Nettcom NB5 Modem power interruption

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
fredfrog

Nettcom NB5 Modem power interruption

Post by fredfrog » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Whenever there is a power interruption to my modem, when power is restored the ADSL light flashes for an hour or so and connection to the net is not available. I suspect this is not normal ? It shouldn't be necessary to use the paper clip reset button trick every time the modem temporarily loses power...should it ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Nettcom NB5 Modem power interruption

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 pm

If you are referring to turning off the power switch, it is not normal. Reconnection is quite quick after turning back on. The trouble with the paper clip is you lose your config.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

fredfrog wrote:Whenever there is a power interruption to my modem, when power is restored the ADSL light flashes for an hour or so and connection to the net is not available. I suspect this is not normal ? It shouldn't be necessary to use the paper clip reset button trick every time the modem temporarily loses power...should it ?
Time to get a new modem?

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Dazzled wrote:If you are referring to turning off the power switch, it is not normal. Reconnection is quite quick after turning back on. The trouble with the paper clip is you lose your config.
Yes, it's whenever there is a blackout or the power inadvertntly turned off. I have been finding something else to do while waiting. Have witnessed other modems reconnecting almost immediately at friends places. Haven't resorted to the paper clip because of the config thing.

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:15 pm

James wrote:
fredfrog wrote:Whenever there is a power interruption to my modem, when power is restored the ADSL light flashes for an hour or so and connection to the net is not available. I suspect this is not normal ? It shouldn't be necessary to use the paper clip reset button trick every time the modem temporarily loses power...should it ?
Time to get a new modem?
I have a sneaking suspicion you are right. I'm now getting occasional windows messages telling me internet explorer has encountered a problem and the program has closed.....but it keeps going normally. Sometimes internet explorer cant connect and all modem lights are solid and the network connection status is "good".

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Have you looked at the modem system log? Under Status.

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 am

Dazzled wrote:Have you looked at the modem system log? Under Status.

Is this what you mean ? Afraid it all means nothing to me

PPPoE Connect with IP Address 220.233.76.217
remote IP address 220.233.1.150
PPPoE Connection Successfully Established
PPPoE Connect with Gateway IP Address: 220.233.1.150
primary DNS address 220.233.0.3
secondary DNS address 220.233.0.4
DSL Carrier is down
DSL Carrier is down
DSL Carrier is up
PPPD Terminated Through Signal
Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.
Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
Connection terminated.
Doing disconnect
pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Got connection: 2005
Saved Session ID: 0
Session ID Used: 2005
Connect: ppp0 {--} nas0
PPPoE Connect with IP Address 220.233.76.217
PPPoE Connection Successfully Established
PPPoE Connect with Gateway IP Address: 220.233.1.150
local IP address 220.233.76.217
remote IP address 220.233.1.150
primary DNS address 220.233.0.3
secondary DNS address 220.233.0.4

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

fredfrog wrote:Is this what you mean ? Afraid it all means nothing to me
Doesn't mean much to me either. I must admit, apart from the "Couldn't increase MTU to 1500" messages, there doesn't seem to be any apparent errors in there. Is it possible to borrow / swap your modem for a friends temporarily just to test whether a replacement modem is worth spending money on. All you need to test is how fast the borrowed modem reconnects after it is powered off so you only need to borrow it for the afternoon. Most modems have the ability to export configuration settings to a file as well so you should be able to export your friend's configuration, reset and configure for Exetel, then test and then restore the configuration in a single afternoon.

Or alternatively, find a computer shop with a flexible returns policy *shrug*

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:26 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
fredfrog wrote:Is this what you mean ? Afraid it all means nothing to me
Doesn't mean much to me either. I must admit, apart from the "Couldn't increase MTU to 1500" messages, there doesn't seem to be any apparent errors in there. Is it possible to borrow / swap your modem for a friends temporarily just to test whether a replacement modem is worth spending money on. All you need to test is how fast the borrowed modem reconnects after it is powered off so you only need to borrow it for the afternoon. Most modems have the ability to export configuration settings to a file as well so you should be able to export your friend's configuration, reset and configure for Exetel, then test and then restore the configuration in a single afternoon.

Or alternatively, find a computer shop with a flexible returns policy *shrug*
Thanks for your interest Corey Plover (also "Dazzled"). I think I'll leave it resting while all the green lights are solid and there's no problems with connection. Just hope I don't bump the power board and there's no blackouts. If it still drags on next power loss I'll get a new modem....when you get to 70 it's only money & you can't take it with you.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 pm

Maybe time to invest in a small UPS? I have been running the same one for about 8 years. It's small and has 4 power outlets. I cycle the battery every three years and usually test every 3 months.

Worse thing you can do is subject your expensive gear to brown outs. Although if you are looking to replace your gear then it's not a bad option ;)