Multiple Dwelling Unit? Optus? Telstra?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
caspersky

Multiple Dwelling Unit? Optus? Telstra?

Post by caspersky » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi

I know this might not be the right place to ask but i'll try anyway. Does it make a difference if i apply for a land line with Optus or Telstra? I lived in a townhouse last year (is Multiple Dwelling Unit the right name?) and was with Exetel ADSL1 with a Telstra land line. When i checked through Naked ADSL2 availability using the Telstra number the result shows that it is not available. I moved out earlier this year and since then was happy with the Naked ADSL2 service. Now that i am moving back to the old townhouse area, and when i emailed Exetel Provisioning Team i was told that the address i provided (the townhouse address) has Optus equipment and Naked ADSL is available. Why is that so? Will Naked ADSL2 become available if the land line is rented with Optus?

I failed to realise that Exetel can relocate my ADSL service without the need to apply for a new line on my end and went to apply for Optus home phone 2 weeks ago, which i have yet to receive any notification from them when it is to be connected. I rang Optus today asking about my application status and all i got was a bunch of rude representatives transferring me from this department to that department and telling me no record is found. Any thoughts? I so wish i could cancel the Optus home phone and relocate directly from Exetel...

Regards

Caspersky

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Multiple Dwelling Unit? Optus? Telstra?

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 pm

caspersky wrote:Does it make a difference if i apply for a land line with Optus or Telstra?
Regardless of whether you are on an Optus or Telstra phone line the ADSL availability checker should return all the available services for your location, so I'm not sure why the Naked ADSL was previously displayed as unavailable. Perhaps it only recently became available?

But anyway, on to your question: To my knowledge Optus land lines come with 24 month contracts, which is why the usual recommendation used to be to go with a Telstra landline. Recently however, Telstra introduced a $100 early termination fee for activated phone lines that are migrated away or cancelled within the first 3 months. This effectively raised the activation price of new INC2DSL and Naked Exetel activations by $100 in addition to the $59 phone activation cost. In response to this, Exetel have a new process (which you are now aware of and for which they only charge $50 extra in total) allowing for relocations of Exetel ADSL services without the need to provision a new line at all.

That is the background anyway (I hope it is useful). In your case, you have already applied for an Optus home phone. I think that this complicates things a lot. You should first check if have unknowingly entered into a 24 month contract, and if so, what the exit penalties are. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 77845.html seems to be of relevance. You should then email provisioning@exetel.com.au to see what path forward is available for you. There should be something that can be worked out, but it may involve breaking the Optus service and contract and replacing it with Exetel Naked ADSL2

caspersky

Post by caspersky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks for the reply Corev. Somehow my land line seems to be connected with Telstra (again). However, when i enter my telephone number (which is the same as the phone number i used for Exetel Naked ADSL2) into the Naked ADSL2 availability checker, the result shows

SQ result unavailable at this time due to system error. Please try again later., 80008
SQ function is currently not availabble for telephone number (07xxxxx338).

Is there anyway to resolve it?

Cheers

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 pm

caspersky wrote:Is there anyway to resolve it?
The SQ availability? No, that means the backend system for phone number checking is not available at the moment. You can email residentialsales@exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your phone number to confirm availability.

Also, as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_ ... ture_codes you can use the phone number 12722123 to ID your current landline number and confirm you are connected to Telstra. The Optus equivalent is 1272312