Speeds are absurdly slow

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Speeds are absurdly slow

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:20 am

dlinker wrote:Exetel in my opinion seems to recently have started throttling P2P between 2am and 12noon.

I've been a happy Exetel customer for more than five and a half years and while I can live with this throttling - I would like an explanation of why it was introduced.
Exetel have always deprioritised P2P. It is nothing new and Exetel have always been completely open about this. There is even a specific clause in your contract that says that Exetel has discretion to limit bandwidth available for P2P.

I'm not sure why you are noticing such an abrupt change all of a sudden. From the public MTRG graphs, off-peak traffic seems to be smoother overnight now, increasing towards 12 noon, so perhaps you are noticing a difference because the 3am-8am isn't a trough in utilisation anymore

21st100

Re: Speeds are absurdly slow

Post by 21st100 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:51 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
dlinker wrote:Exetel in my opinion seems to recently have started throttling P2P between 2am and 12noon.

I've been a happy Exetel customer for more than five and a half years and while I can live with this throttling - I would like an explanation of why it was introduced.
Exetel have always deprioritised P2P. It is nothing new and Exetel have always been completely open about this. There is even a specific clause in your contract that says that Exetel has discretion to limit bandwidth available for P2P.

I'm not sure why you are noticing such an abrupt change all of a sudden. From the public MTRG graphs, off-peak traffic seems to be smoother overnight now, increasing towards 12 noon, so perhaps you are noticing a difference because the 3am-8am isn't a trough in utilisation anymore
P2P is torrents I assume, the throttling shouldn't effect Direct Downloads from Rapidshare / Megaupload and any other server right?
This morning i am getting a cool and calm 220kb/s for 2 files downloaded from a canadian server with a 100mbps port. Both files are multichunked with10 chunks per file so 20 parallel connections.
Usually i max out my connection at 1mb/s, this is why i choose to download in the morning as it takes 30 mins to complete my downloads.

I have been downloading at this time period for ages and have had no problems at all, dont know if its a recent change or something to so with the maintenance exetel performed last night but its not looking good. :(