Questions on my ADSL2+ plan.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
jakiman

Questions on my ADSL2+ plan.

Post by jakiman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm currently on the following plan which is phoneline + internet and not on a contract:
Plan Type: INC2DSLF
Monthly Access Charge: $125.00

If I wanted to move my phoneline to back to Telstra:

1. How do I go about doing this? (seems free to switch to Telstra)
2. What are the outcome of my internet service if I switch my phone line?
3. If I have to switch the internet plan to "PTL", is this automatic or do I have to request it? (Should I do this after telstra switches my service?)
4. If I have to switch to a PTL plan, does it cost anything to switch?
5. Does my contract restart and will I be stuck on another 12 months?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Questions on my ADSL2+ plan.

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Your phone line is currently Unconditioned Local Loop (ULL) and everything on it comes from Optus exchange equipment. You can't take up PTL, which is line shared. If the line is sent back to Telstra you will automatically lose the Optus-based ADSL2 internet, and you will have to re-apply for a new internet service to be connected using line sharing, which could be Exetel/PTL if it's available at your exchange.

jakiman

Post by jakiman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Oh. Thanks for that info. So which is the right step to do first?

1. Should I cancel all of my ADSL2+/Phone service with Exetel first? (But will this disconnect my phone line from all providers?)
2. Can I cancel "just" the internet and not the phone line with Optus? (so that telstra can switch it for free instead of a whole new connection)
3. Or should I just get Telstra to move my line first? (which will disconnect my internet. But then do I still have to request to "Cancel" my internet service still?)

My Goal = I want the least downtime for my internet. But change my phone line back to Telstra.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Tel$tra just loves taking ULL lines back from Optus! See http://www.telstra.com.au/switch/home.htm Exetel services will simply drop off, although it would be prudent to get in touch with Exetel to ensure your account is finalised. This would all entail a new Telstra connection, and you are back to dealing with them. Where you go then for a new internet service would depend on the depth of your pockets and who is locally available for line sharing, beside Bigpond.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 pm

jakiman wrote:My Goal = I want the least downtime for my internet. But change my phone line back to Telstra.
I think you will be stuck with 10-14 days of downtime.

As Dazzled says, Telstra will gladly take back control of your phone line. Once they do, your current ADSL2 services will immediately cease to work. You then contact Exetel to close your account to ensure you are not charged further. You can then apply for a PTL plan as a new customer which can take 10-14 days.

May I ask why you wish to change your phone line back to Telstra? I only ask because I can only think of the following reasons:
  • You saw something about Customer Service Waiver and got told that if you have a phone line through Telstra, you retain a Customer Service Guarantee. If so, just ensure you know what a CSG entails, because there is very little practical difference
  • You wish to migrate from an Optus ADSL service to a Powertel one, perhaps in the hope of faster speeds? If so, you should ensure PTL plans are available to you (http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_no_phone.pl) before you proceed
  • You desire some of the Telstra phone line features. If so, you may first wish to confirm whether equivalent features already exist on your current INC2DSL /Optus phone line.
  • You wish to save money. If so, you probably want to re-examine matters because INC2DSL is cheaper than the equivalent PTL plans + Telstra Homeline phone rental

jakiman

Post by jakiman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 am

There is one more option that was on my mind. Possibly moving to different ISP/Plan as my contract just ended.
But I just wanted to know my options / best procedures and how long the downtime will be.
But I'm not sure if I can afford to have around 10-14days downtime. So that's stopping me the most.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Moving back to a Telstra line is more flexible for migrating ADSL2 providers, but you may not need to do this as some providers can provision their ADSL from Optus equipment anyway (for example, I think since TPG, iiNet and Internode use their own infrastructure to provide phone and internet so it may not matter what infrastructure you are currently on).

tjioer

Post by tjioer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:44 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
jakiman wrote:My Goal = I want the least downtime for my internet. But change my phone line back to Telstra.
May I ask why you wish to change your phone line back to Telstra? I only ask because I can only think of the following reasons:
  • You saw something about Customer Service Waiver and got told that if you have a phone line through Telstra, you retain a Customer Service Guarantee. If so, just ensure you know what a CSG entails, because there is very little practical difference
Sorry can I just ask what the difference is? It's probably too late to ask now, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Say I experience a fault with my phone line. Do I contact Telstra or Exetel to fix it, and if Exetel, do I have to pay Telstra for the maintenance?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:53 pm

tjioer, if you are on a bundled INC* or naked plan, your phone line contract is with Exetel. Other companies won't want to know you if you contact them directly. Exetel's contractor will carry out any repairs required under its deal with Exetel. Only Exetel sends you bills.

The CSG primarily operates as a small dollar refund if repairs take too long, see http://www.tio.com.au/FAQ/csg.htm. The CSG was imposed on Telstra by legislation introduced by the previous government.

ADSL1 and PTL plans are carried on the same line as a Telstra phone plan. Phone faults in these cases go direct to Telstra.

tjioer

Post by tjioer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:16 pm

Dazzled wrote:tjioer, if you are on a bundled INC* or naked plan, your phone line contract is with Exetel. Other companies won't want to know you if you contact them directly. Exetel's contractor will carry out any repairs required under its deal with Exetel. Only Exetel sends you bills.

The CSG primarily operates as a small dollar refund if repairs take too long, see http://www.tio.com.au/FAQ/csg.htm. The CSG was imposed on Telstra by legislation introduced by the previous government.

ADSL1 and PTL plans are carried on the same line as a Telstra phone plan. Phone faults in these cases go direct to Telstra.
Thanks for the explanation. I've read the TIO link and it seems that the only difference lies in the deadline for repairing faults. The refund is too small to be worth thinking about in any case.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:45 pm

tjioer wrote:I've read the TIO link and it seems that the only difference lies in the deadline for repairing faults. The refund is too small to be worth thinking about in any case.
Correct. But people see the words / terms "by accepting an Exetel provided phone services you waive the Customer Service Guarantee on your phone line" and they think it is significant. But as you point out, the different in practical terms is very marginal and just because the guarantee is waived, this doesn't mean anything as Exetel try to resolve faults as quickly as possible anyway.