My sync speed has dropped - what can I do?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
whoknows

My sync speed has dropped - what can I do?

Post by whoknows » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Until recently my ADSL2 (with phone) service would sync at around 8Mb/sec giving me download speeds as high as 600KB/sec.

I have been monitoring the connection by downloading the exetel speed test page every half hour and watching the result with mrtg.

On Friday 4th at around 9pm, the max throughput dropped to around 300KB/sec and when I checked the sync speed it was down around 3Mb/sec.

I've tried making sure the phone line does not run close to the power line or any plug packs and have managed to coax the sync speed up to 5703700b/sec, but this is significantly less that it was before and seems to require ideal conditions around my end of the line.

This this something for which it is worth raising a support request with exetel? or is there something else I can do? or am I stuck with the slower speed (maybe we were moved a few hundred metres further from the exchange in my sleep??).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: My sync speed has dropped - what can I do?

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:50 pm

whoknows wrote:This this something for which it is worth raising a support request with exetel? or is there something else I can do? or am I stuck with the slower speed (maybe we were moved a few hundred metres further from the exchange in my sleep??).
I think you are stuck with it. It is above the minimum threshold for ADSL2+ so it won't be able to be escalated if a fault is lodged.

What may have happened is some sort of maintenance on your line (and it may naturally be resolved on its own). The ADSL2+ syncs depends not only on distance, but a number of things like the number of splices in the cable between you and the exchange, the number of other phone / ADSL services between you and the exchange, the quality of the cable itself, and waterlogged telecommunication pits can deteriorate an ADSL service quite substantially.

whoknows

Post by whoknows » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for that.

It could well be a waterlogged telecommunications pit. I think it did rain quite a bit shortly before the big drop in sync rates, and it has been slowly getting better. Just now I told the modem to resync and it got a speed of 5718700 b/s which is the best yet, and while not much more than 5703700, that was a lucky high it turned out.... I'll keep waiting and hope in improves.

whoknows

Post by whoknows » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Just incase anyone comes across this and wonders...

It stayed around 4Mb/sec until just recently when it dropped to 1Mb/sec and then to zero. Both phone and internet stopped working.

I reported this and within the 48 hours suggested as typical a man from Telstra came out and bypassed a bad joint in a hole under the foot path out the front.

Then the phone worked but the internet was still 1Mb/sec. But after running like that for about 4 hours, it jumped up to 10Mb/sec. Must more satisfactory.

So if your speed drops, hope that it will keep dropping until it dies completely. Then someone might actually fix it properly.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:32 pm

whoknows wrote:So if your speed drops, hope that it will keep dropping until it dies completely. Then someone might actually fix it properly.
Circumstances differ depending on line conditions!
Some cases are simple, line test is bad, so we can get the tech, others the line is long, and the tests look normal, the probability that the distance is the root cause is therefore higher, and so is the possibility the tech won't find a fault.