came out fine. As follows:

C:\Users\Damon Williams>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Damon Williams>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Damon Williams>

Ping to Exetel:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Damon Williams>ping 220.233.0.9

Pinging 220.233.0.9 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=60 Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=60 Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=60 Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 220.233.0.9:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms


Did tracert to wow login server - results attached:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Damon Williams>tracert us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

Tracing route to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com [12.129.232.111]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.2.1
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.1.1.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms 10.0.1.22
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 32 ms 33 ms 32 ms 37.2.233.220.static.exetel.com.au [220.233.2.37]

7 34 ms 33 ms 32 ms 119.225.5.249
8 34 ms 33 ms 33 ms 10.249.24.3
9 34 ms 34 ms 33 ms 61.88.221.63
10 193 ms 193 ms 194 ms 203.208.148.89
11 * 194 ms 193 ms te-4-2.car2.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.79.42.229]
12 194 ms 194 ms 195 ms ae-13-69.car3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.68.18.5]
13 197 ms 196 ms 196 ms level3-gw.sffca.ip.att.net [192.205.33.77]
14 207 ms 206 ms 206 ms cr1.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.137.22]
15 208 ms 208 ms 206 ms cr1.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.3.122]
16 204 ms 205 ms 206 ms gar5.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.128.25]
17 205 ms 204 ms 205 ms 12.122.255.74
18 208 ms 205 ms 205 ms mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.12
9.193.242]
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Damon Williams>




*Edit* Having difficulty even staying connected now, or even logging in as the massive lag spikes are knocking me off. I know you are looking at it - but would really appreciate this getting fixed ASAP.

ilce
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ilce » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:53 am

Between 2am and 12pm is not the best time to be testing as Exetels service is aweful at that time due to downloaders, and Sat morning is the worst day of the week too as all the Weekend downloaders come out of the woodwork.

madar
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:35 am
Location: NSW

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by madar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:03 am

logged on WoW 10:00 am saturday... Lag spikes are still here, and becoming quite serious.
Is there any information as to what the cause is and an ETA for it to be fixed?

ragnarmarkos
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ragnarmarkos » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 am

ilce wrote:Between 2am and 12pm is not the best time to be testing as Exetels service is aweful at that time due to downloaders, and Sat morning is the worst day of the week too as all the Weekend downloaders come out of the woodwork.
that being said, prior to the IP change my sat morning connection was fine...i would think it a better test than when no one is around as that would give you a false reading of the stability...

There is quite a difference between high traffic lag and something seriously wrong, and unfortunately this is the latter :(

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by thomashouseman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:42 am

Bad here too:

Pinging http://www.smh.com.au [60.254.186.24] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 60.254.186.24:
Packets: Sent = 62, Received = 57, Lost = 5 (8% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 21ms

ilce
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ilce » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 am

I would just check it at 2pm (as am I) and see what its like then (mine cleared up beofre the off peak period) and is now crap (which I assume is just due to normal sat morning traffic)

The lag u get when 1 million exetel users are all downloading stuff is as worse as the lag spikes we were getting the last 2 days on normal time.

Dont worry, if the lag is still ther after 2pm then I too will go crazy :)

ragnarmarkos
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ragnarmarkos » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Ilce, my point is though, that 'normal' saturday morning latency for me on wow is around 400-500ms - this morning i could barely log on, and when i did i was averaging 9000.

that ain't right :)

ilce
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ilce » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:30 pm

I agree, something wasnt right

I went to download something after your posts and was barely doing 7k per sec. After 1pm back to normal.

Download speeds are good now and WOW seems stable.

What about you now?

ragnarmarkos
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by ragnarmarkos » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 pm

Seems ok (3pm) - just did a battleground and pottered around in some heavyily populated zones - no lag spikes and latency was back to normal and consistent. Still worried about high traffic times though - I appreciate things may be slower, but they shouldnt reduce everything to a standstill like they did this morning. That hasnt happened before.

*Edit* spoke too soon - back to 1000ms as of 3.45. I think we may be just getting periods where traffic isnt as bad which is giving us false hope, but whatever is causing the problem doesnt seem to have gone away or been fixed...

sano86
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:27 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by sano86 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:03 pm

it looked fine earlier - but now just logged on again and people are porting from lag spikes again.

will play for a while and see what happens.

WilliamC
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by WilliamC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:25 pm

sano86 wrote:it looked fine earlier - but now just logged on again and people are porting from lag spikes again.

will play for a while and see what happens.
Are you still having the problem ?

WilliamC
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by WilliamC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:47 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Bad here too:

Pinging http://www.smh.com.au [60.254.186.24] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=56
Reply from 60.254.186.24: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 60.254.186.24:
Packets: Sent = 62, Received = 57, Lost = 5 (8% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 21ms
Have you reset your modem ?

shadders
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Large lag spikes (for everything) since IP change

Post by shadders » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:02 am

I'm on ADSL 1 8192/384 but I've been having the same problem for several days... I found this thread earlier today and I've reset my modem and tried leaving it off for 1/2 hour. It seemed to be marginally better at first but it's dreadful again soon after... Downloads from exetel mirror averaging 100-150kb/s at best but usually 50-100kb/s. Normally I'd be getting 500+ from the exetel mirror.

Downloads from outside exetel are lucky to break 50kb/s. Even surfing is painfully slow.

Post Reply