Querie on ADSL2 availability

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
ashlan

Querie on ADSL2 availability

Post by ashlan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Hello think-tank:)

In the past I have found it difficult to ascertain if ADSL2 is available on my exchange. A previous attempt (2 years ago) failed due to 'incompatible RIM'.

However, most sites (ie Telstra) where you 'check my number for available services' will tell me ADSL2 is available on my exchange.

I would love to change to DSL2 - ExeTel has some great packages at the moment, but I don't know the best way to find out if it's currently available on my exchange? Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Ash
Perth WA · ADSL1 8192/384 · Netgear DGN220v3
WWW: Ashlan Nathens · scribblegraph
GPlus: +Ashlan Nathens · +scribblegraph

JasonM

Re: Querie on ADSL2 availability

Post by JasonM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Unfortunately, RIM or pair gain services can't be upgraded to ADSL2+.
I've checked and we can't supply an ADSL2+ service to you.

ashlan

Post by ashlan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:36 pm

JasonM wrote:Unfortunately, RIM or pair gain services can't be upgraded to ADSL2+.
I've checked and we can't supply an ADSL2+ service to you.
Jason - many thanks.

ashlan

Post by ashlan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Jason - I actually found another thread I had posted on this issue.

A followed a few links supplied in Post #2 (CoreyPlover) ADSL2 Exchange site tells me it is available on my exchange. ExeTel's equivalent says it isn't.

Is this "ADSL2 Exchange" site just wrong? Or might I get a DSL2 service thruogh another carrier? My understanding is that current infrastructure is the problem, and that it simply isn't available on my phone line. So why is this site telling me it is?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Your service is not supplied directly from the exchange, but a RIM or pair gains system fed from the exchange does - this means our supplier's (both) ADSL2+ equipment cannot reach your premises from the exchange.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:14 pm

RIMs look like this http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn19 ... ection.jpg or this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... d_CMUX.jpg. If you hunt around the neighbourhood streets you might find it.

ashlan

Post by ashlan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:30 pm

JasonM wrote:Your service is not supplied directly from the exchange, but a RIM or pair gains system fed from the exchange does - this means our supplier's (both) ADSL2+ equipment cannot reach your premises from the exchange.
Ah, now I understand - many thanks Jason.
Dazzled wrote:RIMs look like this http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn19 ... ection.jpg or this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... d_CMUX.jpg. If you hunt around the neighbourhood streets you might find it.
...so if I go find it (it happens to be about 20M away from me!) and it just happens to get broken, they'd have to put in a newer, better one with a decent RIM! ...hypothetically speaking, of course.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:41 pm

ashlan wrote:...so if I go find it (it happens to be about 20M away from me!) and it just happens to get broken, they'd have to put in a newer, better one with a decent RIM! ...hypothetically speaking, of course.
Yours already provides ADSL.
Nothing you can do to get ADSL2+ there, the logistics of putting competitor ADSL2+ equipment into such small devices isn't feasible.